Port Chester, New York, USA
Port Chester
New York
USA

nova 1624-44
Pennstate 10''var speed
Re: Nova 1624 II
Reply #15 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 5:18pm

Thats sounds great Kevin,when your all done send a couple pics if you can.

IP Logged

Kevin Campbell

WR Rocks!

Reply #16 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 12:12am

It's all together, set up, cleaned, bed waxed and ready to go. No spindle problems. 1 weird thing is that I am certain it runs opposite of the forward and reverse settings.

IP Logged

AJ Royle
WR Noob

Amherst, Nebraska, USA
Amherst
Nebraska
USA

Reply #17 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 2:51am

Kevin Campbell wrote on Dec 24th, 2016 at 12:12am:
It's all together, set up, cleaned, bed waxed and ready to go. No spindle problems. 1 weird thing is that I am certain it runs opposite of the forward and reverse settings.

There is a recall on the switch if the forward and reverse are switched.  Call in to their customer service if you are feeling lucky, or call John Ford extension 706 if you actually want the part, and they will send you a new electrical box. Or offer to have you return the lathe and they will ship you a new one...

I finally got in touch with their marketing manager about the problems I had, and listed the forward/reverse being backwards as well as the condition my 1624 arrived in, and she said that the recall notice was supposedly on their website.  Apparently none of the lathes from the batch that had that problem were supposed to be fixed before they were sent out.

IP Logged

AJ Royle
WR Noob

Amherst, Nebraska, USA
Amherst
Nebraska
USA

Reply #18 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 2:12pm

Well, I typed that last message too soon. They told me that it was a problem with the electrical box with the switch that was recalled, and they would send out a whole new electrical box.  But the package arrived today and it is just the little silver plastic piece that has the "f" and "r" on it.   It's not really a big worry for me regardless, after the first two times of using it you learn which way is forward and reverse anyway.

IP Logged

Kevin Campbell

WR Rocks!

Reply #19 - Dec 27th, 2016 at 4:41pm

I'll tell ya, I am loving this lathe. Speed and stability are 2 excellent characteristics for woodturning. And, the swivel head is great. Back and left shoulder are very thankful for that feature. Also, a guy called from Nova, and they are sending out the part for the forward/ reverse issue.
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2016 at 4:42pm by Kevin Campbell »  

IP Logged

Anthony maida

WR Rocks!

Port Chester
New York
USA

nova 1624-44
Pennstate 10''var speed
Reply #20 - Dec 27th, 2016 at 10:21pm

Thats Great to hear Kevin I can,t wait until I get mine. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Ken Bryant
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

I have a Jet mini
Reply #21 - Dec 31st, 2016 at 8:14pm

Im looking at this Lathe now, just seems to good to be true. I might just have to do it when woodcraft has thier anniversary sale on the 28th.
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2016 at 8:30pm by Ken Bryant »  

IP Logged

jeff bernaeyge
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

hampshire,il, Illinois, USA
hampshire,il
Illinois
USA

Reply #22 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 8:42am

I have the nova 16-24. it is a no frills work horse. make sure you add weight to it. the lathe is to light and will shake with larger unbalances pieces.

customer support is horrible though.

remedywoodworking@hotmail.com
nova 1624-44
jet 10-15vs

IP Logged

Anthony maida

WR Rocks!

Port Chester
New York
USA

nova 1624-44
Pennstate 10''var speed
Reply #23 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 10:57pm

Jeff  Where did you add weight to yours?
       Do you have  the iron stand or
       the one that comes with it?Thanks Anthony

IP Logged

jeff bernaeyge
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

hampshire,il, Illinois, USA
hampshire,il
Illinois
USA

Reply #24 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 8:13am

i have the hybrid stand. I hung some weight with a chain attached to the top of the legs. added a total of 170 lbs, I still need to try and add some more.

remedywoodworking@hotmail.com
nova 1624-44
jet 10-15vs

IP Logged

Ron Page

WR Rocks!

Reply #25 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 12:37pm

I've had the 1624 for three years. I added the outboard spindle wheel and highly recommend getting that little item.  I continually use it to "apply the brakes" when shutting off the lathe - much safer than grabbing the chuck or rotating stock. Last year I added the factory variable speed upgrade. Yes, it was easy enough to deal with the belts, but I found myself leaving it in just a few basic speeds and not changing around as much as I probably should.  The variable speed definitely took care of that, and I'm now all over the map with spindle speeds as I perform different operations. Pure pleasure.  My only gripe thus far is that it has been much harder to switch from forward to reverse, taking several pushes on the pressure switch before it actually changes.  Just this past few days I may have discovered that maybe I've been pushing too hard on that pressure switch.  It seems to respond much better to just light taps/pushes.  If so, my only gripe will be gone. My upgrade did come with a broken control box housing. The company sent me a replacement but after looking at all the wiring I'd have to change over I decided to repair the broken box in place.  So far it's holding up fine.

I was a little disappointed to find that the headstock bearings are all in about a 3-inch portion of the headstock housing instead of being on either side of the pully drives. Doesn't seem to be a problem in actual use though so maybe it's just my old-school sort of thinking. I don't think I'd want to do any metal spinning on this lathe though because of the headstock bearing locations.

The 1624 in original or variable speed form is a fine lathe.

ron

IP Logged

Ken Bryant
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

I have a Jet mini
Reply #26 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 9:55pm

Bit the bullet, bought the 1624 -2 and have been setting it up. Installed wheels and have a lower shelf across the legs. Eventually I'll build a set of drawers to hold items. Also bulding a tool holder that will swing open. Mine does have the backward problem but they are sending me a replacement label.
I did do a quick test turn and it worked fine and was smooth.
The bed surface is not very smooth but it works.
All bolts are metric.
The tool rest that comes with it is ROUGH cast need to smooth it with a file so tools glide over the surface. Or, buy aftermarket rests.
It's kinda a pain to align the head to tail stock when turning point to point. The head lock needs to be adjusted or tightened slowly to keep the points aligned.
Overall, think this is gonna be a fun toy.

IP Logged

Ken Bryant
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

I have a Jet mini
Reply #27 - Mar 18th, 2017 at 7:20am

After having the 1624 for a month I find that some accessories are really useful. First, get the head allignment tool. This thing makes quick work of aligning the tailstock and head. Very useful if you rotate the head for anywork.
The hand wheel is another I think that is needed. darn thing doesn't come with one. I find I miss this as my Jet had one.
Get a smaller tool rest. The big 12" that it comes with is to big for small work.

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #28 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 3:18pm

Ken, I think I would call the service center (Nova USA) about the handwheel.   Maybe they changed but they do list it (part 67) in the 1624II manual.  I have never heard of a Nova not coming with a handwheel.
You didn't buy it as a store display did you?

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Anthony maida

WR Rocks!

Port Chester
New York
USA

nova 1624-44
Pennstate 10''var speed
Reply #29 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 7:19pm