Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wood Score at a Price... (Read 764 times)

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Wood Score at a Price...
Aug 26th, 2016 at 11:26pm

Interesting day...my wife recently purchased a couple of wood blanks for me from a local mill she found.  Decided to swing by the place on my way home to look for myself and was like a kid in a candy store.  Tremendous amounts of local trees at prices that had me asking the owner over and over if I couldn't give him more money?  Simply felt like I was taking advantage of the old gentleman.

Made it home and later this evening began rummaging through my finds and decided to work on a nice piece of spalted maple.  Was nearing completion of shaping the piece on my bandsaw when black goo began oozing out of the kerf like a gusher.  I could only assume it was a pocket of pitch but within seconds my blade was destroyed (completely coated in tar), the bull wheel rubbers were destroyed, and all my drive bearings covered in tar pitch.

In the end, was it worth it?  I believe so...the wood was still nearly free and I was probably due a blade change soon anyways.  That said...I have several hours of cleaning to look forward to.

Fellow turners...what do you use to remove pitch tar?

thanks...John

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Re: Wood Score at a Price...
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 5:33am

Mineral spirits is a good place to start. 

Gojo cleans the hands, arms, etc

Might it have been a petroleum product used to cover an injury and subsequently overgrown?   Maple and black pitch seems a missmatch.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 7:10am

I know Ken...and perhaps you're right.  Seemed inconsistent with me as well.  Either way, I don't believe there's any permanent damage done besides the ruined blade and wheel rubbers.

Thanks for the suggestion...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 10:40am

Have cleaned lots of connifer pitch and mineral spirits and its cousins (kerosene, stoddard solvent, JP fuel, erc) work well. 

You may be able to recover the bandsaw blade as a "rock blade"  if the weld is solid and there are no kinks.  Touch up the teeth with a dremel and use on rootballs.

Ken

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 12:03pm

John Grace wrote on Aug 26th, 2016 at 11:26pm:
Fellow turners...what do you use to remove pitch tar?

I use a pitch remover Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
I know others use household products such as simple green or oven cleaner but I wouldn't advise that. I prefer to use a product that is designed for the application and won't damage your blades.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 9:47pm

Ed, I didn't see your post until after my return from Home Depot but thanks for the suggestion.  I'll be giving that a try if the pure Turpentine and/or Goof-Off don't work.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 6:33pm

OK...just experienced one of the great truisms of life.  Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.  Sat down with my dismantled Carter guides tonight and was ready to begin cleaning the tar/pitch (or whatever this crap is that oozed out of this tree only to ruin my blade and cover everything else).  Low and behold...whatever this stuff is, and obviously not tar, simply peeled off in big large chunks like one would expect rubber to behave and there is nothing, absolutely nothing sticking to my guides or anything else I've tried to peel off.  Fortunately...the guides being off gives me an opportunity to give them a good cleaning for good measure but it does appear that it was simply a close scare and nothing else.

The absolutely best part?  The log yard called me on the way home and asked if I'd be interested in some large chunks of hickory they just acquired.  10"x10"x5" blanks for $10 each??? Uh...YEAH.  I don't mind prepping my own these days but for that price...sure I'll let them do that work and I'll seal them right afterwards.

IP Logged

Chris Gunsolley

Bowl Turner

Appleton, Wisconsin, USA
Appleton
Wisconsin
USA

Powermatic 3520B
Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:16am

Sounds like you've got a great, mutually beneficial relationship going on there, John. I think you should gift them a bowl for their front desk. You'll certainly be on their mind after that Wink

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 11:17am

Chris...OH yes, I explained to the elderly gentleman running the place the kind of things I worked on and he asked me if it would be any 'trouble' to make a couple of things he'd like to gift to the wife.  Already told him he's first on the list.  When someone gives me free or heavily discounted wood...they ALWAYS get the first completed items in any manner they'd like.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print