Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advice for a backpate adapter for a chuck I purchased? (Read 395 times)

Sal McAuley

WR Rocks!

Shop Fox W1704
Advice for a backpate adapter for a chuck I purchased?
Dec 22nd, 2016 at 9:09pm

Hi all,

Not sure if this is in the right topic area, but I was wondering if any pros out there might be able to point me in the right direction?

I have a Shop Fox W1704 mini lathe. The threads on post are 3/4 16tpi. I bought the lathe on Amazon and in the sale it shows "other items people purchased with this product" One item was a 3 jaw self centering chuck. It bolts to the back plate using three bolts in a triangle pattern so to speak. My issue is my back plate isn't drilled to match up with the chuck bolt pattern.

I am contemplating taking it to my neighbor since he's a machinist and seeing if he can drill my back plate with new located holes to match the chuck or should I buy an adapter plate? I reached out the vendor that sold the chuck to see if they could recommend a plate that matched their bolt pattern but they offered little help or guidance on what bolt pattern I would need.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting any links, but here is my lathe.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is the chuck.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I'm hoping that some pros can help offer some advice? Is there an adapter I could buy or a back plate you can recommend?

Thanks for your time. I pray I'm not stuck with this and can't use it. Ugh....

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Re: Advice for a backpate adapter for a chuck I purchased?
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 12:04am

Sal --  welcome.

The little chuck you purchased is made for a metal lathe.  Hate to tell you, but I find limited use for a metal lathe chuck on the wood lathes.

Back plates are used in the machinist trades to fit chucks to individual lathes and be able to get high orders of precision. 

Wood lathes generally run with four jaw scroll chucks which adapt to lathes with threaded inserts.  The scroll chucks have more loose precision appropriate to work with wood.

Amazon has good return policies, and this would be a good time to use them.  I expect if you talk to the machinist down the street he will tell you the same advise.

(I use a little metal lathe with the same size threads and a chuck with similar jaws.  Have not found a use on the wood lathe so far.)

IP Logged

Sal McAuley

WR Rocks!

Shop Fox W1704
Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 5:52am

Thanks! Sadly I bought it in May so I doubt they'd allow me to return. Bummer.

Appreciate the info.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 11:00am

I just did a google search and found this:

Grizzly H6264 - 4 Jaw Wood Chuck 3/4" x 16 TPI for around $120.

Chalk the first chuck purchase up to the cost of gaining experience and buy this chuck that will fit your lathe and is meant to hold wood. Smiley

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 12:37pm

Sal, maybe you could sell your small chuck to your machinist neighbor..
Ralph Fahringer wrote on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 11:00am:
I just did a google search and found this:

Grizzly H6264 - 4 Jaw Wood Chuck 3/4" x 16 TPI for around $120.

Grizzly's chucks are "knock-offs" of Vicmarc chucks.
The one Ralph posted is equivalent to the VM100.
I have two of these chucks and IMO they are better than a Teknatool Nova G3. They are less expensive, they have greater jaw travel and they are fully enclosed (pinion and back)

IP Logged

Sal McAuley

WR Rocks!

Shop Fox W1704
Reply #5 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 8:09pm

Sorry for the late reply. My neighbor worked on it today and I was amazed how he did it. He got it dead center on the back plate! The gauges and trig he did blew me away! Pure talent right there! For now it works perfectly. No wobble no vibration and my center lines right up to it dead center.

This will hold me over for a few weeks but thanks for the link! I'll check that chuck out next Thumbs Up

The grizzly chuck is exactly what I want and for $120 that's insane! Thanks again
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2016 at 8:22pm by Sal McAuley »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print