Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A New Setup Gauge from Rockler (Read 994 times)

Steve Arnold

WR Rocks!

Burbank, California, USA
Burbank
California
USA

Jet 1640EVS
A New Setup Gauge from Rockler
Nov 1st, 2016 at 10:30am

I've been turning for just over a year now and have been thinking about attempting a segmented bowl.

Rocker just came out with this setup tool for the miter gauge on a table saw.

I was wondering if you guys think it would work the way it should for cutting precise segments.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

There's a video on it beginning at the 3:02 mark.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2016 at 11:23am by Steve Arnold »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: A New Setup Gauge from Rockler
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2016 at 11:00am

These aren't new, just new to Rockler.
I've said it before in another thread.
I would put the $70 towards an Incra miter gauge and you won't have to fuss with anything.
IMO, Faster and easier. Also you can get an Incra miter gauge that has positive stops at every single degree, ( plus a vernier scale for 10th's) not just those that create a particular number of segments.
You purchase whatever you like, I'm just trying to point out things that aren't always obvious.
Miter gauges are sometimes like saw blades, the one that come with the tool are not that good, there are exceptions.

IP Logged

Rob Grindler

kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2016 at 12:42pm

There are always pros and cons to everything.For me you can't beat a wedgie sled,perfect rings every-time and no gluing half rings and later adjusting. Although it does have it's limitations too.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2016 at 1:33pm

Rob Grindler wrote on Nov 1st, 2016 at 12:42pm:
There are always pros and cons to everything.For me you can't beat a wedgie sled,perfect rings every-time and no gluing half rings and later adjusting. Although it does have it's limitations too.

Once again, comparing a miter gauge and a wedgie sled is like comparing apples and oranges.
A miter gauge is designed to align wood to be cut at any angle it can accommodate. It is an all purpose alignment tool.
A wedgie sled is designed to cut precise angles relative to itself. It is a task specific tool.

IP Logged

Rob Grindler

kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2016 at 4:17pm

Ed Weber wrote on Nov 1st, 2016 at 1:33pm:
Rob Grindler wrote on Nov 1st, 2016 at 12:42pm:

Once again, comparing a miter gauge and a wedgie sled is like comparing apples and oranges.
A miter gauge is designed to align wood to be cut at any angle it can accommodate. It is an all purpose alignment tool.
A wedgie sled is designed to cut precise angles relative to itself. It is a task specific tool.

Specific to the task asked about in  the original post.Attempting segmented turning.I have nothing against the Incra ,or Rockler  and they can probably be used for things other than segmenting.But for segmenting IMO you can't beat a wedgie sled.

IP Logged

Steve Arnold

WR Rocks!

Burbank, California, USA
Burbank
California
USA

Jet 1640EVS
Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2016 at 5:49pm

I appreciate all the help, Guys.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2016 at 5:58pm

The point I was trying to make is that if you have a good miter gauge, you can build a wedgie sled and anything else you can think of.
It doesn't work as well the other way around.

Rob Grindler wrote on Nov 1st, 2016 at 4:17pm:
But for segmenting IMO you can't beat a wedgie sled.

"Segmenting" has an extremely broad range of construction methods that cover much more than what a wedgie sled can produce. IMO a wedgie sled is just one tool out of many, not the answer to every segmenting related.
We will agree to disagree

IP Logged

Jeff Hankinson
WR Noob

Hooked on turning!

Barrhead, Alberta, Canada
Barrhead
Alberta
Canada

Oneway 16-40
Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2017 at 11:47am

I agree with Ed. I am relatively new to turning. I have used both with my initial forays into segmented and staved vessels. I invested quite some time tuning up my saw wrt accuracy of cuts and then did a side by side comparison of my miter gauge/miterset and a wedgie sled. For simple rings I found I was more likely to get a 'perfect' ring with the wedgie sled than the miter gauge but had to correct half rings with both. Neither the sled or the miter gauge were useful for making staved sided bowls. I could rip a strip on the table saw and cut up the pieces, or use a birdsmouth router bit along one edge of a strip.

"Gladly would he learn and gladly teach"
G. Chaucer, Canterbury Tales

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print