Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sanding Disks and Radius Interface Pads (Read 789 times)

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Sanding Disks and Radius Interface Pads
Oct 3rd, 2016 at 7:29pm

If the sanding disks are about 2 3/8" diameter, and the rounded or radius interface pads are much smaller diameter where the pad meets the sanding disk, has anyone else had the sanding disk fold over around the perimeter?  Wondering if 2" diameter sanding disks would work better with the radius pads.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Sanding Disks and Radius Interface Pads
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2016 at 7:51pm

Many sanding discs are designed oversized to do just as you described.
If the disc were the same size as the pad or interface pad, when you either tilt too far or touch something with the spinning edge it would tend to cut into the wood causing damage.

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Robust AB
Grizzly 12x20 Midi Lathe
Delta 10x16 Mini Lathe
Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2016 at 7:19am

If the disks you are using are 2-3/8 inch diameter it sounds like they are Vince's disks from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register . If so, I recommend you call him and talk to him directly about any questions you may have.  You will find he is very personable.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2016 at 7:18pm

Before posting here, I did exchange emails with the vendor.  I expected some explanation for the difference in sizes and discussion, more than most people don't have problems and I also sell 2" pads.  I don't want to keep an inventory of 2" pads and 2 3/8" pads, so if I have to switch to 2" for the radius pads I'll get 2" disks from Jon at our local woodturning group and stop using 2 3/8".

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 8:12am

Don, I use the 2 3/8" pads and if I need/want to have a disc the same size as the pad I use a 2 3/8" interface pad. It solves both problems of disc to the edge of the pad and double inventory.
Just a suggestion.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 9:51am

The radius firm pads from Vince are excellent for sanding the insides of bowls, and any concave surface. They work a lot better than the firm square edge pads. I have found that if I use a pad that is the exact same size as the disc, almost every time I will have 'mystery' scratches on the wood. I eventually figured out that these scratches came from the edge of the pad, and some times, especially when I was using thicker abrasive discs, the scratches would come from the disc as well. The idea of the over sized disc is to prevent this, and it does a good job. Since the disc is larger than the pad, when it goes over the edge, it has to flex, and that causes the creases. No problem with them other than on the coarse grit pads, some of the abrasive breaks off. If you have seen the wave discs that are scalloped on the edges, the cut outs pretty much match the creases.

I use 3 inch discs, well 3 3/8 from Vince, when ever I can fit it inside a bowl. It has over twice the surface area of a 2 3/8 inch disc, so more miles per disc, and less sanding time.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print