WR Rocks!

Whitefield, New Hampshire, USA
Whitefield
New Hampshire
USA

Jet 1014
I want to make lamps!
Mar 2nd, 2017 at 12:44am

Ok guys when I finally get my big lathe I really want to start turning some lamps but finding the wood to do it is the hard part. Where will I go to find some dry walnut big enough to make a lamp out of? (doesn't necessarily have to be walnut either) but as long as it is kiln dried.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: I want to make lamps!
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 7:34am

Cameron, you most likely will have to do a glue up to get to the size you need if you want dry.

Of course you can do a hollow form with green wood then any log will do.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 7:59am

Cameron

You're pretty far away from civilization, but I suspect that there are a few timber dealers in your area who sell walnut and other domestic woods.

But if you are willing to drive a bit - I've bought walnut scraps from Vermont Bowl Company in Wilmington (west of Brattleboro).  They are small, but the can be glued up to make larger blanks.

Another option for both domestic and exotic timber is Berkshire Lumber in Sheffield, MA (on the Connecticut border south of Great Barrington).
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2017 at 8:43am by Louie Powell »  

Louie

IP Logged

Steve Kniffen

WR Rocks!

Clyde, Texas, USA
Clyde
Texas
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 8:38am

I've done one lamp.  My mother wanted one out of Canary wood.  I had to buy a board, face it, and glue it up.  Let it sit for 3 days to make sure all the glue (Titebond II) was dry.  Turned beautifully.  I do recommend that if you're doing glue up you leave a gap in the center board for the lamp fittings so you don't have to drill one later.  Get some big clamps and go for it.

Experience is what teaches us that we've made this mistake before ...

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 11:32am

Cameron Baxter wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 12:44am:
I really want to start turning some lamps but finding the wood to do it is the hard part. Where will I go to find some dry walnut big enough to make a lamp out of?

What size blanks are you looking for?

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 1:17pm

How about this??

It already has a hole in the middle for the wiring!!!
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2017 at 1:18pm by Ralph Fahringer »  

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Ron Rutter

WR Rocks!

Port Alberni BC, British Columbia, Canada
Port Alberni BC
British Columbia
Canada

general 25m1 200
Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 12:57am

Cameron. If you do some research you may find plans for making up lamp blanks out of a variety of woods, giving you some fancy shapes & forms on the finished surface.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 1:14pm

Where you're at, go to any sawmill. won't be dry but can get the diameter and length you want. Build your own kiln.

Glenn J. (X  Vermonter)

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Bill Moschler

WR Rocks!

Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Knoxville
Tennessee
USA

Nova
Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 3:11pm

You might find sone nominal 4x4 mahogany or redwood at a local lumber store.  Some areas have stores that cater to woodworkers and they carry 4x4 dry stock for table legs.  There is a good store in near Knoxville TN if you are in this area.  On line you can sometimes find heavy stock.  At different times the store here has ash, maple, walnut and sometimes other species in the 4x4.  Ash is a good choice if you can use a light colored wood because it dries fast and they cut a lot of baseball bat blanks.    Another source for interesting large pieces of wood might be a salvage yard.  Thick pieces of walnut and oak are pretty expensive because of the very long time to dry them.  You do not see a lot of kiln dried 4 inch thick walnut for sale.  In the long run finding or building a supply of wood is the biggest investment of money, time, and space in turning.
While actual kiln dried stock is vital to most woodworking, turning is the one area where you can get buy with air dried or green stock if you go to some extra efforts and have some time for it to dry.  Sawmills sometimes cut thick stock for mantels.  Log home companies sometimes have thick stock.  I used to be able to find wood reasonably easily in our area but one side effect of the furniture industry in this area closing up is that the wood supply for it no longer exists. There are no more turning mills for legs and lamps and things so thee is no wood supply being cut  for them.
If you can find a local person wiho cuts wood with a Woodmizer or similar setup that is one way to get wood cut to the sizes you need.  Then air dry it and learn to work with it that way.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2017 at 3:36pm by Bill Moschler »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print