Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What would you sell this for? (Read 1,989 times)

Andrew Abercrombie

Shavin' it easy

Eagan, MN, Minnesota, USA
Eagan, MN
Minnesota
USA

What would you sell this for?
Nov 18th, 2016 at 3:23pm

Just finished my nicest bowl yet. An 8" tamarack bowl finished with plan beeswax. My wife wants to keep it of course so I'll let her. I am curious what something like this would sell for?

A:) Let's take roll call to see if we're all here.
B:) Well now, it could be that we are all here, then some of us aren't all there.
A:) Right, let the record show that we are here.
C:) Who?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: What would you sell this for?
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 8:30pm

Andrew

If you look on Etsy, or at craft shows, you might find an 8" bowl being sold for $25 or $30, but probably not with just a wax finish which doesn't allow the bowl to have much of a function other than decoration.  Doesn't mean that's all the bowl is worth, or that no one would pay more, just what some people price bowls.

IP Logged

Buck Nemitt
WR Supporter

Lovin It

Toronto,Ohio, Ohio, USA
Toronto,Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 9:33pm

Don't know about a price but a nice round piece of Cork would work and look well in the bottom where your Chuck held. Very interesting figure in your bowl which would be nice to throw some packaged candy in --

What the heck,Give it a try---

IP Logged

Andrew Abercrombie

Shavin' it easy

Eagan, MN, Minnesota, USA
Eagan, MN
Minnesota
USA

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 10:59pm

Don- didn't realize there needed to be a "function" my intent was purely decoration. What would you recommend for finishes for the item(s) to be functional?

A:) Let's take roll call to see if we're all here.
B:) Well now, it could be that we are all here, then some of us aren't all there.
A:) Right, let the record show that we are here.
C:) Who?

IP Logged

Jenny Trice
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

St. Paul, MN, Minnesota, USA
St. Paul, MN
Minnesota
USA

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 6:57am

Love the tamarack wood.  Nice job on the bowl.  I agree with the previous comments re: price.

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Devotee

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 8:09am

Don Stephan wrote on Nov 18th, 2016 at 8:30pm:
Andrew

If you look on Etsy, or at craft shows, you might find an 8" bowl being sold for $25 or $30, but probably not with just a wax finish which doesn't allow the bowl to have much of a function other than decoration. Doesn't mean that's all the bowl is worth, or that no one would pay more, just what some people price bowls.

Many makers of strictly utilitarian pieces used only a beeswax finish (including Richard Raffen who says that's the best finish for a cereal bowl).

I've seen bowls like this with a beeswax finish for $70-100 at craft fairs.

My question relates to the knots in the wood.  Most of the utilitarian bowls I've seen have been made of fairly bland wood that doesn't have a lot of knots.  I would be concerned about how the long term use of a bowl with knots - are the knots sealed so that liquids can't seep into the boundaries between the knots and the wood? 

The knots in the timber would suggest that might be more of a display piece.  However, it might still be possible use this for utility purposes if you seal those knots with CA or epoxy before applying the beeswax finish, but the eventual owner will need to be very careful to not let liquids just sit in the bowl for extended periods.
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2016 at 8:15am by Louie Powell »  

Louie

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 11:08am

This Topic was moved here from Turning Talk by Ed Weber.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 12:11pm

Andrew Abercrombie wrote on Nov 18th, 2016 at 3:23pm:
Just finished my nicest bowl yet. An 8" tamarack bowl finished with plan beeswax. My wife wants to keep it of course so I'll let her. I am curious what something like this would sell for?

