Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wax or Shellac on Utility Bowls (Read 328 times)

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Wax or Shellac on Utility Bowls
Feb 26th, 2017 at 10:46am

If a utility bowl is one that will be often washed with a soft sponge and mild dish soap, I'm wondering how long a coat of wax maintains a uniform look?  It could be an applied wax finish like beeswax or carnauba, one of the name brands like EEE Ultrashine, or a wax residue from using the Beall buff or similar equipment.  I understand that EEE Ultrashine contains a fine abrasive and used as a final abrasive, but it still is leaving a wax coating on the surface.

Similarly, Shellawax and friction polish are products occasionally mentioned for final polishing of a bowl.  My understanding is that the first contains both shellac and wax, and that both shellac and wax are relatively more prone to wear and water spotting; and the latter shellac and linseed oil which also are more prone to wear and water spotting.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Re: Wax or Shellac on Utility Bowls
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 11:07am

For my utility bowls that get washed a lot I use Claphams Salad Bowl finish. It is just a mix of bee'swax and mineral oil, it can had easily in my area and is available on line as well. It does a good job of protecting the bowl and is easy for end user to restore the finish after many washes. New bowls need more re-coats but it takes only minutes with paper towel to apply after bowl has dried. Over time the oil and wax permeate deeper into the wood and result in longer periods between needing to be refreshed. Food safe and easy maintenance. MTCW.
There is a "new to woodturners" finish that I had tried only on platters so far, Osmo Top Oil, and / or Polyx Oil, it is supposed to be impervious to water and alcohol if applied as per manufactures instruction. Application is quite a bit different than conventional coatings, it is not a film building finish. Expensive at first glance but a little goes a long long way.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 12:41pm

Don, if this is to washed (submerged into water) I would stay away from any "quick fix" finish, like friction polishes and the others you mentioned. You really want something to penetrate and protect the wood, not just a top-coat or polish.
A quality salad bowl finish will last much longer without constant maintenance.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Bert mentioned
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Has a wide range of products. (good quality IMO)

Like the OSMO Bert mentioned, there are many new products available these days that may be worth a look.
Here are some examples.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register just to name a few.
There are ever increasing limits on the ingredients that are allowed to be incorporated into finishing products for, reasons like health and environmental concerns.
I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing more of these products, while the older (high VOC) products become less and less available.

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 3:01pm

Bowls offer the woodturner a challlenge when it come to finish.  You don't know how a bowl will be used once it leaves your shop.  If the wood is "fancy" I tend to use something like Antique Oil.  This takes several coats and more time.   Plane bowls or unfigured wood I tend to use something like walnut oil so the bowl can be used for most anything.  Your EEE and Ultrashine I only use on small  items like ornaments or boxes.

IP Logged

Mike Nathal
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 10:00am

I have a big maple salad bowl that I finished with walnut oil followed by Beall buffing (including the carnauba wax).  The wax finish disappeared after a few washings but I have not felt the need to replenish the walnut oil even after  3-4 years of use.  The bowl now has a matte finish, and seems to be holding up well.  I also have a travel mug with a steel insert, the external wood surface has a Wipe-on poly finish.  After 5 years of use, hand washing and drip drying, and dropping it onto a concrete driveway twice, the poly still looks shiny.  The bottom surface is scuffed but the  rest still looks good.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print