Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lichtenberg Wood Burner (Read 3,723 times)

william trench

WR Rocks!

South Salem, USA
South Salem
USA

Re: Lichtenberg Wood Burner
Reply #15 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 7:45am

My son just sent this to me yesterday:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

wood turned good
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW kitchawanwood  
IP Logged

Tom Brouillette

WR Rocks!

Memphis, USA
Memphis
USA

Reply #16 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 11:57am

That's a little scary having two transformers in parallel.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #17 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 11:59am

My thoughts as well.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #18 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 10:41pm

I have made my burner system with 9kv 30mA neon Transformer. I was concerned with the possibility of someone not understanding what the box is and with a standard plug it could be energized, Potentially Very Dangerous.

I have hard wired my two hand switches in line between the 120 volt plug and the transformer. This means that even if someone plugs in the cord no power will go to the transformer unless both hand switches are pressed. This also means I can't use a hand probe because if I release one switch power gets shut off.
My probe holders are similar to Mike Peace's third hand in his video but I use mine as the contact probe holders for both High Tension Leads, leads attach to my #10 awg probes (hardened by twisting) with alligator clips. I set up the wood and probes and then stand back with my two hand switch board to watch the fun.
Having an electrical background I also added a power monitor meter and a Variac in the upstream supply. I now know how much primary current flows for different woods and different solution concentrations.
I did some hollow ball Ornaments but found that I should have done the fractal process BEFORE I hollowed the ball, LOL.
Great learning curve and some very unique artistic embellishment opportunity.
Safety First.
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2016 at 10:45pm by Bert Delisle »  

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #19 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 1:16pm

Bert: Would you mind posting where you got your transformer and its model information. I've tried several different ones now - wasting money - only to find that they all had ground fault protection and as a result, they shut down immediately when the probes are touched to the wood. I've spoken to two manufacturers and they have confirmed that transformers with ground fault protection will not work for our purposes.

There was another thread in this forum in which we discussed this question at length and a couple of us asked if those who were successful in finding a transformer that worked would post model information, but no one has done that.

Thank you.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Glenn Roberts

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Reply #20 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 8:09pm

Grant, is the gfi circuit external to the transformer? If so, bypass may be possible. One method is here:

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #21 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 10:42pm

Glenn: On all the units that I tried, the GFI circuit is internal. And, when I opened one of the metals cases to see if I could bypass it, the entire transformer and circuity was encased in a solid tar like substance.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #22 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 12:21am

Grant Wilkinson wrote on Dec 11th, 2016 at 1:16pm:
Bert: Would you mind posting where you got your transformer and its model information. I've tried several different ones now - wasting money - only to find that they all had ground fault protection and as a result, they shut down immediately when the probes are touched to the wood. I've spoken to two manufacturers and they have confirmed that transformers with ground fault protection will not work for our purposes.

There was another thread in this forum in which we discussed this question at length and a couple of us asked if those who were successful in finding a transformer that worked would post model information, but no one has done that.

Thank you.

The unit used was a GF compliant unit xl1035 made by Array. Not sure where it came from as it was acquired by a fellow woodturner on line. Be very careful with any electrical equipment especially the high tension secondary wiring. Not sure why yours failed but if the ground fault protection triggered then likely your setup may actually have had a ground fault path, the device protection safety  apparently worked.  I doubt you will find much industry technical support for this re-application of the electrical devices.
Safety is paramount in the Woodturning environment and more so with electrical.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #23 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 10:26am

Bert Delisle wrote on Dec 13th, 2016 at 12:21am:
I doubt you will find much industry technical support for this re-application of the electrical devices.

You don't/won't find too many people willing to tell you how to disable the safety devices on their products. While a product that was designed for a certain application may work in another, it's not supposed to and usually not tested to do so. Products are tested for proper operation in the normal operating conditions that they are likely to experience and then pushed to failure.
If you use a product in a way in which it wasn't designed, then there is really no way you can predict how or when it may fail.
It may also be illegal to provide this type of information to consumers in some circumstances.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #24 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 10:26pm

I am amazed at how many folks take huge risks with HIgh Voltage electricity, like hand holding probes. Hence the "dead man switch" as its name implies when your dead it shuts off.
My home made system (neon tx) has safety and controls that address respect for High voltage. Probes are in holders that are placed on the work piece and two hand switches are hard wired wired in series with the transformer so that both hands are nowhere near any current carrying High Voltage wires when power is applied. No need for a "Dead man" switch because as soon as one hand is moved to adjust a probe the hand switch opens and cuts power off.  In my opinion much safer to avoid any and all body contact with energized high voltage.
JMNSHO

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2017 at 10:28pm by Bert Delisle »  

IP Logged

Rob Grindler

kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #25 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 12:49pm

Bert Delisle wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 10:26pm:
I am amazed at how many folks take huge risks with HIgh Voltage electricity, like hand holding probes. Hence the "dead man switch" as its name implies when your dead it shuts off.
My home made system (neon tx) has safety and controls that address respect for High voltage. Probes are in holders that are placed on the work piece and two hand switches are hard wired wired in series with the transformer so that both hands are nowhere near any current carrying High Voltage wires when power is applied. No need for a "Dead man" switch because as soon as one hand is moved to adjust a probe the hand switch opens and cuts power off.  In my opinion much safer to avoid any and all body contact with energized high voltage.
JMNSHO

Sorry, I'm not understanding your explanation of how your system works.It sounds great ,but could you explain further how it disconnects when you move your hand,Maybe a picture or two if you can.

IP Logged

Rob Grindler

kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #26 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 1:10pm

Rob Grindler wrote on Feb 16th, 2017 at 12:49pm:
Bert Delisle wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 10:26pm:
JMNSHO

Sorry, I'm not understanding your explanation of how your system works.It sounds great ,but could you explain further how it disconnects when you move your hand,Maybe a picture or two if you can.

Thanks for your PM. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #27 - Feb 18th, 2017 at 5:42pm

Rob Grindker wrote;

Rob I managed to remember to snap a picture of my system when I set up to burn a project.  And was able reduce the size to a forum eleigible size. You can see my switch board on the left. Probe holders are adjustable up, down and probes can rotate sideways to meet any expected project shape or size.
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2017 at 5:50pm by Bert Delisle »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print