Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Nova 1624 II (Read 3,498 times)

Kevin Campbell

WR Rocks!

Nova 1624 II
Nov 1st, 2016 at 9:23am

Hi Turners,

I currently have a Delta mini lathe. I'm looking at purchasing a Nova 1624 II. Does anybody have 1? Are there any negatives to that lathe? It seems like a lot of lathe for the money. Thanks,

Kevin

IP Logged

Steve Estabrooks
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Stuart, Florida, USA
Stuart
Florida
USA

Re: Nova 1624 II
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2016 at 11:58am

I have had this lathe for a number of years. I don't have any complaints been a solid worker for me. That said, I upgraded the motor with the variable speed motor kit sold by Teknatool and now I really love it. No more changing belts. The upgrade was easy, defiantly worth the investment.
Steve

IP Logged

Kevin Campbell

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2016 at 12:59pm

Thanks, Steve. I would plan on the upgrade down the road, also.

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2016 at 2:55pm

I've had my 1624 for about seven years and no problems.
Mine is, of course, the 1624 not the 1624 II. 
I don't think changing the paint from silver to black will increase/decrease the lathe performance.
Have to give my silver one  Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Kevin Campbell

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2016 at 8:41pm

Hey Mike, Ha, I didn't realize the paint was all they changed. I looked on Teknatool's site, and it said about the same thing. I met the owner of Nova lathes about a month ago, at a local Rockler. Nice guy, and they do have some innovative ideas.

IP Logged

Bill Moschler

WR Rocks!

Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Knoxville
Tennessee
USA

Nova
Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 9:08am

I have had a Nova 16/24 for about 6 years.  I have the belt drive version I bought on sale at Woodcraft.  Have the bowl rest and one extension.  It is a solid lathe and I have had no problems with it.  There are a few small complaints.  One annoying thing is the size and kind of thread on the locking levers for the tool rest.  You have to push hard to get stuff locked in place and then the thread sticks a bit and it is hard to get it loose.  Since you adjust the tool rest often it gets to be irritating.  For the amount of money I spent I think I have a solid performer.  But more money spent would produce a  better lathe.  Nova does scrimp a little on machining finish and user design.  If the budget allows I would look hard at the Jet and the Powermatic and others up front.
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2016 at 9:16am by Bill Moschler »  

IP Logged

AJ Royle
WR Noob

Amherst, Nebraska, USA
Amherst
Nebraska
USA

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 1:39am

I am not sure if you have purchased the NOVA 1624 yet or not, but right now Woodcraft has a sale going on and it is $849.  I bought one from them in November for $999 and the shipping was another $199. 

That said, mine arrived with a defective spindle, and resulting spindle wobble. The customer service I received from them was terrible to say the least.  However, it seems as many on here have had great customer service, so maybe I am just unlucky.

Once I got the new spindle and bearings installed it has ran great though.  It is surprisingly well balanced for the larger out of balance logs/blanks for its relatively low overall weight.  Changing the belts hasn't been an issue for me other than the flimsy cover that you have to open.  I'll be getting rid of the screw in knob/latch for it and using magnets soon though, but that is an easy fix for what is more of an annoyance than a problem. 

I'm torn on whether I would recommend it or not though.

On one hand it is a good running lathe that performs like a bigger lathe than it is. 

On the other side, it arrived in unusable condition and the customer service was horrible at best. But like I said, maybe I was just unlucky in that department.

Best of luck with whatever lathe you decide to go with, and don't forget to check craigslist, you never know what you might get lucky and find on there.

IP Logged

Kevin Campbell

WR Rocks!

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 1:34pm

I ordered mine, Saturday, from Woodcraft. It should be in on Friday.

IP Logged

Anthony maida

WR Rocks!

Port Chester, New York, USA
Port Chester
New York
USA

nova 1624-44
Pennstate 10''var speed
Reply #8 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 6:42pm

Kevin Did You get your 1624? Is it ok?
         I just ordered One.

IP Logged

Don French

WR Rocks!

stanhope, New Jersey, USA
stanhope
New Jersey
USA

Reply #9 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 8:17pm

Got my 1624from Woodcraft 4 years ago no problems with it and I use it 20 to30 hours a week when its warm.

IP Logged

Kevin Campbell

WR Rocks!

Reply #10 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 12:11am

Anthony, tomorrow is the day for me. Hopefully, I'll have it together, and running by 5.

IP Logged

Anthony maida

WR Rocks!

Port Chester
New York
USA

nova 1624-44
Pennstate 10''var speed
Reply #11 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 9:49am

Thanks Kevin  Can you let me know how you have made
                     out,putting it together,etc. I have heard a
                     couple reviews about spindle wobble.I just
                     ordered mine, have it on lay away so it will
                     be a couple of months before I get it.Thanks

IP Logged

AJ Royle
WR Noob

Amherst, Nebraska, USA
Amherst
Nebraska
USA

Reply #12 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 3:04pm

I am one of those who had a bad spindle on my 1624. Putting it together was a snap though, took less than an hour.  I would recommend putting blue or red locktite on the studs that go into the headstock housing though (the ones that the motor slides on to.  It will help keep the tight as they can loosen when the motor is rotated when changing the belt speeds.

One other thing I would recommend doing when you get your lathe, is to make sure that the front bearing is seated all the way. Before you put the motor on, swivel the headstock 180 degrees and run the tailstock up to the back of the spindle to give it support, then use a piece of pvc pipe to go over the the front of the spindle (make sure that it is only resting on the inner metal part of the bearing, not the plastic) and just give it a few light taps to start. It should sound and feel solid, if not, you may need to tap it a few more times to get it back to where it needs to be.

Mine 1624 was a nightmare upon arrival, but now that I have replaced the parts, it is a good running little lathe.  Price wise it is tough to beat as well.

Hopefully yours are good upon arrival, but if not pm me. I have the contact info for the people there who can actually help get things straightened out, I had to go way above the regular customer service department to get things done.

IP Logged

Anthony maida

WR Rocks!

Port Chester
New York
USA

nova 1624-44
Pennstate 10''var speed
Reply #13 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 4:09pm

Thanks for that info AJ when I receive my lathe,I will check
back with you. I have any other Questions.I,am going to look
up the manuel for it and see where the bearings Are Etc.

IP Logged

Kevin Campbell

WR Rocks!

Reply #14 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 5:01pm

Mine is in the bed of my truck. I'm waiting on someone to come look at my little Delta, and maybe buy it. Either way, after they look at it, I'm going to clear out a space, and get to putting it together.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print