• Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Booth Display Update (Read 464 times)

Steve Doerr
WR Champion

Wood is one of God's hidden /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Booth Display Update
Feb 12th, 2017 at 8:58pm

In Sept I posted an update on the progress of my art fair booth setup.  As I said in that post, the booth process is always a process of improvements and refinement.  Well, I have made some major changes.  For most of the, what I will call Tier I air fairs, the jurors and fair organizers are looking for booths that are gallery like in appearance.  So, with these revisions, that was my goal.  I've included pictures of our progress over the years.  The last picture is our most current "update."

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Glenn lefley

Wish I was turning right
now.

Windermere, British Columbia, Canada
Windermere
British Columbia
Canada

Oneway 2036
Re: Booth Display Update
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 11:20pm

Wow your work is awesome what type of wood is a lot of your large live edge work.?

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Champion

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 10:09am

Glenn, we use a lot of different woods for our natural edge bowls.  Currently we have chestnut, oak, cherry burl, maple (some spalted), hackberry and sycamore.

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 10:20am

Great steps of improvement Steve.  On the shelves you have using the slatted doors, how long are they? And did you use one by lumber or plywood?  THanks.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 10:38am

Obviously you have focused significantly and successfully on the display.  You might explain what the walls are in your fourth picture, and how the shelves are supported.  At the premier shows (juried, high entry fee) entrants will constantly have to compare their displays against others and upgrade as necessary.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Champion

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 2:44pm

Bill--the long shelves are 1x12x6' and the sort shelves are 1x12x3'.  There are "craft" lumber from the big box (glued up pine so that I had straight un-warped boards).  On plywood you would need to trim them out with either a banding material or put wood trim pieces on all four sides.

Don--the panels I built out of 2x4's and 1/8" paneling.  They are 78" from the ground to the top and the legs are 4" high.  I have two panels that are 40" wide and 6 panels that are 30" wide.  The width was determined by what would fit in the back of the truck and how I wanted the two built walls to fit in the booth.  I attache the panels with nuts and bolts going thru the 2x4 sides of the panels. We bought indoor/outdoor carpet from the big box for 45 cents a sq ft.  The brackets for each shelves are removable to help with transportation.  I have a piece of 2x4 attached to the backside of the paneling to help support the bolt used to secure the bracket.  The brackets were drilled to accept a 3/8" inset.  The metal insert provides a solid connection each assembly, since the wood would not hold up to continued assemble and dissassembly with a bolt.

Hope that answers your questions Bill and Don and appreciate your comments.

IP Logged

Gary D Baker

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 7:40pm

Steve ... A really great presentation of some outstanding work.  Not only pretty ... but presented to sell.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Champion

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 5:45pm

Thanks Gary, appreciate you comment.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 12:57pm

Love the progress!! I also like the neutral, mid gray tones. Makes the pieces stand out more than the white.
I also like the groupings of pieces on little stands to use the space better than just laying everything out.

As for the walls, you could have used 1x 4's or even 3/4 plywood strips to make the basic frame and then skin with 1/4" Luan and whatever over that.

I'm thinking about how heavy those panels are. In the exhibits we used the 1x or the 3/4 ply cut to 4" for less weight. Agree with adding stiffners to the back wherever you need to attach shelves.

You could use threaded studs in the  back of the shelve brackets and they slip thru holes in the walls and then wingnuts with large washers to hold tight.

Adding what are called strongbacks to the tops of the panels when assembling keeps the whole walls straight and tight as well as the bolts and wing nuts along the sides.

Sorry... just couldn't help adding my 2¢  Grin
Looks great!! Hopes it sells for you.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Champion

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 10:45am

Ralph, thanks for the complements on the progress of the booth.  Can't say all of the changes were generated on my own, had some nudges from some art festival directors that really helped out. 

The first set of panels that I built I used 2x2's and 1/4" plywood.  This proved not to be substantial enough and the 2x2's were not as straight as I needed, so when put together the panels had a nice wave effect and were not completely vertical.  Thus, the reason I went with 2x4's.  Yes, they are a little heavier, but still quite manageable.  One of the reasons I went with the threaded inserts was for purposes of packing.  If I had the threaded studs in the shelf brackets they would not be as easy to pack.  The chance of the metal studs marring up the brackets would be quite high.

Appreciate you thoughts and input.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Supporter

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #10 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 2:58pm

Uh...wow, and here I thought I was doing well this year by making some risers with fixed/stapled felt.  Really nice job Steve...well done!

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print