Send Topic Print
Hello from Eastern PA. (Read 177 times)

Sal McAuley
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Shop Fox W1704
Hello from Eastern PA.
Dec 22nd, 2016 at 8:54pm

Hi all. I am a novice wood turner for about a year now. I come from a family of carpenters and decided to give wood turning a try. I didn't want to invest a ton of money into what I thought would be a hobby.

I'm a big DIY'er and seen people make the el'cheapo lathes from a corded drill. I decided to do the same and sure enough I turned bowls, tobacco pipes and other items using the drill setup. From there I realized I was hooked. I had to buy a lathe. I decided to start small on a mini lathe and eventually I'll move up. I like the mini because I can move it from my shop bench if I need more work space. I work out of my garage and the space is limited to move to a floor model right now. But the time is coming much quicker than I had anticipated.

Any rate I'm using a Shop Fox W1704 lathe at the moment. Turning small bowls, pens, wine stoppers, rings, some segmented items and now I'm getting big into the miniature bird house ornaments. One kick I was on for awhile were colored pencil items. I made a bowl, some finger rings and wine stoppers. They're a pain though....
My tools are limited right now so the pieces aren't "Perfect" but to me they are because I know what I'm working with.

So, I am looking very forward to skimming the forums, learning some tips and tricks and most of all aweing over some masterpieces I see so many are making.

Happy Holidays
Sal.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Hello from Eastern PA.
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 1:01pm

Belated welcome Sal, make yourself at home.
Where exactly in eastern PA are you at? I'm originally from that area.

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Re: Hello from Eastern PA.
Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 7:34pm

Sal, great to have you with us.  There are lots of friendly knowledgeable folks here to help you.  Join in and enjoy.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print