Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What is too expensive? (Read 1,489 times)

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
What is too expensive?
Aug 11th, 2016 at 9:17am

I have been critical of what I see as UN-necessarily "overpriced" tools.
Woodworking can be an inexpensive hobby/craft to start but many times it quickly becomes very expensive. There are many ways to perform the same task with various levels of skills and equipment.
This bring me to the latest offender IMO.
Another offering  from woodpeckers One Time Tools collection, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Don't get me wrong, this looks like a nice tool but the price ($639) is a deal breaker in my book. Too expensive for the hobbyist and not really a professional tool IMO
I won't go into the long list of other things you could buy for the same price that would do the same job and still leave money left over (it's a long list), I just don't understand who these tools are aimed at.
I would consider this a niche tool that serves little purpose and when a simple doweling jig costs over $600, it has the side effect of increasing the price of other woodworking tools.

Now I own a very inexpensive doweling jig that works "reasonably well", I rarely use it. While I don't use dowels much these days, when I do, I find the easiest way to align the holes quickly and accurately is to use an inexpensive set of dowel centers Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Everyone has there own criteria of what is or isn't the right purchase for them, IMO this is a step too far.
rant over

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chris Neilan
WR Supporter

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Re: What is too expensive?
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 7:52pm

I totally agree. I also bought that same set of dowel centers (in 1976!) and they worked great. I say "worked great" because only the Lord knows where they might be!  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2016 at 7:53pm by Chris Neilan »  

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 8:09pm

any time i see "woodpecker" and "one time tool" together in the same sentence, all i really see is $$$ going bye bye to never be seen again.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 9:24pm

If it were priced properly IMO, like about 1/3 the current price, it would probably go UN-noticed.
Most of these "one time tools" appear to be decent tools but to say they're asking a premium price for them would be an understatement.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 9:32pm

Bridge City Toolworks has the really high end of yuppydom tool costs.

Makes some of the others look low cost.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 9:45pm

Ken Vaughan wrote on Aug 11th, 2016 at 9:32pm:
yuppydom
   Smiley
I don't know Ken, there dowel drilling jig is only about $450  Roll Eyes
They might be getting some competition.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #6 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 11:26pm

Ed, you only looked at the basic stripped down core beginning unit imperial or metric.    There are lots of "accessories" that are lacking on the basic unit.  Enough to double or triple the basic price. 

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 9:09am

Ahh yes, the always important (AKA expensive0 accessories not included, how could I have missed them.  Roll Eyes

It's hard for me to explain why I find tools "like these" to be somehow less of a tool and more of a gadget.
I have many tools from many different professions, some are expensive and some aren't. I never really considered myself a "tool guy" because I just bought what I needed, over the years it has added up to a pretty good collection. I have very few "gadgets" and was never compelled to buy every new thing that came out.
IMO
Tools like the above doweling jig are a cross between being to complicated and too fiddly.
When changing from one task to another, (you should probably have the instruction handy) you typically hear or read something like,
All you need to do is change this, remove that, adjust this, attach this, set that, align this and you're ready to go, it's that simple.  Huh Roll Eyes
A craftsman with minimal skill could probably mark and drill in a fraction of the time.

It's really an age old discussion about knowing how to perform a task with few if any aides or purchasing a tool that will perform the same task for you, so there's no need to know.
While I have nothing against innovation or tools helping me to perform certain tasks more efficiently, there is a point where, if you know how to perform the task at hand, you can easily see why certain tools simply won't help in any measurable way, like time or money.
(This may come from working with tools professionally, where you can't afford to buy or use inferior tools, regardless of profession.)

If you have disposable income and lots of time on your hands there are plenty of opportunities for you in the tool/gadget arena.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #8 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 12:32pm

Ed Weber wrote on Aug 11th, 2016 at 9:17am:
Now I own a very inexpensive doweling jig that works "reasonably well", I rarely use it.

Since I enjoy making my own tools, my doweling jig is cheaper than yours

First I find the center of a board using a tool like this, the one I made is from wood that I drilled with three evenly spaced holes which I inserted with two nails and a pencil in the center. I use it to draw a centered a line down the side of a board where I want the dowel(s)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Then I use a spring loaded center punch to make a dimple on the line I just drew. Next I place a glass bead in the dimple (my daughters would make jewelry when they where children and lent me a bunch of beads). Sometimes I would use some tape or hot glue to hold the bead in place, sometimes spit would even work when no one was looking.

I placed the dimpled board on a flat level surface then placed the second next to it. Check the alignment and clamped the two together. The bead would transfer a dimple to the second board in perfect alignment.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #9 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 1:59pm

I use these.  I think a set is $5.50.   Huh  Not sure what I would do with the remaining $633.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #10 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 3:12pm

i got the Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register when it was only $49 9 years ago. it is still in the original unopened box. Wink

depending on the project, i either pocket screw, biscuit, or tongue and groove the joint.
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2016 at 3:13pm by David Hamann »  

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #11 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 3:55pm

Ron Sardo wrote on Aug 12th, 2016 at 12:32pm:
Since I enjoy making my own tools, my doweling jig is cheaper than yours

You got me there.  Grin

Regarding the One Time Tool,
The funniest thing I thought was the design video. Every tool goes through a certain amount of development but it's not usually shown to the end (retail) customer.
It's as if they're saying, "are you wondering why this thing costs do much?, well here's why. We tried dozens of prototypes until we finally got there, if we came up with the solution quicker you probably wouldn't have to pay as much".
The video actually has sections called,
Experimentation and making scrap
Hitting the wall and finding a simple solution
JMO

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #12 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 7:18pm

i understand the need for R&D and the associated cost, BUT, this tool already existed, was cheaper, and worked. they did little if any new innovation. just trying to rack in the $$ from the gullible.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #13 - Aug 13th, 2016 at 7:25pm

check it out: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

and ONLY $106.62 with free shipping!

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - Aug 13th, 2016 at 9:13pm

IMO
The one major fault I see with most all of the "One Time Tools" is that they seem to forget that wood is a natural product and it moves.
Many of their tools seem to be somewhere between overkill for wood and not quite up to par for metal (machinist).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print