Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Built my own V-Drum Sander (Read 300 times)

David Muehlbauer
WR Noob

Gilbert AZ, Arizona, USA
Gilbert AZ
Arizona
USA

Built my own V-Drum Sander
Oct 2nd, 2016 at 12:39pm

I recently completed my own V-Drum sander and thought I'd share this information with others. I built this to sand my segmented rings (especially thin rings that are hard to handle with a belt sander). You can find many plans and videos online, and you can order either a complete sander or a kit to make your own from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. I decided to procure all the components individually, but if I had it to do again, I would probably buy the kit. My total cost was about $360, with the motor (from Harbor Freight) being the most expensive component.

For my sander, I decided to build a steel angle frame inside the box. My drum is a 3" PVC pipe, 12" wide. Most of the other parts I found on Amazon. I can answer other questions if anyone is interested.

I've only used this once, but it works great. I realize it is not a true 'thickness' sander, but I didn't have the space for one (and they are too heavy to move around like I do my other power tools). I can store this one on a shelf, and move it onto my rolling cart when I need to use it.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rob Grindler

kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Re: Built my own V-Drum Sander
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2016 at 1:36pm

Looks great,good idea using PVC for the drum.I turned a cylinder for the one I made to run on my lathe,but it was about a 32nd out from one end to the other,so always had to run the ring through twice turned halfway .It kind of worked not to bad.I just ordered an open ended drum sander from King tools in Canada,for $999.95., a bit more than $350.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print