Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finish for rolling pins (Read 642 times)

RAY SIZEMORE
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Waterloo, SC, South Carolina, USA
Waterloo, SC
South Carolina
USA

jet
Finish for rolling pins
Jul 26th, 2016 at 7:37pm

I have turned a couple of rolling pins.  For a finish, I tried mineral oil on one and tung oil on the other.  I am not satisfied with either as I still feel a "stickinesss" when I feel the wood.  I want it to be hard so it will not go into the dough.  I want a clear finish and the wood is western red cedar.  Any suggestions?

Ray Sizemore, Waterloo Turner

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Finish for rolling pins
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2016 at 8:40pm

You are going to want some type if butcher block finish or salad bowl finish. That said, 'clear" is usually only found in water-based finishes, most oils will be slightly amber.
There are plenty of choices but I know you don't want to throw the natural color off the  degree of clarity you want might be the sticking point.
I'm sure other will give suggestions.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2016 at 9:30pm

When I use mineral oil I wipe on a wet coat, wait 5 minutes, and then scrub as dry as possible with clean paper towel.  If western red cedar is somewhat absorptive you might have to scrub dry more than once as the oil seeps back out of the wood.  My experience is with hard maple and black cherry, and I don't feel a stickiness after scrubbing dry.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 7:41am

I make my rolling pins from maple because its a heavy dense wood compared to western red cedar.

My concern with western red cedar is that it might leave a flavor into the dough that is being rolled out. May not be a good thing.

As to the finish, I don't use any and I find that it works the best.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2016 at 7:41am by Ron Sardo »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 9:45am

I finish my rolling pins with my wife's input.  I've used mineral oil in the past, but now use Mahoney's Walnut oil.  She says after you make a pie crust or two you really don't need finish because the oils in the crust continues to season the pin.   My mom & grandmother never washed their rolling pins, just scraped them off really good.

I'm with Ron on the cedar for a rolling pin, aromatic woods could impart a flavor.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 10:34am

I use Claphams salad bowl finish on my rolling pins and any other kitchen tools. It is just bee's wax and mineral oil paste. It leaves a smooth no sticky wood sensual surface, the cooks that have and use my pins love them.

IP Logged

Buck Nemitt
WR Supporter

Lovin It

Toronto,Ohio, Ohio, USA
Toronto,Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 2:15pm

My wife's hobby is baking and it's " no finish" at our house ( great hobby Wink).

What the heck,Give it a try---

IP Logged

Steve Kniffen

WR Rocks!

Clyde, Texas, USA
Clyde
Texas
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 7:23pm

I've done one rolling pin -maple.  I'm with the others on concern about using western red cedar.  Not only can it leave a taste in the pastry, it can absorb oils from the dough and possibly turn rancid.  I did a lot of research on rolling pin finishes before I made mine and the consensus seemed to be no finish.

Experience is what teaches us that we've made this mistake before ...

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 7:56pm

Hi Ray,

The family story is that my grandfather used to get chased by my grandmother with her rolling pin in hand.  I am sure he would have appreciated a softer wood.

I am in Western Red Cedar country and have turned some.  While not my favorite wood, it works OK but I find it a bit splintery. 

The Alaska Natives used WRC with food, and it is very popular on the west side of North America for planked salmon.  WRC is not near as resinous as the juniper species Eastern Red Cedar. 

Real Tung Oil is very slow drying.  Mineral Oil will never dry.

WRC end grain is coarse and will either fill with flour, or you will need to fill it with finish or with epoxy. 

Choices today are to rub it down with a coarse flour and let it go

Or

Use solvent to clean out as much oil as possible, give time for the solvent to vaporize, and add a film finish.   I have used West Marine marine epoxy on WRC.  That is the finish on stripper canoes.

My bias would be to rub it down with bran meal and put it to use.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 8:34am

Ken Vaughan wrote on Jul 27th, 2016 at 7:56pm:
The Alaska Natives used WRC with food, and it is very popular on the west side of North America for planked salmon

Yum, I do this all the time when I'm grilling fish or pork. I'm not sure I want that flavor in my apple pie.  Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #10 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 6:49pm

Always curious how much better fish tastes on a plank.  Next time you grill, can you hook a piece to your drone and rapid delivery to me (lol)?

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #11 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 6:56am

I'm not sure how much this little guy can lift?

IP Logged

Chris Neilan
WR Supporter

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Reply #12 - Jul 30th, 2016 at 7:28am

Ron Sardo wrote on Jul 29th, 2016 at 6:56am:
I'm not sure how much this little guy can lift?

Not to hijack this thread, but that photo reminds me of a party we had 30 years ago during yellow jacket season (bees!). The bees were out in numbers, and three of them landed on a tray of shrimp cocktail. We were stunned as they worked together and lifted a shrimp into the air and flew away with it like a Huey helicopter!

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print