Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
This is about the Lichtenberg process (Read 841 times)

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
This is about the Lichtenberg process
Oct 11th, 2016 at 4:05pm

I just watched another 15 YouTube videos about how others are doing the process (One guy says Salt water works the best and does not leave the wood stained another color).

One guy made one out of a Neon Light transformer.  Now this is one I am highly interested in since it already has a cord and an on/off switch which helps greatly but he even had the dead man switch he used also.

So I went to eBay and bought a unit for $40 that was 12,000 volts and I forget the amps and other info.  So when I get it I will find an electrician friend and have him hook it up for me.

Has anyone else heard of the Neon Light ones made?  I seen it on two videos and both of them said how much safer it was then both the Microwave and the Florescent light one.

Also how about the Saltwater has anyone tried that and with how much saltwater used?  both guys used about the same of a table spoon to a cup of water.

Any and all positive or negative are welcome to impart knowledge.

It is always the right time; To do the right thing

IP Logged

Chris Neilan
WR Supporter

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Re: This is about the Lichtenberg process
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 4:22pm

I bought a neon transformer as well, but have not had time to work with it yet. I will be using spark plug wires for the leads. Regular wire, while it might be stout enough to handle the voltage, the insulation is not. Electricity will jump across it! You won't have time to say "ouch"!

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 4:56pm

Arlin Eastman wrote on Oct 11th, 2016 at 4:05pm:
(One guy says Salt water works the best and does not leave the wood stained another color).

IMO
Statements like this are meaningless, The term "salt water" is just vague at best, unless there are proportions or a recipe of some kind it's meaningless.

As for the transformer, I mentioned the differences in Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Generally "better" quality electronics, dictated by the application.

A microwave transformer doesn't need to be as precise, your food won't know the difference. As long as it puts out the juice and warms the food, job done.
A neon transformer on the other hand, needs a more regulated or have a smoother output. Since the results are visual, any spikes or uneven current will be seen. I think we've all seen flickering neon signs.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 6:53pm

I do not want to be "meaningless" Ed that is all the guy said was salt and not what kind but 1 tablespoon to 1 cup of water.

If you have a lot more info about what kind of salt or mixture I sure would like to know.

Also about the Transformer you are talking above my head about it and do not understand what you are saying or the intent of what you are saying.

Just what IS the difference between the three and the pros and cons?

Thanks

It is always the right time; To do the right thing

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 7:55pm

Arlin,
The only reason I say that is because it's too easy to pass on misleading or confusing information.
Everything in the formula makes a difference.
What kind of water?
What kind of salt?
I have well water, I know my water has different minerals in it than someone on a municipal water supply. See what I'm getting at.

The power supplies do the same job, I just think the neon transformer gives a better output current. Also it's a ready to go system for those who don't have the knowledge or desire to go the microwave route.

IP Logged

Dave Herbert
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Multico Junior
Reply #5 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 4:06pm

I've recently made a Lichtenberg rig using a neon transformer 3000v,40 milliamp output with vehicle high tension leads to the probes. the probes themselves I turned from nylon insulation (20mm dia) with stainless probe tips inserted. I also used a foot switch, normally open type so it switches off when you take your foot off. 3000v works fine giving nice fine figures so I cant see the need for the likes of 12000v transformers.
I wouldn't recommend the use of microwave transformers as the current rating (milliamps) is well up in the death region.
Place the probes on the workpiece before you switch on and switch off before the probes are taken off (hence the need for a footswitch) otherwise it resembles a Frankenstein experiment which can be a bit disconcerting to say the least.
This is my take on it and my job is repairing faults on underground mains cables (working live) so I am fairly comfortable around electricity but I still wear my insulated work gloves while using my rig !
If you are going to attempt this, please take no chances with it. Its not a toy, Get it wrong and it will bite you, it will only bite once because chances are you will be dead afterwards.
Stay Safe !!

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #6 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 12:50am

Arlin

I live about a mile from marine waters, and no way am I going to bring a sodium cloride solution anywhere close to cast iron or steel. The corrosion literature does a good job of documenting the ability of the cloride ions to get into pores of ferris metals and never cease to be a source of oxidation/corrosion.

I see salt water corrosion every day and do not want to foster it on my equipment.

Washing soda works pretty well for electrolsis to remove rust and at a cup per gallon is quite conductive.  Just that it misses most of the down sides of sodium chloride.

Do be exceedingly careful as neon transformers pack enough amperage to be life threatening. Buddy system has value.

« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2017 at 12:54am by Ken Vaughan »  

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #7 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 11:58am

I found high tension silicon lead wire rated at 30kv for my leads. It is soft and easily attaches to my probes. Note I do not hold a probe I made probe holders from plastic pipe and a short length of wood. When power is on I am nowhere near contacting any high voltage. JMNSHO.
SAFETY FIRST
Note with these systems even when power is shut off there can be some residual capacitance /potential trapped in the transformer windings. I wait a few extra seconds before I move a probe holder, I have seen discharge arcing with power off when moving a probe immediately after shutting power off. Again safety first!
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2017 at 12:27pm by Bert Delisle »  

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 4:13am

Thanks Burt and Ken