Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What would you sell this for? (Read 1,844 times)

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Re: What would you sell this for?
Reply #15 - Nov 23rd, 2016 at 7:42pm

I also would never lower a price just because it is Free wood.  To me it is cutting your profit and everyone else who sells them.  Buyers will think that all of the turnings should be in that range of lets say $15 for a small box made out of Pine or out of Ebony or even if there is embellishment's on the pine box or there are a ton of options

But never lower a price because the wood is cheap or free

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #16 - Nov 24th, 2016 at 11:26am

Free wood ain't free, there's a cost in getting it home and in usable shape. But that's half the fun.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #17 - Nov 25th, 2016 at 8:54am

My guesstimate is, picking up a section of log or large branch no more than 5 miles away, studying the ends for optimal pith-removing cuts, and quickly knocking off the corners averages about an hour per salad mixing bowl blank.  Sure it can be done more quickly, but off-center grain pattern in the bottom of the bowl, or unbalanced sapwood-heartwood mix, makes a less attractive bowl in my opinion.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #18 - Nov 25th, 2016 at 10:50am

There are few in marketing hang in on this topic.

A marketing person does not mess with formulas.  It is all about what the buyer is willing to pay and what the seller is willing to accept.  Assume negotiations (or haggling in some form).

If the seller brings skills and reputation, the buyer may be willing to pay more.  Local market sets a norm or average, but a seller should seek to beat the norm.   

A craftsperson will generate less price buzz than an artist.  Utility generates less excitement than art.

Here in alaska, the comparison is to Amazon prime for utility and generic art, so the artist needs to be seen as more than a comodity producer.

The challenge is most of us just ain't sales people and under price and under haggle.

So set your price higher and be willing to haggle a bit, unless you are in a gallery.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #19 - Nov 25th, 2016 at 1:36pm

Ken Vaughan wrote on Nov 25th, 2016 at 10:50am:
So set your price higher and be willing to haggle a bit, unless you are in a gallery.

Its easier to lower your price than it is to raise your price.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Gary D Baker

WR Rocks!

Reply #20 - Nov 25th, 2016 at 10:58pm

That bowl is worth what you can get for it.  If you take the time you spent to make it and the cost of the wood you don't even have a place to start.  Who is going to pay you for the last 15 bowls that split or flew apart on the lathe.  Who pays for the sandpaper and finishes.  What about replacing tools, electricity, bags for shavings and gas to go find wood ... and chainsaw chains and trips to the emergency room.  Show expenses, travel expenses.   I've had all those expenses in the last month.  And More.

The bowl is still only worth what someone will pay for it ... and to find that out, you have to go out and present it to customers and let them tell you yea or nay.  If you calculate the cost of the wood and time to make it alone, you will not begin to cover what you have in it.  To arrive at this piece of wood you are selling today, all the other man hours and expenses have to be covered. 

So the only way to come out is to price the wood at what you think a customer will pay.  That may be quite a bit higher than your calculations of cost of wood and time might dictate.  The way that you can make money is to present a quality product that has such character, such temptation and promise of enduring beauty that the customer will pay what you ask.  Then, you will cover the cost of those bad decisions, bad pieces of wood and tool replacements.  The attendance to bad shows, emergency room co-pays won't be quite so painful.

But, if the customer won't pay what you think it is worth, you may have to reduce the price to sell it.  Then, all that time and expense comes back into play.  So, if you are going to sell that bowl to someone realize that there is no formula for size, or your cost of making the product that is workable for what we do. We make art ... some good art ... some bad.  Good sells ... bad don't.

That is a nice bowl.  Your wife is paying you a wonderful compliment.  Give it to her.  Doing so will probably make her happy and make it easier for you to buy more stuff to allow you to sink further into the vortex.

IP Logged

Dave Richards
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #21 - Nov 26th, 2016 at 6:31am

Well said Gary  +1

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #22 - Nov 26th, 2016 at 10:41am

Gary D Baker wrote on Nov 25th, 2016 at 10:58pm:
hat bowl is worth what you can get for it.

This is what I said earlier
"It's really what the market will bear, it doesn't matter if you paid $79.99 in T&M or $9.00 in T&M, an $80 bowl is still an $80 bowl."

While Gary went into some detail, whether you acknowledge it or not all those factors are in the cost of the bowl, not what price you sell it for but the actual cost it took to get a finished product.

You can use formulas, haggle or whatever you want to do, bottom line is get more dollars out of it than you put into it.

Costing a piece is a science
Selling or marketing a piece is an art

IP Logged

Andrew Arndts
WR Noob

South Central MI, Michigan, USA
South Central MI
Michigan
USA

Reply #23 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 8:48pm

What the market will bear really...
start out at $25 if it sells without the customer himming or hawing over the price it was too low.
I call a bowl like that a "Carlin Bowl."  From one of George Carlin's comedy routines "A Place for my stuff" Roll Eyes

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Supporter

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #24 - Apr 16th, 2017 at 6:35pm

Pricing pieces for sale can be a daunting task when you account for materials, geography, hobby vs profession, etc etc.  I just completed another local market two weeks ago and sold just over half my inventory, coming away with just over $350.  I appreciate that my prices are incredibly low but that's also a function of my location, small town clientele, that this is a hobby of mine without a goal of actually making much money, as well as there's no other local competition that I feel I'm under-cutting.

As I said, for me...turning is a hobby I love and selling some pieces keeps me and my pieces out of the dog house with my wife as she was getting frustrated with the build-up of my 'stuff' before I started selling some locally.  And whereas I like to think I've gotten better and better at my turning over the years I turn mostly 'user' pieces of bowls, platters, and glass coasters, etc.  So in the end, I admit I'm happier selling 10 pieces for $250 total as opposed to 5 pieces at $50 each.

In the end...it's the objective numbers of costs contrasted with the subjective dynamic of what you want to get out of it.  For me, I'm just happy when a customer proclaims they've found the perfect $30 gift for an upcoming friend's birthday or shower.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print