Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Craftsman Tools
Jan 6th, 2017 at 9:11am

Sears is planning on selling it's Craftsman line of tools to Stanley/Black & Decker.
I'm not sure what this will mean for the tools but Sears is most likely done for.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Re: Craftsman Tools
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 9:41am

...to preserve the "quality" of the Craftsman name!! Shocked Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Steve Arnold

WR Rocks!

Burbank, California, USA
Burbank
California
USA

Jet 1640EVS
Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 11:26am

Ed Weber wrote on Jan 6th, 2017 at 9:11am:
Sears is planning on selling it's Craftsman line of tools to Stanley/Black & Decker.
I'm not sure what this will mean for the tools but Sears is most likely done for.

Wow, that is shocking news to me. Sears has been selling Craftsman tools since the 20s. I'm wondering if the Craftsman brand will be done away with too.

With the announcement of Macy's closing of 68 of their stores and now Sears seemingly headed down the same road, Amazon's online shopping is changing the landscape of retail. I read recently that shopping malls aren't doing too well either because so many people are making their purchases online and having the items shipped to them.

« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2017 at 11:33am by Steve Arnold »  

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 12:00pm

Steve Arnold wrote on Jan 6th, 2017 at 11:26am:
I read recently that shopping malls aren't doing too well either because so many people are making their purchases online and having the items shipped to them.

I've heard the same thing.
I've been shopping online for many years, I'm not big on malls.
Many years ago Sears did away with their iconic catalog and stumbled a bit, I'm not sure if they ever really recovered from it. Years of mismanagement is all but impossible to undo. Selling you most recognized name brand may save them in the short term but most likely doom them in the long run. Next to go will probably be the Kenmore brand, many of which are already LG.

I'm guessing that Stanley will try to keep the name and give it it's own line of tools like "Craftsman by Stanley" or something. I hope they don't neuter it like they did with Black & Decker.

IP Logged

Steve Arnold

WR Rocks!

Burbank, California, USA
Burbank
California
USA

Jet 1640EVS
Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 12:17pm

Ed Weber wrote on Jan 6th, 2017 at 12:00pm:
I'm guessing that Stanley will try to keep the name and give it it's own line of tools like "Craftsman by Stanley" or something.

Regardless of what Stanley does with the name, I doubt that they will continue to manufacture Craftsman hand tools in the U.S., and American workers will pay the price, yet again.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 12:59pm

Years ago, K Mart bought out Sears as neither of them were going anywhere.

When that happened, i thought that it was only  a matter of time before they BOTH went under as they were BOTH poor quality.

Craftsman tools USED to be considered close to top quality with a full return policy like Snap On has.

Long time ago, i had a ratchet that had gone bad and took it back in for a replacement and they gave me a repair kit and told me to fix it myself. No more replacing the tool.

That was when I knew they had gone down hill in quality.

I can take any of my Snap On tools up to one of their trucks and get a replacement if it is worn out or broken, no questions asked. Thumbs Up

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 1:55pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

from Business Insider 1/4/2017

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 2:18pm

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Jan 6th, 2017 at 12:59pm:
I can take any of my Snap On tools up to one of their trucks and get a replacement if it is worn out or broken, no questions asked. Thumbs Up

The "quality" of Craftsman tools is also inconsistent, as they change suppliers far too often for me.

A few months back I got some Snap-On tools replaced (online/email) that I had bought over 20 years ago.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Steve Arnold

WR Rocks!

Burbank, California, USA
Burbank
California
USA

Jet 1640EVS
Reply #8 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 2:41pm

David Hamann wrote on Jan 6th, 2017 at 1:55pm:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

from Business Insider 1/4/2017

Yes, it boils down to 108 K-Mart stores and 42 Sears locations...for now.

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 8:07pm

Indications are that Sears and Kmart will both be out of business in the next 12~15 months.

I quit using Craftsman power tools in the late 70's.

My all time favorite Craftsman was the 25' tape measure with the lifetime warranty. We used to gather them up on a job site and one person would go to the mall and trade them in for new ones. Then Monday morning hand out new tapes to all that turned them in.

I still have one of the lifetime yellow 25' tapes. Took it to the mall a couple of weekends ago to trade it in because of a worn out locking mechanism. Guy at the counter offered to give me a Stanley and said there were no more Craftsman tapes at Sears.  Cry

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #10 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 9:49pm

try Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register for Craftsman tools.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

IP Logged

Joe Penn
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Canton, Georgia, USA
Canton
Georgia
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #11 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 10:53pm

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Jan 6th, 2017 at 12:59pm:
Long time ago, i had a ratchet that had gone bad and took it back in for a replacement and they gave me a repair kit and told me to fix it myself. No more replacing the tool.

Same thing happened to me. I argued with the guy since that wasn't the warranty when I bought the rachet and he gave me another one. I haven't bought a Craftsman tool since.

If I need a hand tool I buy Rigid (Home Depot) tools. They claim to have a lifetime warranty and I haven't needed to use it, but I doubt it will work the way the Sears warranty used to.

Neither famous, nor infamous.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #12 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 12:03am

Joe Penn wrote on Jan 6th, 2017 at 10:53pm:
If I need a hand tool I buy Rigid (Home Depot) tools. They claim to have a lifetime warranty and I haven't needed to use it, but I doubt it will work the way the Sears warranty used to.

i used to work at Lowe's and their Kobalt tools have the lifetime warranty and we honored that warranty, no questions. if we did not have the exact same tool, we gave them as close as possible, even if better. had a socket warranty, if you break or lose, they replace. that one you had to go through a 800 number, but you had a new socket in days.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2017 at 12:04am by David Hamann »  

IP Logged

Joe Penn
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Canton, Georgia, USA
Canton
Georgia
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #13 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 9:18am

David Hamann wrote on Jan 7th, 2017 at 12:03am:
Joe Penn wrote on Jan 6th, 2017 at 10:53pm:

i used to work at Lowe's and their Kobalt tools have the lifetime warranty and we honored that warranty, no questions. if we did not have the exact same tool, we gave them as close as possible, even if better. had a socket warranty, if you break or lose, they replace. that one you had to go through a 800 number, but you had a new socket in days.

That's nice to know. And in my area (metro Atlanta) usually Home Depot and Lowe's are within sight of each other.

Thanks

Neither famous, nor infamous.

IP Logged

Andrew Arndts
WR Noob

South Central MI, Michigan, USA
South Central MI
Michigan
USA

Reply #14 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 8:18pm

Being a former Sears Employee, Sears has been dead ever since they were purchased by Kmart (which begs the thought of; how in the blazes could a company that filed for bankruptcy purchase Sears months later.)
Pardon me I digress... long prior to that, they were devaluing their stock as I watched my fellow employees grumble about their once profitable shares fall in value from something they could have an easy retirement to maybe survive a year without heart meds. This was back in 2002.
Today with the internet gaining record sales, as the past 5 years "Black Friday" hasn't been so black as "Cyber Monday."
All in all, if you are looking for tools, inexpensive, the Big Blue or Orange Box, let alone harbor freight.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print