WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Normal, Illinois, USA
Normal
Illinois
USA

Corian
Jul 21st, 2016 at 11:25am

I have had these Corian cut-outs for a while now. I would like to use them with wood. Either top ring of a bowl or sandwiched in-between.  Has any one ever done this with success?  What adhesive did you use between the Corian and the wood?  I did try in the past to make a pen blank using epoxy and it came apart. Is Ca glue the answer?  Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks  Denny   

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Dave Gill
WR Champion

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Re: Corian
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2016 at 11:56am

I did a search in the video section of this site for Corian and only found one reference but it had nothing about turning or gluing it.

I did a search on You Tube for "Turning Corian" and found several videos available.

Remember that not all turning videos on You Tube demonstrate the safest turning practices. You have to judge is it is safe for you to follow.

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world...and fool enough to think that's what I'll find!

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2016 at 12:01pm

denny davis wrote on Jul 21st, 2016 at 11:25am:
I did try in the past to make a pen blank using epoxy and it came apart. Is Ca glue the answer?  Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks  Denny 

CA glue is probably not the answer because it is usually to brittle to use in this type of application.
I have used some (other than wood) products to make up a pen blank in the past, while it can be fragile, it usually only needs to withstand the drilling. Once the brass tube is inserted and glued. it becomes much more stable and should withstand the turning process.
Some Epoxies will work provided they are designed for the materials used, in your case Corian & some species of wood.

There are many polyurethane glues (gorilla) available that are quite strong, some foam more than others. Make sure to clean oily wood species with acetone before gluing

sandwiched in-between

If you are laminating or sandwiching two dissimilar materials, sometime it's necessary to provide some type mechanical connection when gluing. This can range from scuffing the surface with sandpaper to inserting a staple and clipping off the head leaving a small barb for the adjacent piece to hold onto. With items like pens the brass tube does the job, otherwise you can use a dowel through the center for items like bottle stoppers.

Either top ring of a bowl

If you're planning on the rim of a bowl, the excess glue/foam will be turned away.
It is also helpful to provide something other than a butt joint when adding a rim (if possible)
Any type of mortise & tenon will provide a mechanical joint which adds more glue surface and keeps the rim from any lateral movement.
There are members here that have added a rim using various materials, I'm sure them can give you some more specific advice.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2016 at 1:47pm

Denny

All epoxy is not the same.  The Corian fabricators use a two part epoxy specially formulated to match the specific sheet color that is internally mixed in the gun as it is ejected onto the edges.  It is expensive and hard to acquire, and it does not come in small quantities.

I have had good success with System 3 T-88 epoxy.   The joint is mechanical and the surface needs to be roughened.  About 120 to 150 grit abrasives works.  Corian and similar sheet surfacing is cast and there is some variation in pattern with depth.  If building it in multiple thicknesses, finish faces together looks better than back to front.

Corian does not move much and wood does, so I have used only plastic infused wood (stabilized) with Corian glueups and then with small turnings.

Corian cannot be turned thin without increased risk of breaking.  I cannot make decorative pins (think pointed finial shapes) that survive the fall on the floor without the tips breaking off.   The pins are for shawls and tend to hit the floor from time to time.  Less than 3/16 is risky.

Dennis Keeling is a well published British author who turns a lot of surface material.  I do not recall any wood hybrid turnings, but it is a place to start a search.  Actually Dennis's specialty is man made materials and turning

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2016 at 8:30pm

Denny

I went over to the AAW Segmented Turners Chapter web page

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Several here are members of the chapter and it is a well spent $15.

A quick search found a bowl done by Dennis Keeling and a reference to his article in Woodturning January 2011

Dennis noted that he has best success with cleaning the surface material with solvents to remove oils and using flexible CA glue. 

Hope that helps.

IP Logged

David Ross
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 4:00am

Hi Denny
Dennis Keeling has a book out Segmented Turning A Practical guide in it he put together a corian bowl and a corian/wood bowl if that is of any help
David

IP Logged

Tom Hamilton
WR Supporter

WR is Great People

Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Madison
Wisconsin
USA

Robust Sweet 16
General 25-200 M1
Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 10:47am

I would use E6000. It's a NASA developed adhesive, first used to glue on the heat tiles.

It is meant for dissimilar material gluing.  When it dries it feels like silicon, but it holds much better.  After it's dry you can't get it off.

Sometimes (depending on how much air the joint gets) it takes a while to dry, but it does dry.  Then you've got a good dissimilar material joint you can rely on.

Happy Turning - Tom

Member of the Badger Woodturners - Tom

"There is no failure except in no longer trying. "
~ Elbert Hubbard

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 1:02pm

This Topic was moved here from Turning Talk by Ed Weber.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
David Mueller
WR Champion

College Station, Texas, USA
College Station
Texas
USA

Reply #8 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 3:15pm

Do a search for "Andy Chen corian" and you will find a lot of information. Andy has some corian pieces on his website at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and also on our club website at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. Andy was one of the first people to turn corian and has taught classes at major schools on its use.

As far as glue is concerned, use medium CA. He has old pieces that have never cracked or separated. Just be sure to sand both faces of the rings dead flat or you will have gaps between the rings.

Just north of Houston in Aggieland - Class of '62
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print