Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Some early embellishment projects (Read 1,095 times)

Steve Bistritz
WR Supporter

Harrington Park, New Jersey, USA
Harrington Park
New Jersey
USA

Re: Some early embellishment projects
Reply #15 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 10:24am

Its hard to see from the photo...is this similar to your third hand? (except the huge bare part of the wire) Thanks!

So many interests,so little time.........

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #16 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 11:20am

That is similar however I use some small wood pieces to make a knuckle joint(tee nuts and all thread) and then used 1/2" dowel friction fit in a hole on the end piece to allow for rotating. Then I drill the probe hole across the end of the dowel. I use a small alligator clip to attach to the probe. The probe is just a straight piece of hardened copper wire (twisted solid strand with a drill) slightly sharpened on one end. With knuckle and swivel I can place the probe on any shape easily and then clip the leads to the copper probe. In the picture I posted on a previous thread you can see the wood knuckle and dowel with probe. I also use rubber bands sometimes to help hold things in place, it doesn't take much, gravity is your friend most times.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2017 at 11:25am by Bert Delisle »  

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #17 - May 3rd, 2017 at 8:16am

I had the opportunity to do a demonstration of Lichtenburg Pyrography at our local guild May meeting. The response from the group was very rewarding. The focus was primarily on identifying the hazards and demonstrating how I protect myself. We had three systems available so that folks could see the differences. The hazards of each were slightly different as the transformers by different manufacturers are slightly different. Then we got to the fun stuff and burned a few projects. A couple of members brought projects to burn. Great time had by all with lots of group engagement and questions.  No one fell asleep during this demo, a camera and overhead projector used made easy for every one to see the action.
We tested burning through a very thin bowl on purpose, it was a first for me and it worked very well. We tried putting solution on both inside and outside of the thin bowl, a great experiment that has much potential.
Lots of interest in this technique and doing it safely is paramount, my demonstration was motivated by a desire to help identify some hazards and encourage folks wanting use it to never handle any energized leads, Safety first. Our club now has at least five members with systems that incorporate safety switches, those who are not interested in making a system but would like a project embellished can ask for assistance from one of the members who have one.
Remember stay safe and have fun turning and burning the wood.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print