Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Segment Pro (from Lloyd Johnson (Read 3,311 times)

Mike Fisher

WR Rocks!

Segment Pro (from Lloyd Johnson
Nov 23rd, 2016 at 3:22pm

Lloyd Johnson who developed the Wood Turner Pro suite for segment wood projects has now come out with a new software application called Segment Pro.  It is still in the beta testing with the final to be out within 30 days.  You can download a free test version for a 30 day test.

The link is to some of the tutorials Lloyd has out on the new software.  The software main goal is to make it very simple to design a segment bowl and produce the cut list needed for the project.  It does not replace WTP, but is another tools.  An interesting feature is the beginner, intermediate and advanced settings for the bowl design.

Hope some of you will check it out.  I find it to be another interesting tool.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Segment Pro (from Lloyd Johnson
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2016 at 3:56pm

Thanks Mike, I've heard good things about Wood Turner Pro, so I assume this will be just as good.

IP Logged

Mike Fisher

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2016 at 5:08pm

Ed Weber wrote on Nov 23rd, 2016 at 3:56pm:
Thanks Mike, I've heard good things about Wood Turner Pro, so I assume this will be just as good.

I have used WTP for years.  Love it for developing plans.

Working with Segmented Pro is different.  Over 200 profiles to use.  It seems it is more geared to the novice and intermediate user.  One neat feature is it provides the volume of the bowl for you.  So for those making urns, etc.

They are two different programs, but each are easy and fun to use.

IP Logged

Lloyd Johnson
WR Noob

Portland, Oregon, Oregon, USA
Portland, Oregon
Oregon
USA

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2016 at 10:04pm

Mike Fisher wrote on Nov 23rd, 2016 at 5:08pm:
Ed Weber wrote on Nov 23rd, 2016 at 3:56pm:

Working with Segmented Pro is different.  Over 200 profiles to use.  It seems it is more geared to the novice and intermediate user.  One neat feature is it provides the volume of the bowl for you.  So for those making urns, etc.

They are two different programs, but each are easy and fun to use.

I wrote this software to attract woodworkers and wood turners who have never made anything segmented to give it a try.  To accomplish this, I've done my best to make it easy, powerful and fun to use.  I call it a rapid development tool, all in 3D where you can select (or draw) a profile, specify the height, the type of bowl (painted segment, feature ring or tornado bowl) and the skill level (novice, intermediate or advanced) and you have a segmented plan ready to take to the shop.  You can, of course, customize the dickens out of them, but it stops short of the capabilities of Woodturner PRO, simply to keep the user interface simple.

It takes just seconds to create hundreds of different plans and once created, you can change most of its properties in single keystrokes such as segments per row, row thickness, species, wall width, height, and diameter, to name a few. Once created, you can also rotate through user-created palettes of species which will completely recolor the bowl using different species.

You can then place the completed bowl in a number of 3D settings, including a dining table, fireplace mantle, display case and even mounted on a lathe.  There is also a Price Quote system that lets you generate a customized PDF Price Quote for a potential client that you can either print or email that will have a picture of the completed bowl, details about the bowl and your contact information.  The pricing algorithm can be completely customized by the user.
So yes, I made this software with the novice and intermediate woodturner in mind, but that is not to say that there isn't a lot there for experts as well.  For example, I created the attached painted segment bowl from scratch with more than 1100 segments and then painted over 900 of them, all in less than two minutes.

I'm quite pleased at where Segment PRO is for a Version 1.0 release and am looking forward to where it will go in the months and years ahead.  Here's the link to download a trial version, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. Make sure you watch the video tutorials first.  They will show you how to get the most out of the software.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2016 at 10:06pm by Lloyd Johnson »  

Owner, Woodturner PRO, LLC

In my mind, all my tools are sharp.
WWW https://www.facebook.com/WoodturnerPro?ref=hl  
IP Logged

Robert Beaupre
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

Jet
Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2016 at 11:40am

This is going to be a great piece of software,  Lloyd keeps tweaking the program adding suggestions from members of the forum.  The program is especially good with visualizing what your finish bowl will look like using 3d you can see it from any angle.  The paint portion of the program makes putting a design on your bowl a snap.  He is targeting the people that have never built a segment bowl because it's to hard to design, well that excuse goes out the window with this new program.  Like Mike said there is a 30 day trial on the site now that you can download and try.  If you ever thought about doing a segmented bowl give it a try you might find a new passion, as I have. 

