Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
HELP RESAW ON BANDSAW (Read 2,093 times)

Philip Haynes
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Waynesboro, MS, Minnesota, USA
Waynesboro, MS
Minnesota
USA

Comet II
HELP RESAW ON BANDSAW
Aug 19th, 2016 at 8:06pm

I hope this is the right place to ask a question without getting it cut.
Does anybody have a idea to use only the sled to resaw without a fence.  No matter what I try the fence gets the wood in a bind?  Thanks  Philip

Thanks Philip

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: HELP RESAW ON BANDSAW
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 8:19pm

Philip Haynes wrote on Aug 19th, 2016 at 8:06pm:
Does anybody have a idea to use only the sled to resaw

What are you trying to cut? Type of wood and size would be helpful as well as bandsaw info. I use a sled on my bandsaw often so hopefully I can help.

IP Logged

Philip Haynes
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Waynesboro, MS, Minnesota, USA
Waynesboro, MS
Minnesota
USA

Comet II
Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 8:49pm

I'm cutting popular, sweetgum and alot of cherry.  I;m using a 30 year old 14" Rockwell bandsaw.  It cut great using a sled I made but it takes to much time and a lot of for error measuring one at a time.

Thanks Philip

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 9:01pm

Philip Haynes wrote on Aug 19th, 2016 at 8:49pm:
but it takes to much time and a lot of for error measuring one at a time.

Can you make a temporary stop block on the sled so you don't have to measure each time.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 11:02pm

Resawing can be done 2 ways, rough for turning stock, which most of us use. Then you can resaw fine veneers that are 1/16 thick and need almost no sanding, which is just short of rocket science... So, first is to make sure your saw is set up straight and square. If you are going to use a fence, then you need to make sure the fence is dead true to the blade. This can be the difficult part since most blades are not very wide and it is difficult to measure it out perfectly. One of the bandsaw set up books tells how to get this close. Another method is a high fence with a round post for the vertical part, and it is lined up with the teeth of the blade and you correct as you go. Most of the time for me, I use a pencil line and cut to that. Chalk line works well also. Of course to get boards/cuts with parallel sides, the bottom surface needs to be dead flat, and the sides parallel to the blade. I have seen some fence set ups that are commercially made, but most of the time I do not need that kind of accuracy.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2016 at 7:55am

I use a fence/block like this

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Then I cut following a line that I drew and with a little practice it isn't hard.

robo_hippy wrote on Aug 19th, 2016 at 11:02pm:
first is to make sure your saw is set up straight and square.

+1

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2016 at 9:32am

Resawing can be done 2 ways, rough for turning stock, which most of us use. Then you can resaw fine veneers that are 1/16 thick and need almost no sanding,

While I don't necessarily "disagree", these are only 2 types of re-sawing which are the extremes. Re-sawing can be done in many methods depending on what outcome your looking for. 
Another method is a high fence with a round post for the vertical part, and it is lined up with the teeth of the blade and you correct as you go.

If you don't have your saw aligned properly(whatever method you use) it will be almost impossible to ge a parallel cut. The method Reed described and the photo Ron showed are good ways of re-sawing without having to rely on fence and/or blade alignment.

What size are the pieces being cut? How high, how thick and how long

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #7 - Aug 20th, 2016 at 10:52am

On really hard hardwood I use a table saw with an very thin kerf blade (thin circular saw blade) to cut a groove on both sides of the board. I only go into the wood about an 1/2"-1" or so. Then I go to the bandsaw, without any fence, and cut into the kerf splitting the wood in two.

The thin kerf act somewhat like bandsaw guides, and yes, you will still need to guide the wood through to stay in the kerf.

Squareness really matters, and try not to rush the cut. Pushing to hard will knock everything out of wack, so take your time.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2016 at 11:19am

I haven't seen it posted previously but what kind of blade are you using and HP of your saw and the over-all width of the wood you're trying to re-saw?

You did reference in your initial post that you've done it successfully in the past but are looking for a quicker way to get through the process.  I've done some re-sawing in the past and on those occasions where it's been the most successful my saw had to be tuned quite closely and executed with care.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
william trench

WR Rocks!

