Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problems hollowing with bowl gouge (Read 706 times)

Pat White
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Problems hollowing with bowl gouge
Oct 11th, 2016 at 6:31pm

I have to admit this has kind of humbled me and shaken my confidence.  I got my Nova chuck in and decide to start practicing a bowl.  Well it was more of a cup that a bowl.  I took a 4" round of green maple and chucked it up and turned it down to around 3" diameter.  I then began working from the end at first just squaring it off.  That part went on.  As I started to coming into the wood with a bowl gouge I had a catch.  Startled me a bit but I kept trying.  Just could not get comfortable and ended up catching several times.  I just kind of gave up for now.  I think I need some instruction.  I've watched tons of videos and everyone makes it look simple.  I'm sure the fact I was turning end grained hurt me but is it that much more difficult?  I feel fairly confident turning wood down and making spindles.  But this was a whole different beast.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: Problems hollowing with bowl gouge
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 7:01pm

Pat

Look for a woodturning group near you.  May have beginning bowl turning classes, almost certainly will have mentors for just this situation. 

Rather than trying to hollow end grain, get a 2x6 or 2x8 poplar or whatever and start practicing.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 7:05pm

++ what Don suggests. It is hard to beat some one on one turning mentoring to help identify tool presentation to the wood.

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 10:45pm

I had the exact same problem. Could not figure out how toe present without getting a catch. No real problem on the outside but the inside gave me fits. The breakthrough for me came when a mentor showed me how to start the cut. He even suggest that to start you might use a parting tool for the first very short part. Then take the bowl gouge turned on its side with the bevel perpendicular to wood. This usually means your handle is way over the bed.
Once I started with this and practiced a lot I now have a feel for it. It was the start that got me there.
Once I start then I turn the BG to 45 degrees.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2016 at 10:47pm by Bruce Kamp »  

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2016 at 7:50am

Pat,
End grain hollowing which you are doing is a lot more difficult than side grain hollowing.

Without the proper presentation of the tool to the wood catches are common and can be scary.

As mentioned by others in this post, a hands class would be very helpful.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Mike Rocklin
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Arlington, Vermont, USA
Arlington
Vermont
USA

Turncrafter Commander
Nova Galaxi DVR
Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2016 at 8:12am

I had the same problem until I came across this video.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Haven't had a catch since

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2016 at 8:48am

Many times when turning end grain orientation as you described it's good to start with a pilot hole.
We never want to cut end grain, it's much easier and effective to cut the side of the wood fibers instead.
A pilot hole is drilled into the center and then using a series of pull cuts from the center pilot hole toward the vessel wall you begin hollowing.
Here is a video showing the "basic" method.

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2016 at 11:50am

Pat we all probably had the same problem the first time we used a bowl gouge unless we were blessed to have a teacher actually show us how. One thing I will tell you is that as long as your bowl gouge is firmly down on your tool rest it is very hard to even have a catch. It is when you accidentally lift up your bowl gouge off the tool rest as you twist the gouge slightly to get a 45 degree angle before cutting into your bowl blank. Thumbs Up

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Anthony Gomez

WR Rocks!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 12:05am

I have been turning for little over a year - my first bowl attempt was from a 8x8 piece of cherry 4 inches thick - it took me over a month to finish - the reason - I was trying to hollow out with a roughing gouge - lol I finally got some bowl gouges and and a woodriver chuck - I made progress - but it was a nerve racking experience - the reason - the bowl kept falling off with the smallest of catches - I didn't understand the concept of a mortise at an angle to match the dovetail profile of the jaws of the chuck - and that scroll chucks have a sweet spot of where they are near their smallest opening they are a perfect circle - two concepts of a scroll chuck that are important to follow - I also made some carbide tools which allowed me to hollow different difficult materials but I slowly learned that bowl gouges made from quality high speed steel - that are sharp are efficient in removing a lot of material provided that I am not too greedy - I quickly learned to combat vibration , and minor catches - my tool preferences leaned heavily in favor of longer handles to allow ease of handling of these stresses - strategic positioning of the tool rest were also important and last is that smaller gouges have less contact - if you have the luxury of choosing multiple sizes of gouges- ( my first bowl gouge from My inexpensive harbor freight set is worthless)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print