Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CA Finish issue (Read 977 times)

Kevin Campbell

WR Rocks!

CA Finish issue
Jul 31st, 2016 at 7:59pm

I have been turning for a few months, but only have a little free time. I've done about 15 pens, and about 25 rings. I do not love CA glue as a finish, but I have done ok with it. 2 out of the last 3 pens I have had the same problem. When sanding the finish, through the grits of micro mesh, I start getting black lines through the finish. I don't know if it's the glue, or the micro mesh. I've thought maybe my glue is old, although it's not very old at all. I wonder if the glue got hot during sanding, or if maybe the mm is breaking down. I got away from using activator, because I had a very nice pen that the finish shattered on. It looks like a broken windshield, all over the entire surface. I try to let each coat dry, then add another. After all coats are on, I let it turn to dry completely, before sanding. The latest pen never seemed to get beyond tacky. Any advice here would be appreciated. Thanks,

Kevin

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chris Neilan
WR Supporter

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Re: CA Finish issue
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 9:24pm

CA glue is far form foolproof. Once you get it, however, it's easy. What type glue are you using? The first few coats i use thin, then might switch to medium. I never use thick. I also avoid the accelerator. When sanding with micromesh, you use it wet, right? (You should)

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Kevin Campbell

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 9:27pm

I use Stick Fast thin. I don't usually use it wet. I never really have.

IP Logged

Chris Neilan
WR Supporter

OUCH!

Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 10:00pm

Stick fast is my brand as well. I have had good luck with it. I always wet sand with micromesh, wiping clean between grits. Wetting the micromesh helps lubricate the CA, sanding cooler. It also helps keep the mesh clean.
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2016 at 10:01pm by Chris Neilan »  

Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Kevin Campbell

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 11:10pm

I probably should do it that way in the future.

IP Logged

Steve Kniffen

WR Rocks!

Clyde, Texas, USA
Clyde
Texas
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 8:14am

I use Stickfast as well.  I usually do 4-6 coats of thin followed by 6-8 coats of medium.  I don't use accelerator, just let the lathe rotate at about 200 rpm til it's dry then add the next coat.  Thin dries quickly, medium takes a little longer. 

I tried wet sanding and went back to dry.  I don't see any difference.  If you're finishing wood, you need to make sure you seal the ends or water can seep into it as you wet sand and cloud or crack the finish.  Since I only put CA on wood, I went back to dry sanding.

Steve

Experience is what teaches us that we've made this mistake before ...

IP Logged

Warren White
WR Noob

Livermore, California, USA
Livermore
California
USA

Powermatic 2020
Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 9:34am

If I read your post correctly, your problem is a dark line on the finish. I have experienced the same thing occasionally, and it was the micro mesh. If your mm is worn, the backing gets to the item being sanded and it (for lack of a better description) "burns" the backing onto the surface. The fix is easy; new micro mesh, or just go back up one grit and sand the line out. Then watch that particular pad and don't let the ruined are get to the blank. Micro mesh is like any other sandpaper; it needs to be changed from time to time.

Everyone has their own views on CA; I use it all the time and love it. I use 2P-10 thin and medium, I wet sand with micro mesh, and always use aerosol accelerant, but just the shortest burst possible.

I hope this helps. Take it with a grain of salt; you can ask 10 turners about CA and get 11 different answers. Cheesy

IP Logged

Dave Gill
WR Champion

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 11:09am

Have you tried using BLO with the Super Glue?

With the lathe on a very slow speed - On a small pad of paper towel put a puddle of about 6 drops of BLO and move it back and forth on the pen blank. Then put a puddle of thin super glue on the paper towel pad where the BLO puddle was and rub that back and forth on the pen blank. Then turn up the lathe speed and continue to move the paper towel pad back and forth on the pen blank to create friction to dry the super glue. Stay out of the line of fire to avoid getting splashed by any excess super glue. One puddle of BLO and super glue is enough to do both sections of a 2 piece pen.

Slow the lathe speed back down and with a new paper towel pad, repeat the process. I usually do 8 to 10 coats this way and have gotten some great results. I guess the BLO acts as a lubricant for the super glue.

There are some You Tube videos on using this method. One of the videos talks about making the application pads out of Fiberfill/polyester batting that is used to stuff pillows, etc. These work pretty well but I think a folded up paper towel works just as well.

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world...and fool enough to think that's what I'll find!

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Kevin Campbell

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 5:03pm

I believe it is the micro mesh. Dave, thanks for the tip. A guy at my local Woodcraft does BLO and CA glue. I wasn't sure how to go about it. I'll check YouTube for the video.

IP Logged

Chris Neilan
WR Supporter

OUCH!

Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 7:03pm

Blo and CA is a good combo. It results in a less plastic look to my eyes.

Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Dave Gill
WR Champion

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Reply #10 - Aug 2nd, 2016 at 12:47pm

Kevin - you are welcome for the tip. Let us know how it works for you.

BTW - I have found that I do not need to sand or use Micro Mesh after the final coating of BLO/CA is applied - a good plastic or plexiglass cleaner and polishing product like Meguiar's PlastX works well to give it the final shine.

Also I do not use an accelerator between applications of the BLO/CA.

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world...and fool enough to think that's what I'll find!

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #11 - Aug 5th, 2016 at 7:53pm

Are you sanding the bushings?
I have brought black marks from the bushings onto light colored pens if I am not careful.

IP Logged

Kevin Campbell

WR Rocks!

Reply #12 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 2:59pm

I turned a pen, today, and tried the BLO + CA finish. I liked it quite a bit. It was much faster than CA only, sanding with micro mesh. It gives a more natural looking finish, too. Like someone said, not as plasticky looking. It does darken the grain a bit, though. I think i'm ok with that.

IP Logged

Dave Gill
WR Champion

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Reply #13 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 1:05pm

Kevin - glad you liked the resulting finish.

Might not have been mentioned before but a bit of the microcrystalline (Renaissance Wax) is a good top finish that helps to prevent finger prints and smudges. Apply the wax to the metal parts of the pen also. Hand buffing the wax with a soft cloth, such as a clean micro fiber cloth, is all that is necessary and can easily be touched up with that soft cloth before a show or sale. The microcrystalline wax is pricey but a little bit goes a long way.

Hint - DO NOT use fabric softener if you wash your micro fiber or other towels. It lessens the towels ability to absorb moisture and can leave a film on the object your are wiping.

Have fun and turn safe.

IP Logged

Sal McAuley
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Shop Fox W1704
Reply #14 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 9:22pm

I use CA glue on many items. I learned though over time that speed kills it. It heats up way to hot.

I use medium-thin as my first coat and use accelerator on the first coat. Then I apply two final coats of thin with no accelerator. I also used to get the black marks and realized it was turning too fast while micro sanding. I slow the lathe down to about 1,000 rpm when sanding CA and about 800 for applying wet. This accompanied with light pressure as I found that too much pressure while sanding also caused the black streaks.

« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2016 at 9:23pm by Sal McAuley »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print