Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1st bowl…sticky material? (Read 1,146 times)

Howard Camardelle

WR Rocks!

Beautiful Willis, Texas, Texas, USA
Beautiful Willis, Texas
Texas
USA

Harbor Freight
1st bowl…sticky material?
Oct 17th, 2016 at 9:17am

As a noob to turning, and this forum,  I'd like to offer up for consideration a sticky thread that would allow us to show off our first project.  Just a consideration, and respectfully submitted to admin.

In any event, here's my first attempt at a bowl.  I glued up several pieces of 3/4" plywood together and let them dry overnight.  Thanks to whomever on this forum gave that idea.  I had a blast, even though I think it would have looked better if I turned it differently grain wise.  Finished it with Tung Oil but spray laquer would have given it a little more glossy finish.   This has been a great learning experience. for me.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Re: 1st bowl…sticky material?
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 1:31pm

Yes, it is a learning process.-- both the turning and the finishing.  Turning plywood is not easy and all the glue dulls tools quickly.  The form you used is not an easy one especially on the inside.  Work on the form on the next one, perhaps copy one of the ceramic bowls in the cupboard.  You are off to a good start.  Be sure to sign and date this one so you can look back and see your progress.

IP Logged

Howard Camardelle

WR Rocks!

Beautiful Willis, Texas
Texas
USA

Harbor Freight
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 9:01pm

I'll admit that I got a little less creative on the inside.  I wanted something I could toss my keys and change into so it's not that deep, and curved where you can grab money easily.  Its really functional. 

The bigger thing is that I had a blast doing it.  I picked up some real blanks last week in maple, cedar and I think oak.  Looking forward to digging into those next!

IP Logged

Glenn Roberts

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 9:17pm

As a noob to turning, and this forum,  I'd like to offer up for consideration a sticky thread that would allow us to show off our first project] You just did! Beats the heck out of my first bowl.  Smiley  At least you could post yours, and not draw laughter from the crowd here......
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2016 at 9:21pm by Glenn Roberts »  

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2016 at 7:52am

Simple square blanks from 2x6 lumber can be very useful practice turning pieces.  Spruce-pine-fir (spf) is inexpensive, soft and easy to cut, lacks the alternate hard and soft growth rings of yellow pine, and there's no pressure to avoid wasting good hardwood.

Make 6 bowls just to use the bowl gouge and get experience moving the tool and tool rest and gliding the bevel.  Make another three trying to make them identical, to have a turning goal.  Make another three each shaped differently than anything else you've made.

Then move on to some green wood - dried hardwood is much harder to cut.

IP Logged

Howard Camardelle

WR Rocks!

Beautiful Willis, Texas
Texas
USA

Harbor Freight
Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 7:17pm

Today was interesting.  I had seen a woodworker on YouTube take a piece of 2x10 lumber and make a blank out of it so I figured why not, right?

It gave me a chance to spend a good deal of time turning square stuff into round stuff on my Grizzly 9" bandsaw.  Mounted the first piece to the faceplate and turned a really nice looking "dish" thing.  It wasn't very deep and I went through at the middle where I'd made a tenon for my chuck to grab onto.  Flawed, but I was happy with the way it turned out.  After all, I'm just using this to learn.

The second piece I rounded off, and after making a tenon I attached it to the chuck.  There I was, scraping away when all of a sudden something shook me like lightning.  I wasn't sure what happened until I looked at my lathe and saw that my work piece was no longer on the face plate.

Evidently it had split in half and one side of it hit me in the face!

Now I've been riding motorcycles since I was 13 and you can count the number of times I've ridden without a helmet on one hand, and still be able to make an obscene gesture if you needed to.  I always wear a helmet, a riding jacket and gloves because you dress for the crash, not the ride.

Forotunately for me, yesterday, the good folks at UPS delivers my new Honeywell Bionic face shield.  And that sub $20 lid likely saved my multi-million dollar face and head.  OK, likely not a multi million dollar head, but its gotten me by thus far.  It may not be much, but it's all I've got.

I looked for the other half for a full 15 minutes.  It landed a solid 30 or more feet from where I was turing. 

Not being a quitter, I promptly put another piece of 2x10 "blank" on the lathe,  I noticed that it was developing a crack, right in the middle.  At that point I knew that this was not something I wanted to pursue any longer and tossed it into my ever widening "burn pile" of scrap wood.

It was a good learning experience for me.  I know I have to learn a lot more about securing the workpiiec to the lather in addition to learning how to turn.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 7:55pm

Glad it was just an unpleasant experience.  Cracks are an unfortunate possibility with any piece of turning stock.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 7:59pm

Howard Camardelle wrote on Oct 19th, 2016 at 7:17pm:
It was a good learning experience for me.  I know I have to learn a lot more about securing the workpiiec to the lather in addition to learning how to turn.

Thankfully you were not seriously injured. Face shields do work.
IMNSHO : More importantly inspecting the work piece for cracks prior to mounting is just as important. And staying out of the line of fire is an even more important practice that takes conscious effort. New turners hear old turners talk about it but unfortunately experience is the best teacher and for those events where one forgets the line of fire a face shield may reduce risk of serious injury.
Stay safe,  turn safely and remember to have fun. SPF is notorious for end grain cracking and can surprise you in spindle turning as well.

« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2016 at 5:08pm by Ron Sardo »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Robust AB
Grizzly 12x20 Midi Lathe
Delta 10x16 Mini Lathe
Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 10:18pm

Howard, I'm glad you're OK and still have a sense of humor.

Thanks for sharing - it's a good reminder for all of us.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #9 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 12:16pm

Why safety equipment is just as important to get as the machine!  Congrats on not getting hurt.

And welcome aboard!

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Pat White
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2016 at 4:03pm

I'll add mine.  Made from Cherry.  Had to make the bowl shallower than I wanted due to pith but I love the grain.  Finished with teak oil.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print