WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Works in progress
Aug 29th, 2016 at 8:49pm

I've been taking an art class and when possible try to apply the lesson of the week to some turning.

Two weeks ago the instructor has us draw a leaf, and I chose a grape leaf. The exercise was to draw the shape of the leaf, and the veins within it, while studying it closely. I'm not sure it was what the instructor intended, but I thought it could be applied to a hollow form.

I am going to try to add some color to this - I have ordered some frisket and will be trying out my neophyte airbrush skills on it.

Last week we studied and drew negative space. At the beginning of the class the instructor showed us  some southwest native American pots as examples, so I applied a shape around the perimeter of a vessel, and textured and blackened the 'negative' portion of the vessel.  If I had it to do over again, I would change some things about the shape.  I do really like the texture, which is a technique that Molly Winton teaches.

I have been able to clean up some of the smoke smudges off the negative shape vessel. Other than spraying some sort of a sealer onto it, this one is pretty much completed.

Comments are welcome.
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2016 at 8:50pm by Tony Rozendaal »  

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Re: Works in progress
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 4:55pm

Thanks for sharing the "in-progress" photos.  I think we should do more of these photos in the group. Thumbs Up

... even if things don't turn out in the end....
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2016 at 4:55pm by Tom Coghill »  

IP Logged

Gary Bricker

WR Rocks!

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Santa Rosa
California
USA

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 9:59pm

Tony, these are both looking good. Look forward to seeing the finished product. I do a lot of burning as well.  I have found that if you seal with shellac to keep the smoke from passing through the grain and tape off your edges you wont have to deal with as much clean up. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 10:19pm

Here is some color added to the hollow form.  I don't know if I will do much more to it or not.

Gary Bricker, thanks for the tip on the smoke prevention.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Dave Gill
WR Champion

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 12:20pm

Gary - do you apply the shellac to the area to be burned before burning?

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world...and fool enough to think that's what I'll find!

IP Logged

Rob Grindler

kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 12:11pm

Just wondering if this is representative of a leaf.How would it look if the top whitish part where brown instead to depict the end of the leaf ,which is usually brown,where it attaches to the branch.Just a thought.

IP Logged

Rob Grindler

kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 12:16pm

Now it's got me thinking.If you look at the peace as if the bottom of it is the end of the leaf that attaches to the branch ,then the upper whitish part could then be blue or shades of blue and white to depict the sky behind the leaf.

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 12:51pm

Good job Tony,
Can't wait to see where all this takes you now. I like them.
To prevent the flash areas when burning using high temp tips like Molly uses I use blue painters tape and mask the border and it works great (no flash burns to try and sand off without dulling the burnt areas) Thumbs Up

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Gary Bricker

WR Rocks!

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Santa Rosa
California
USA

Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2016 at 8:01pm

Dave Gill wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 12:20pm:
Gary - do you apply the shellac to the area to be burned before burning?

Dave, no I do not do the area I am burning, on a hollow form I seal up to the edge of my burn area and then carefully tape it off. I find it helps to eliminate the smoke stain. If I am working on a Bowl I make sure to seal the entire inside otherwise the smoke comes through the grain. I learned this the hard way!  After attempting to sand and bleach the stains out I ended up dying the entire bowl black.

IP Logged

Dave Gill
WR Champion

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Reply #9 - Sep 8th, 2016 at 11:24am

Gary - Thanks for the info. I have played with burning a little but have not done it on any turned objects.

Look forward to seeing more of your items.

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world...and fool enough to think that's what I'll find!

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2016 at 9:50pm

Here is an update on the one piece above - It is almost done - perhaps another vein or two traced with red, and then an spray with a satin(?) sealer.

Turnin' and learnin'

WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #11 - Oct 22nd, 2016 at 9:54pm

Here are a couple other pieces with embellishment.

The Leaf Vase is another art class related piece, trying to work out colors, values and shading. Not real pleased with it but is definitely a learning piece.

And, the Ash Jar is something I have been wanting to do some time - I colored it black with India Ink and then use a product called Run N Buff in "Spanish Copper" to enhance it.  It was quick, easy, and fun.  The only thing is, the India Ink made the lid fit really tight - I'm hoping that after it dries for a few days it will loosen up again.

Turnin' and learnin'

WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print