Hey Andrew, I moved your post because it's more of a marketing question and as such will be getting a bit of a critique to figure out the cost.
First of all, it's a nice looking bowl.
Secondly, there is no easy answer like "it's worth $__"
Everything from wood species, size, shape, execution, finish and what the market will bear, come into play when trying to price your piece.
I would also do some investigating on ETSY, but don't get discouraged. Make sure you look and see if that seller has actually sold something at that price.
Find several pieces as similar to yours as possible and then do your comparisons.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2016 at 11:04am

Andrew

You will find extensive helpful discussion on type types of finishes, application methods, and use suitability in archived discussions of this section of Woodturner's Resource.  You will find differences of opinion, which is healthy and helpful as well.  When I first discovered this web site, I spent many many hours first reading through archived discussions in the various sections for the fast exposure to cumulative experience and opinion.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2016 at 3:06pm

Andrew

I will say this.

1. Depends on location. California, New York, or other wealthy cities.
2. Size of bowl and function of it.
3. Who is making it.

There are lot of Pro turners who make functional bowls for a living. There are a lot of well known turners who people buy normal bowls for HIGH prices just for collector items only.

Now of us normal people in non wealthy cities and normal domestic woods it would go for maybe $25 to $35.

A lot of people are not looking for Big bowls most of the time in the over 12" range since they take up to much room, unless of course something else Artsy is put in it and hung on the wall.

Now yours with all the knots tho looks nice I am pretty sure it will crack in the future unless CA glue was applied to hold them in. So even tho someone will buy it and then later find it is cracking in several places will put off the buyer from the seller in the future.

This is just part of selling and if you and if you Google you will find out a lot in YouTube videos for sure.

So all and all I would not sell it and either give it away or keep it and only sell that which will make buyers want to come back time after time.

Arlin
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2016 at 3:15pm by Arlin Eastman »  

It is always the right time; To do the right thing

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 1:36pm

What happened to "Diameter X $10.00 USD= price?"

This would make your 8 inch bowl be priced at $80.00
I would not be afraid of the knots. Most of my bowls have something similar. I do finish with Poly though.

Glenn J.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #11 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 1:54pm

Glenn Jacobs wrote on Nov 21st, 2016 at 1:36pm:
What happened to "Diameter X $10.00 USD= price?"

Glenn, I forgot to mention that as a starting point.
IMO, you do have to add and subtract from the basic sum, depending on the piece
Examples,
you may have to subtract  XX $ because it only has a wax finish.
You may have to add xx $ because the wood has visual interest.
and so on

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #12 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 8:02pm

Adding diameter to height might be a better approximation of the work that went into a bowl, instead of just using the diameter.

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #13 - Nov 23rd, 2016 at 3:40pm

Also what I paid/had to go through to get the blank.
Some bowl blanks can get pricey, and at $35 bucks, that doesn't leave much for time and other materials.
OTOH, a free , or waste chunk of wood, I might be apt to let it go for a little less.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - Nov 23rd, 2016 at 4:36pm

JMO (and maybe some facts)

Don Stephan wrote on Nov 21st, 2016 at 8:02pm:
Adding diameter to height might be a better approximation of the work that went into a bowl, instead of just using the diameter.

You still need a starting place.
$10 per inch of diameter is the starting place. If you think a deeper bowl should cost more then add $__  to the base price for a deeper bowl. Keep in mind, price doesn't always increase in conjunction with size.

John Cepko wrote on Nov 23rd, 2016 at 3:40pm:
Also what I paid/had to go through to get the blank.
Some bowl blanks can get pricey, and at $35 bucks, that doesn't leave much for time and other materials.

Unless you have rare, exotic wood and/or are willing to tell stories about how it came into being. (all in order to raise your price) no one cares what you paid in time & materials, sorry that's how it is sometimes.
It's really what the market will bear, it doesn't matter if you paid $79.99 in T&M or $9.00 in T&M, an $80 bowl is still an $80 bowl.
Just because someone puts a price on a piece, doesn't mean they'll get it, no matter what the profit margin.

John Cepko wrote on Nov 23rd, 2016 at 3:40pm:
OTOH, a free , or waste chunk of wood, I might be apt to let it go for a little less.

I would never lower my asking price because I paid less for T&M.
I have wood that I purchased many years ago, some has doubled in price. If I sell a piece today, I ask for today's prices, not less because I paid less for the materials years ago when I bought it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print