WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Now Pens
Jul 23rd, 2016 at 5:57pm

Haven't even ordered stoppers yet from ruthniles.com, and SWMBO is already asking for pens too.  Eyes glazed over when I saw how many different offerings just in the Craft USA catalog.

The Cincinnati wood turning group today made 190 pens for troops, all slimline twist.  May I ask what are the most often purchased basic pen styles, and any pen kit suppliers equivalent to Ruth Niles in bottle stoppers?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Now Pens
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2016 at 6:45pm

Don unfortunately there is as usual, no easy answer.
The slimline twist is probably the most popular, primarily due to the low cost of the kit.
Vendors like Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register sell dozens of different styles with a wide range of prices. While each pen style usually uses it's own unique set of bushings, different plating choice paired with different woods allow you to make a variety of looks with the same bushings.

Some kits like the slimline and other similar kits based on a 7mm drill/tube can offer a more personalized look by being able to shape the profile between the bushings. Other styles don't allow for much more than turning away waste from bushing to bushing, ending with basically just a straight barrel, these styles usually benefit from a more figured wood.

There are higher quality kits to be found but you wil pay a premium for them, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
If you haven't turned pens before, I would start with a slimline and see how you like the process.

IMO There are some pen kits that are far more about the kit than the wood turning, (not my cup of tea) if you continue turning pens you'll eventually find the balance or style that fits you.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2016 at 6:50pm

I like exoticblanks.com as well as beartoothwoods.com

Both are personable, small business firms with excellent customer service. 

Both have a good range of sizes and bling, as well as specialty pen blanks.

There are several other good small firms depending on what you want to make.

IP Logged

Steve Kniffen

WR Rocks!

Clyde, Texas, USA
Clyde
Texas
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2016 at 6:47am

I'm with Ken on vendors  Excellent companies both.  I generally check Beartooth first.  If I can get what I want there, I don't look any farther.  Price is the same as everywhere else and service is better than anywhere else.

Experience is what teaches us that we've made this mistake before ...

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2016 at 4:42pm

Don -- I admit to making pens, but more specialized.  I do not make many of the pens that use Cross style refills.  They do not lay down ink as smoothly as a better "parker style" refill.   In that style the Schmidt 9000 is as smooth as I have found, with some gel refills right there for good feel.

The pens using parker refills are a bit larger and easier to turn, especially for beginners.  One piece pens like the Sierra/Gatsby pens are nice and show off skills well.

Then there are fountain pens.... and fountain pen culture.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print