Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Are We Turners Crazy?
Mar 6th, 2017 at 7:13am

Think about it,

We spend hours sticking sharp pointy objects into fast spinning wood, and we think its fun.
We see a downed tree or log on the side of the road and we spin our head faster then if it was an attractive person of the opposite gender. And if its really nice we get excited.
We track sawdust and wood chips into to the house and we think its normal.

Whenever I go someplace with friends or family I always take notice of the wood and comment on the species and the quality of the workmanship. A couple of years back my daughter sent my this meme and I told her I have that book and its pretty good. She's been calling me a woodnerd since

QOTW: Can you remember what people said to you, or about you as a turner, that sounded rude, but was, in your ear, more a compliment than an insult? Or maybe something you did that struck others as funny and you thought it was perfectly normal?

===

Whenever I go someplace with friends or family I always take notice of the wood and comment on the species and the quality of the workmanship. A couple of years back my daughter sent my this meme and I told her I have that book and its pretty good. She's been calling me a woodnerd since

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Are We Turners Crazy?
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 9:53am

So, I guess all you guys/gals have all become shy all of the sudden.  Undecided
No one here has ever though,"I know they'll think I'm crazy but", I find that hard to believe.

Ron Sardo wrote on Mar 6th, 2017 at 7:13am:
QOTW: Can you remember what people said to you, or about you as a turner, that sounded rude, but was, in your ear, more a compliment than an insult? Or maybe something you did that struck others as funny and you thought it was perfectly normal?

Asking for trash,
A couple of years ago, I moved into a new neighborhood. One day I struck up a conversation with one of my neighbors and long story short, I said if you're just going to take it to the dump, I'll take it. I could tell by the look on his face that he thought I was insane. I got this look like, Okay, this guy wants my trash. Huh Then, to make things worse, I said I'd make him something out of it. I don't know what he was thinking at this point but he said "sure, great", still with the same unsure look on his face.
Later that day I received a couple of wet, nasty, poplar logs and said with a smile, thanks. My neighbor still had that "there goes the neighborhood, this guy is nuts" look on his face.
As you know, most peoples idea of making something out of wood starts by going to the box store and buying lumber.

Many months later, I stopped by his house at Christmas time and gave him what I made for him. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register He had mentioned in our earlier conversation that he was clearing out the property where he had lived for 25 years or so.
So, wrapping things up, the look on his face was priceless, just astonishment, his wife could barely speak and I was happy, after all, I got free wood.
I also have the feeling that he'll never look at a log or piece of discarded wood the same ever again.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 1:45pm

not often, but it has happened to me. I give a piece to someone and the first words out their mouth after looking it over is "what is it?"  Embarrassed this happens most often with candy/nut dishes. to avoid this from happening, i now give a piece with some candy in it.  Cool

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 1:35pm

My brother-in-law runs a sawmill. Last time we were together, we were looking at a log his comment was how many board feet was in it and my reply was how many bowls I could get out of it. He just did not grasp that concept.

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Cliff De Witt
WR Addict

DeSoto, TX, Texas, USA
DeSoto, TX
Texas
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 11:13pm

David Hamann wrote on Mar 7th, 2017 at 1:45pm:
not often, but it has happened to me. I give a piece to someone and the first words out their mouth after looking it over is "what is it?"  Embarrassed this happens most often with candy/nut dishes. to avoid this from happening, i now give a piece with some candy in it.  Cool

l did this with my sister and she put the candy in a crystal bowl and threw out that "cheep" wooden one. 

One of my biggest fears is that my widow will sell all my toys based on what I told her I paid for them.

Matthew 25:45

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 12:31am

Cliff De Witt wrote on Mar 8th, 2017 at 11:13pm:
threw out that "cheep" wooden one

ouch!!!

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Brad Barnhart

Sawdust Haven Woodworking

St. Francis, Kansas, USA
St. Francis, Kansas
USA

Harbor Freight 12" x 33 5/8"
67" home built lathe
BM-26 Hawk scroll saw
CW-40 Hitachi Scroll Saw
16" Craftsman Scroll saw
12"DeWalt Radial arm saw
8" Craftsman Tablesaw
Reply #6 - May 29th, 2017 at 11:16pm

I get that same look with a lot of my scroll work. When I make a bowl or two of an odd design, the first thing folks say is what's it for? Same with some of the designs I create. I cut my own feathers for the dream catchers I make. After the glue up & they've been thru the planer, the feather blanks are about 3/16" thick. I also do the bead work & tie the feathers into the thongs. Folks look at the feathers & always ask if they're real. It's surprising at what folks see we do with wood, & it's more fun to watch their wheels turns when they see it.
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2017 at 11:19pm by Brad Barnhart »  

Sawdust703
Brad Barnhart/Sawdust Haven  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print