I've attached a screen shot of the paint portion of Segment PRO

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2016 at 12:06pm

Will it give you your cut list for the segments or do you have to take the design to a different program for that.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Lloyd Johnson
WR Noob

Portland, Oregon, Oregon, USA
Portland, Oregon
Oregon
USA

Reply #6 - Nov 24th, 2016 at 12:41pm

Len,

Segment PRO is designed so that you never need to switch programs unless you want to create a feature ring design in another program such as Lamination PRO.

The Summary print not only has the traditional grid that you take to the shop, it also allows you to Optimize the data so that Board Widths are slightly modified so that you can group rows that have the same board width.  You can also optimize it by the Segment Edge Length and then group the printout with that as well.  In the past, I've always exported the Summary to a .csv file so that I could perform this task in Excel.  With Segment PRO, it is done for you on demand without having to leave the software.

The Summary printout also shows you how many segments of each species are used in a row. You can also rearrange the columns as you wish.

There is a tutorial that shows not only the Summary page, but it also shows the Paint Page that lets you paint individual segments in a way never seen before in segmented software:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I've attached a screen capture of the Summary where I've optimized the board width and you can see where it has grouped all of the rows that have been optimzed to the same width.

Lloyd

Owner, Woodturner PRO, LLC

In my mind, all my tools are sharp.
WWW https://www.facebook.com/WoodturnerPro?ref=hl  
IP Logged

Mike Fisher

WR Rocks!

Reply #7 - Nov 24th, 2016 at 1:17pm

Thanks Lloyd for your description of the program.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #8 - Nov 24th, 2016 at 2:26pm

Thanks Lloyd.  It is looking good.  I will put it to the test over the next two weekends.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - Nov 24th, 2016 at 3:06pm

Deleted
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2016 at 3:10pm by Ed Weber »  

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #10 - Nov 25th, 2016 at 3:18pm

So, i'm assuming this is for Windows only? Cry

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Mike Fisher

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Nov 25th, 2016 at 5:54pm

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Nov 25th, 2016 at 3:18pm:
So, i'm assuming this is for Windows only? Cry

Yes, its written to run on windows pc's.
From the FAQ section of the WTP website.

"Segment Pro, Woodturner PRO, Lamination PRO and 3D Design PRO are all PC software applications that get downloaded and installed onto your local hard drive. All three programs can be installed on a Macintosh computer, but only in a PC partition (Boot Camp) or through PC emulation (also referred to as hardware virtualization). Both process described below:
Boot Camp is a multi-boot utility included with Apple Inc.'s Mac OS X that assists users in installing Microsoft Windows operating systems on Intel-based Macintosh computers. The utility's Boot Camp Assistant guides users through non-destructive disk partitioning (including resizing of an existing HFS+ partition, if necessary) of their hard disk drive and installation of Windows device drivers. The utility also installs a Windows Control Panel applet for selecting the boot operating system. Once this partition is created, you can install any of the supported Windows Operating Systems listed above afterwhich you can install our software.
HARDWARE VIRTUALIZATION Hardware virtualization refers to the creation of a virtual machine that acts like a real computer with an operating system. Software executed on these virtual machines is separated from the underlying hardware resources. Virtualization solutions such as Parallels (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register) create a Windows environment onto which you can install PC software and run without having to reboot your computer to a Windows disk partition. The Windows environment shares the Macintosh File System.

IP Logged

Robert Beaupre
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

Jet
Re: Segment Pro (from Lloyd Johnsonhttps://issuu.com/tanaba/docs
Reply #12 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 4:15pm

We have a couple of people on the Woodturner PRO forum running Segment Pro on Windows 10 on Parallels (Mac),  One just finished a bowl designed completely on Segment PRO
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2017 at 4:19pm by Robert Beaupre »  

IP Logged

ALLAN KUNTZ

WR Rocks!

gull lake, Saskatchewan, Canada
gull lake
Saskatchewan
Canada

Reply #13 - Jan 15th, 2017 at 9:55pm

does anyone have a link to the tutorials where you can expand the screen to full page. it is very hard to see what is being done
thank you
Al

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 1:11pm

If you click on the work "Vimeo" in the lower right corner of the video it will enlarge to nearly full screen.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print