WR Rocks!

Waynesboro, MS, Minnesota, USA
Waynesboro, MS
Minnesota
USA

Comet II
Barristers Bookcase
Jul 31st, 2016 at 1:22pm

Since I;m going off topic I might as well do it right.  Has anyone built or has plans and tips for building a stacked case.  I've been cutting lumber all summer out of smallish Cherry trees and need help  Thanks  Philip

Thanks Philip

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Barristers Bookcase
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 9:37am

In my experience, plans are easy to find. If you want the special door hardware, Rockler is about the only (non-specialty) source that seems to offer them.
Whether you use hardware or a more traditional method of a routed channel for your doors, test fit everything first. The same goes for the case carcasses themselves. Each case needs to be an independent box but easily fit over the one below it.
When building the boxes IMO there needs to be what some might consider overkill on the joinery. The reason is that the design of these cases, with the front being open and the back panel is often removable, the result is less strength with relation to racking and twisting.
My advice is that when you build you individual cases, build them like a tank. A heavy base with mechanical joinery (dado, sliding dovetail, etc) will help to insure rigidity, since there is no overall frame as in standard bookcases.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 12:25pm

Places to look: Fine Woodworking about 1992 years back had traditional design and Wood Mags. Most are made from oak.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Dwight Rutherford

WR Rocks!

Roseville, California, USA
Roseville
California
USA

Jet 1642
Rose Engine
Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 3:46pm

Years ago I built one from plans I got at the New Yankee Workshop. Should still be available.

IP Logged

william trench

WR Rocks!

South Salem, USA
South Salem
USA

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2016 at 5:29am

Just a note: That lumber you have been cutting all summer won't be ready to use for a year or two unless you have a kiln. For a case like this you want very stable material.

wood turned good
WWW kitchawanwood  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print