Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
start up internet business help (Ron) :) (Read 1,974 times)

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

start up internet business help (Ron) :)
Aug 12th, 2016 at 9:23am

I have had a bunch of people asking for my business card so they can see the stuff I have done & also to buy some pens. My question is I know Ron you have yours with your page simply turning my wife thought of a good name for mine
"One good turn"

next question should I go talk to our CPA about this first or can anyone please give me some tips on how they started theirs. & what was involved in the process. what type of license should I get & other questions I should ask but don't know what to ask ?? also how do I get a internet web page set up for this who do you others use?? what features should I need on the page etc...

so any info I can get to what I want to accomplish  I really appreciate.

Ron,
soon I'm  going to have you make me a box of business cards. once I have the web page set up.

Steve Nix,
can you please send me your mailing address I have something for you & a apology for taking so long

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Jay Pugsley
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Muncie, Indiana, USA
Muncie
Indiana
USA

Re: start up internet business help (Ron) :)
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 4:42am

I am using Velusion.  They have many features that I like.  They are geared torwards online stores.  They offer credit card collections without you having to pay a merchant fee, for less than 3% of each transaction.  They make shopping carts easy to incorporate into your store, and have tons of options for shipping, etc.

I too am just now setting up my store.  I am working on an order system, parts inventory, and basic accounting.  Also. Working on building my finished product inventory so I can have a complete offering when I open my store.  Good luck.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 6:05pm

Jay,
Thanks for the info. how are you setting up your page I mean what place like "go daddy or some other ?? I do want to own the rights to the name. I heard horror storied about people having to pay thousands of dollars to keep their domain name cause they didn't own it the server people did ??

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Jay Pugsley
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Muncie, Indiana, USA
Muncie
Indiana
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:33pm

I bought my domain name through Velousion.  I'm using their templates to build my store.  I know that you can get boxed in with using a vendor, but I have to start somewhere, and this company seemed like a good fit to start with.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 8:20pm

Chuck

I have been thinking about it also and there are a lot of Youtube videos out there that hit that subject including the legal part.  I must have watched between 50 to 75 on building an internet store or Etsy store and Etsy people also hit a lot of what a net store has to do also.

Go daddy is one of the worst and not even rated in the top 75 of web host sites

Here is a link that shows you some of the top 10 trusted sites along with key words or phrases to get more hits on your site

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

ord&cmp=US_SRCH_Keyword_Search_EN&label=KeywordResearch&gclid=1649KO4l88CFQFsfgo
d_v0CEA

Volusion is pretty pricy compared to the others on the top 10 I gave you
Hope this helps in some way

Arlin
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2016 at 8:29pm by Arlin Eastman »  

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 8:30pm

Arlin Eastman wrote on Sep 26th, 2016 at 8:20pm:
Chuck

I have been thinking about it also and there are a lot of Youtube videos out there that hit that subject including the legal part.  I must have watched between 50 to 75 on building an internet store or Etsy store and Etsy people also hit a lot of what a net store has to do also.

Go daddy is one of the worst and not even rated in the top 75 of web host sites

Here is a link that shows you some of the top 10 trusted sites along with key words or phrases to get more hits on your site

rd&cmp=US_SRCH_Keyword_Search_EN&label=KeywordRsearch&gclid=1649KO4l88CFQFsfgod_
v0CEA

Volusion is pretty pricy compared to the others on the top 10 I gave you
Hope this helps in some way

Arlin

IP Logged

James Loney
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Oct 30th, 2016 at 11:59am

Hi Guys,

I'm a digital marketer actually. And I could give you some insight here. Has anyone thought about coupling their marketing efforts with social media?

Social media works great for products like this because they are really beautiful and handmade (Social Networks eat this up)

As for web pages here is the process step by step.

1) Buy your domain name and hosting package (I suggest Hostgator.com)- so long as your domain name is the exact same as your business name you will never face any proprietary issues in digital marketing because owning the domain name is the same as registering your business. BUT I suggest searching within your own state or province for a business named the same who does what you do - very rare.
2) One you buy your domain name you have to log into your hosting services "Control Panel" (You can watch youtube videos how to do this).
3) Install Word Press on your Domain (Again Youtube will show you step by step how to do this)
4) Buy a WordPress theme that suits your design ideas (I suggest going to ThemeForest.com they can cost as little as $50.00
5) Install that theme through your hosting services Controle Panel (Youtube has How to videos)
6) Edit your theme's content. Usually, themes come with about 5 pages of content: Hope - About - Services/Products-Contact Us - Gallery. Depending on the theme you choose you can have more or less.
7) when it comes to creating an online merchant you have a thousand options but right now I suggest checking out shopify.com. Shopify is designed to create online merchant options that are easy to use.
8) Set up your social Media! If your business is B2C your best platforms are Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter It's free to create your profiles.
9) Create a strategy! Strategy for social media will look a little different on each platform, but the end goal will be the same. there are 5 steps in a good social strategy
-Listen
-Build Community
-Broadcast (A good solid posting schedule_
-Quality Content (Pictures of your work)
-Convert (Can you say - CHACHING!?)
10) prepare to spend as much time in the office as you do in the shop Smiley

good luck!

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #7 - Oct 30th, 2016 at 8:09pm

Good list James.  It might first be worthwhile to look at prices being asked on the various Internet sites, and decide if you will be able to match those prices and be happy.  Too often Internet sites seem to have a contest to see who offer the lowest price on similar items regardless of quality and originality.  Agreed, it might be a hobby for you, but if the competition is fierce would you be happy getting just a few dollars an hour for your efforts?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2016 at 9:57pm

Chuck

How is it going?  I sure would like to know what you are finding out.  I did download several YouTube's on doing a web site and I can send you the links when I find them or if anyone else would like to see them I will post them here.

IP Logged

Frank Wilda

Safety always!

HADLEY, Massachusetts, USA
HADLEY
Massachusetts
USA

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 3:34pm

I know it's been a few months since anyone has added anything to this thread but here's a few things to consider:

1) Buy your domain name and email addresses through Google Domains, if you keep it simple the cost for everything is $12/year per domain name.

2) Consider Google Sites (the new version) for building your web front end.  It's easy to setup and free.

3) Squareup.com has inexpensive, easy to use credit card processing, a complete cash register app and web interface for all sales including cash and checks and they have an easy to setup and use web store interface.

I'm sure there are plenty of options out there but this how I got started on the cheap and I thing our site looks OK for a start.  If you want to see how our site looks you can visit Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, no purchase necessary.

"We find in life exactly what we put into it." -Emerson
IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 10:36am

One Good Turn is in use already!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print