Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Lichtenberg Electric Etching (Read 4,513 times)

Rob Grindler

kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Re: Lichtenberg Electric Etching
Reply #15 - Sep 15th, 2016 at 4:56pm

One thing I have notice is my plates above are made from 4 boards glued together and the burn seemed to want to follow the joint line.Maybe it is possible to control the direction that way ,by making lines in the wood.Next time I'm set up I'll experiment with that.

IP Logged

Don French

WR Rocks!

stanhope, New Jersey, USA
stanhope
New Jersey
USA

Reply #16 - Sep 15th, 2016 at 6:26pm

I found that I get better burns on green wood than dry wood. Did get it to follow a pencil line some what . I also use soda mix was thinking of trying a Epson salt mix on next one.

IP Logged

Rob Grindler

kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #17 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 11:46am

My latest attempts.

IP Logged

Don French

WR Rocks!

stanhope
New Jersey
USA

Reply #18 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 3:13pm

I like that .Did you dye it before or after etching .

IP Logged

Rob Grindler

kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #19 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 3:35pm

Don French wrote on Sep 21st, 2016 at 3:13pm:
I like that .Did you dye it before or after etching .

I dyed it after etching,not sure how the backing soda and water would effect the dye if done before.Guess we need to try that next. Wink

IP Logged

Don French

WR Rocks!

stanhope
New Jersey
USA

Reply #20 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 4:49pm

I have dyed one before etching made it very dark .have you found that burning darkens the wood turning it gray somewhat don't know if its the burning or soda turning it

IP Logged

Rob Grindler

kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #21 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 6:01pm

Don French wrote on Sep 21st, 2016 at 4:49pm:
I have dyed one before etching made it very dark .have you found that burning darkens the wood turning it gray somewhat don't know if its the burning or soda turning it

I do find the backing soda stains it, colours the lighter wood, darker.Also after I burn I have been scrubbing the area with a tooth brush,then sanding over it all to bring out the etching more,so dying beforehand would be sanded off if it doesn't dye deep.
Still all new to me and learning as I go with experimenting different things.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #22 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 6:36pm

I have not made the setup myself yet.  I may have to do this when my lovely bride is not watching  Wink  Smiley  Smiley

I would really like to get some photos from the transformer name plates to be sure I get one with enough "go" but not too much!  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Champion

Wood is one of God's hidden /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #23 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 8:33pm

I've been reading this with great interest and like Tom C. am very interested in Lichtenberg Electric Etching machines.  I too want to make sure I get the correct power source to do the etching.  Tom, my problem is that I can hide it from Valerie as she is spending more and more time in the shop working on the other lathe Shocked Shocked Shocked

Tom B. I really like your insulated holding rods.  It looks like it does provide a significant amount of safety.  I have noticed in some of the Youtube videos that some of the people using the device have on heavy insulated gloves.  Do you also use the gloves?

IP Logged

Tom Brouillette

WR Rocks!

Memphis, USA
Memphis
USA

Reply #24 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 6:51am

I don't use gloves. Having the leads come into the tops of the PVC pipes keeps me safely away from the action. To chime in on the baking soda induced discoloration question - I see it a lot on some species, and not at all on others. This first bowl is river birch, and the darker areas got that way when I wetted them, before burning. The middle band and bottom of the bowl stayed dry. The second is cottonwood, which was pretty dark to begin with, was unaffected. So was the last one, which is osage orange. The OO was the toughest one to get to burn, because the water would not soak into the wood. The deep burn you see there is from a carbon track forming. Once this happens, I have not found a way to avoid the current running there. It is more conductive than any liquid I applied to try to direct it elsewhere. I am having a great time experimenting with this.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #25 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 10:12am

Tom,

I would like to collaborate on data. I have a number of interesting solutions that I am interested in trying.

I think my first stop must be to get parts for the "tool"... still don't know how to sneak then into the shop...

I can just hear myself shouting... "It's Alive!!" ... like from Young Frankenstein Grin

.... what hump? Wink

IP Logged

Tom Brouillette

WR Rocks!

Memphis, USA
Memphis
USA

Reply #26 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 10:41am

I must admit, explaining a high voltage transformer and spark plug wires to my wife was dicey.  We still laugh about her being my fire-watch the first time I tried it, with her finger on the 911 button.

#1 on my recommended parts list is the foot switch, because it makes everything else safer to deal with.

IP Logged

Rob Grindler

kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #27 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 12:09pm

Tom B. Do use a transformer from a microwave or from a neon sign?From what I have seen on line is that the neon transformer doesn't burn as deep as the microwave one, and the detail is finer.It looks like you'er burning is not as deep as mine have tended to be,and I like that better.Nice job on those bowls by the way.
A good video explains the differences:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

As for the foot switch,I prefer to just plug it in and out. For me ,then there is no mistaking weather or not it is connected,no mistaking what position a switch is in,is it off or on.Some people also use a red light to indicate if it is on or off.It's whatever works best for one to insure being safe.

IP Logged

Tom Brouillette

WR Rocks!

Memphis, USA
Memphis
USA

Reply #28 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 12:14pm

I bought a microwave oven transformer off eBay. I have no idea what it came off of, but it's a heavy one.

The footswitch helps me with the finer detail, too. When I see the burn getting too aggressive I take my foot off and move the probes.
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2016 at 12:15pm by Tom Brouillette »  

IP Logged

Don French

WR Rocks!

stanhope
New Jersey
USA

Reply #29 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 1:07pm

I tried saline solution but baking soda works better,

IP Logged