Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wood sources (Read 428 times)

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Wood sources
Sep 8th, 2016 at 7:06pm

I have heard many say something like "let them know and the wood will come" . This refers to the question "where can I get wood free or low cost".
I sure have found it true to some extent. My kids have located some nice wood and I have friends who have lake places who are telling me about various stockpiles.
One source I was wondering about is local sawmills. I visited one today who specialized in hardwoods. Most of what he does is buy and cut timber stands and then cuts the harvest into lumber, mulch, firewood, etc. I was able to get a number of logs off his rejected pile that were perfect size for bowls. However, I still had to pay.
I am located in SW Michigan where there seem to be a number of small sawmills. I plan on exploring them to see what is available.
What has been your experience in dealing with local, smaller sawmills?
I have also been in contact with a cabinet maker who was more than willing to part with some very nice hardwood "scraps". For me these are perfect for doing segmenting.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
John Grace
WR Supporter

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Re: Wood sources
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 10:48am

Contact your local tree service companies and ask where they take their trunk wood for disposal.  They'll either be able to provide you with wood themselves or put you in contact with those who can.

This path worked for me and others.  I have created a good relationship with several local sources, sometimes free...always cheap.  Give away a few pieces and you'll soon have more wood than you can turn.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 1:16pm

Some municipal service departments also remove trees.

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 1:25pm

When you get wood free or nearly free,  it is always a good idea to repay with a nice bowl, pen or whatever you make.

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 6:01pm

I have done that so far. It only makes common sense. I feel indebted when I get free wood and enjoy making pieces and letting them see what became of their "chunks of wood".it is nice to see the smile on their face when they receive it.
Thanks for the feedback.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print