Ireland

Draper WTL12
Re: face sheilds
Reply #30 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 6:22pm

Ed Weber wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:28pm:
Michael Maye wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:19pm:
I assume that's the impact rating?

That's the confusing part.
Yes your is "high" impact rated indicated by the plus.
Without the plus sign it has an impact rating (not high) but did not pass the high impact test.
You can do a google search for this sort of thing but the ANSI high impact rating (+) states something like it will withstand a 1/4" steel ball moving at 150 feet per second.

Somehow I don't want to test that out  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Thanks for the info.

Trying my hand at some off centre turning at the moment, feel a little safer knowing this!

<a href="Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register">View my Gaelic Football Photos</a>
WWW MayoMicksPhotoBlog/  
IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #31 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 7:54pm

Here are the specs for the drop test.

The standard uses a 1" steel ball dropped from 50"
The + uses a 17.6 oz pointed projectile dropped from the same 50".

The standard must pass NO velocity test.
The + must withstand a 1/4" steel ball at roughly 100 mph.

"High Mass Impact Test
A TestResources Pointed Projectile Test Machine which drops a special weighted and pointed projectile, weighing 500grams (17.6 oz). The test machine has an adjustable dropping height for the recommended 127 cm (50 inch) drop. This is useful to adjust for future testing needs as well. The projectile is guided precisely within a plastic tube.

Drop Ball Impact Test
This test can be performed with the same Drop Test machine at the recommended test height of 127 cm (50 inch). The fixture suspends the ASNI Z87.1 1 inch (25.4mm) diameter steel ball with a magnetic hold, released with a touch of a button."
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2017 at 7:54pm by Mike Mills »  

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #32 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 8:35pm

Mike Mills wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 7:54pm:
The + must withstand a 1/4" steel ball at roughly 100 mph.

JMO
Some perspective
To have something come at you from your lathe at 100mph, you would need to be spinning a 10" diameter bowl at over 3300RPM and have that same 1/4" piece fly off the outer diameter.
And if the 10" bowl itself, with all it's mass comes at you at 100mph, it doesn't matter what you're wearing to protect your face.
That's not high velocity impact, that's blunt force trauma.
I don't worry about the +

IP Logged

Brian Lucas
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Butler, Wisconsin, USA
Butler
Wisconsin
USA

12/x16 Rikon
Reply #33 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 12:31pm

New to turning and use a UVEX like mask, but I have seriously considered using my extra Baseball Umpire Mask (hobby that funds my turning) with wrap around googles .  Twice I have had bowls come off the lathe after reversing them (broke off foot, apparently slightly punky wood was not as stable as I thought).  It has to more protection than the piece of plastic in front of my face.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #34 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 4:50pm

Face shields are PPE, and as such are the last line of defence, after staying out of the line of fire, inspection of project pieces for flaws and soundness. PPE is not intended to replace use of the grey matter between the ears. Woodturners have turned safely for hundreds of years without PPE, life is too short to turn bad wood. JMHO

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #35 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 5:35pm

Bert Delisle wrote on Mar 31st, 2017 at 4:50pm:
Face shields are PPE, and as such are the last line of defence, after staying out of the line of fire, inspection of project pieces for flaws and soundness. PPE is not intended to replace use of the grey matter between the ears. Woodturners have turned safely for hundreds of years without PPE, life is too short to turn bad wood. JMHO

Bert, again well said.

If you do turn "suspect" wood on occasion, be careful. Stop the lathe from time to time and check to see if it's still securely mounted. Turn at a lower/slower speed if possible. Change the way the piece is mounted to the lathe.
There are far too many stories floating around out there about pieces flying off the lathe, we don't need anymore.
Turn safely

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print