South Salem, USA
South Salem
USA

Reply #9 - Aug 21st, 2016 at 5:51am

The problem with resawing with a fence is that small bandsaw blades rarely track perfectly straight. A slight difference in the set of the teeth on either side or the slightest difference in sharpness will cause the blade to cut to one side and  the wood can either jam against the fence or walk away from it. The single point block as Ron showed , set right at the front edge of the teeth, will let you adjust the angle for a straight cut. If the problem is severe or you get cupping in your cut you need a new blade.

wood turned good
WWW kitchawanwood  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #10 - Aug 21st, 2016 at 8:17am

william trench wrote on Aug 21st, 2016 at 5:51am:
A slight difference in the set of the teeth on either side or the slightest difference in sharpness will cause the blade to cut to one side and  the wood can either jam against the fence or walk away from it.

+1

IP Logged

Steve nix

WR Rocks!

Iota, Louisiana, USA
Iota
Louisiana
USA

1642 Jet, RobustAB
Reply #11 - Aug 21st, 2016 at 8:22am

There a free bandsaw tutorial on Crafsty you may want to look up.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - Aug 21st, 2016 at 9:51am

I think we've entered the two schools of thought here.

william trench wrote on Aug 21st, 2016 at 5:51am:
The problem with resawing with a fence is that small bandsaw blades rarely track perfectly straight. A slight difference in the set of the teeth on either side or the slightest difference in sharpness will cause the blade to cut to one side and  the wood can either jam against the fence or walk away from it.

This is easily corrected by the tracking adjustment.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #13 - Aug 21st, 2016 at 7:51pm

The two methods - post and fence - have been presented already.  The one comment I remember about a fence is that it should not extend very far beyond the back of the blade because the thin piece being cut off might want to warp to the side due to internal stress in the chuck of wood.  Hope this makes sense.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - Aug 21st, 2016 at 10:22pm

Don Stephan wrote on Aug 21st, 2016 at 7:51pm:
The one comment I remember about a fence is that it should not extend very far beyond the back of the blade because the thin piece being cut off might want to warp to the side due to internal stress in the chuck of wood.  Hope this makes sense.

IMO
Not really much of an issue with the bandsaw, as the back of the blade is still moving in a downward direction. Where as a Table saw the rear of the blade is moving upward and can throw the wood once it's been pinched.
Take care when using any tool.
Tools don't have brains, you need to use your own.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #15 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 7:59am

If a long fence is say to the left of the bandsaw blade, and the left side cut section beyond the blade wants to flex or bend to the left, it pushes against the long fence and tries to move the uncut section of the wood into the blade.  If the fence ends at about the back edge of the blade there is nothing for the flexing wood to push against. 

I've seen this "flexing" often cutting unstable wood on the tablesaw.  I do very little resawing on the bandsaw so I can't say I've experienced what the author was describing, but it sounds plausible.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #16 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 8:53am

Don Stephan wrote on Aug 22nd, 2016 at 7:59am:
If a long fence is say to the left of the bandsaw blade, and the left side cut section beyond the blade wants to flex or bend to the left, it pushes against the long fence and tries to move the uncut section of the wood into the blade.  If the fence ends at about the back edge of the blade there is nothing for the flexing wood to push against.

Don, I agree with your assessment but that's a different problem and again, two schools of thought.
On Tablesaws,
Many European saws used to have fences that terminate just beyond the blade. While this helps to reduce the binding issue, it also has limitations.
Moat American saw have long fences, beyond the standard 27" table top. While these fences can provide a straighter cut if used properly, due to the longer reference area, there is still the potential to bind. This is one reason why the riving knife was adopted.

While the wood closing up beyond the cut can happen on a bandsaw, it is less likely to bind the blade due to it's small width and lack of teeth on the area that might bind. This makes it less likely to be a safety hazard as I mentioned above.
While I have had the situation happen as you described, (pushing away form the fence into the blade) this is typically isolated to a particular piece of wood, maybe 1 in 100, not something that would make me change my re-saw setup.
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2016 at 8:55am by Ed Weber »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print