Learn to turn...

Sheffield, England
Sheffield
England

Draper wtl90
Hello from the UK
Jan 30th, 2017 at 12:52am

Hi all,

I'm just starting to dip my toe into the world of turning, via carving. I have a Draper WTL90, which I picked up for a good price about a month ago. Alas it's poorly at the moment, with a nasty case of humming motor! So far I've changed capacitor and switch with no luck...also a little persuasion with a mallet  Cheesy. Next plan is to potentially replace the motor, and maybe upgrade it a little...or if that's too costly I may have to look at another machine...hoped already!!!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone and picking your brains along the way.

Jamie

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Hello from the UK
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 9:14am

Welcome Jamie

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 2:32pm

Jamie, welcome.  Make yourself at home.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 6:42pm

Jamie

Welcome.  It has been awhile since I was over the big pond to England and Ireland with the Air Force.  There are a lot of swell clubs over there and hope you can find one.  If not let me know where you live and maybe I can find a chap for you or at least put you in contact with someone who can.

On the humming check the bearings also.  One other thing is that it is a Reeves Drive which means two pulleys come together to force the belt higher on the pulley or lower so that maybe some of the noise also.

A lot of good blokes here and you will enjoy what they do and say.  I have not figured out how to post pictures here yet and maybe you can.

Cheers
Arlin

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 7:21pm

Jamie Brammer wrote on Jan 30th, 2017 at 12:52am:
Alas it's poorly at the moment, with a nasty case of humming motor! So far I've changed capacitor and switch with no luck...also a little persuasion with a mallet  Cheesy.

Jamie, Many members have (essentially) the same lathe, I'm one of them.
I had the humming, no running syndrome myself. Like you I changed the start capacitor, that did fix my issue. I would suggest that the least expensive route would be to, first make sure the motor spins freely by hand and then try another capacitor. It's not that uncommon to get a bad one. Just leave the mallet in the drawer.

If that doesn't fix it then it's up to you and your wallet. you can put money into this lathe or, if you're serious about turning, put money toward a better one.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print