Turning Horn (Read 1,129 times)

Eric Armstrong

Brookville, PA, Pennsylvania, USA
Brookville, PA
Pennsylvania
USA

Turning Horn
Oct 23rd, 2016 at 9:34am

I recently presented a program to the Indiana County (PA) Woodturners Association. The topic was turning items from horn - a nice, traditional material that is easily made into interesting objects.  I prepared a guide (pdf), which I would be happy to share with anyone who is interested in learning the technique.  Just send me an e-mail address.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: Turning Horn
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2016 at 1:51pm

Hi Eric.

I can post your program in our TPT, if you are interested just email it to me.

Thanks

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Eric Armstrong

Brookville, PA
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2016 at 5:27pm

Will do.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 12:40pm

Eric

I do not understand what you meant by "Horn"?  Like Buffalo horn or Antler?

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Eric Armstrong

Brookville, PA
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 6:57pm

Cow horn.  It's been used since ancient times for all kinds of products such as combs, spoons, lantern "glass" and, commonly, gun powder horns. We still use terms today like "horn rim glasses" or "shoe horn".

Buffalo horn was/is used also but it's more difficult to work and, in my experience, smells pretty bad. Antler can also be turned but is a totally different material.

Ron said he'd post my tutorial in the TPT section in a couple of days. Hopefully it'll explain how this material can be used in more detail.

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #5 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 8:14pm

Eric, you have inspired me. Smiley I read the .pdf you emailed me two times. Then decided something different would be nice for a change and ordered six cheap medium horns to practice with.

The horns I ordered are semi polished. Are the ones you use polished when you receive them ? Why are they mostly sold polished ?

My first try at horn turning will be a lidded box.

IP Logged

Eric Armstrong

Brookville, PA
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2016 at 8:15am

I'm not sure what the total market is for horns, but I assume a lot of people buy them to make simple powder horns or for other decorative purposes. Raw, unpolished horn takes a lot of rasping and scraping to get down to a smooth surface (which could be an unpleasant surprise). The polished horns expose the surface so the horner has an idea beforehand what the finished item will look like.

When doing a lidded box size the base to the bottom of the horn section so that there's a nice but not overly tight fit. Traditionally, you will pin the two parts together and, if the horn is stressed, it will break when the hole is drilled for the pin. BTW, round toothpicks make great pins.  Also, don't make the lid fit too loose. The wood will shrink but the horn will not.

Also, there's a book called "Turning Boxes with Friction Fitted Lids", by Bill Bowers. (A Schiffer  Book for Wood Turners).  I believe I got my copy from Amazon a few years ago. It doesn't cover horn but does present variations of lidded boxes.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2016 at 11:29am

Hi everyone

I have Eric how-to up and running.

you can find it here:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Thanks Eric, Well Done.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print