face sheilds (Read 1,452 times)

george nixon
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

hobby series 1218vs
face sheilds
Mar 6th, 2017 at 11:27am

hi all
can anyone recamend a good face sheild and where i can buy one new to turning know nothing

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: face sheilds
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 11:40am

Are you looking for a standard face shield? Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Or are you looking for a face shield/respirator combination. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

george nixon
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

hobby series 1218vs
Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 1:18pm

just a good standaed one

IP Logged

Matt Perrult
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

JET
Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 1:28pm

Uvex
Uvex Bionic Face Shield with Clear Polycarbonate Visor and Anti-fog Hard Coat

Light weight and comfortable for the money. I bought this and liked it.

IP Logged

george nixon
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

hobby series 1218vs
Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 1:39pm

thanks matt

IP Logged

Bob Mezzatesta

WR Rocks!

McDonald's corners, Ontario, Canada
McDonald's corners
Ontario
Canada

Delta 1460 w/1hp 3ph &Vfd
Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 4:41pm

I have a UVEX too and wish I was wearing it when that 12" bowl came off and hit me in the face. I wear it all the time now.

Member Valley Woodturners Ottawa
Member AAW

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #6 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 6:39pm

I have the Uvex and it works well with the mask I use.  Have noticed that Harbor Freight now has a nice thick face shield & for the price is good.  It's not the chintzy sheet plastic one--comes in a box--less than $20, impact rated same as Uvex---and I have been using that too.
For the woods that I have issues with or prolonged sanding--have Trend for that.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2017 at 6:40pm by David Hill »  

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #7 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 7:54pm

Look for Z87.1+ or Z87+ stamped on the faceshield to indicate that it passes the newer high impact standard.

IP Logged

Steve Kniffen

WR Rocks!

Clyde, Texas, USA
Clyde
Texas
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 7:37am

Please keep in mind that a face shield is designed to protect you against small flying chips and such, not against a 12" bowl coming off the lathe.  It will help reduce the damage, but that's not its job.  Airshield has added a warning to their website that the face shield is not a helmet and not designed for protection from large chunks.

Lynne Yamaguchi, who was severely injured when a bowl came off her lathe has started wearing a police riot helmet with face shield when she turns big bowls.  She also put the guard back on her lathe.  It IS designed to stop the 12" bowl.

Experience is what teaches us that we've made this mistake before ...

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Devotee

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 9:08am

Steve Kniffen wrote on Mar 7th, 2017 at 7:37am:
Please keep in mind that a face shield is designed to protect you against small flying chips and such, not against a 12" bowl coming off the lathe. 

Very good point!  A face shield provides some protection, but it's still possible for a turner to get hurt very badly.

The act of putting on a face shield should serve as a reminder that ultimately, each turner is responsible for his own safety, and even with a shield, it can be really dangerous to do dumb things.

Louie

IP Logged

Michael Maye

Swinford, Ireland
Swinford
Ireland

Draper WTL12
Reply #10 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 2:17pm

george nixon wrote on Mar 6th, 2017 at 11:27am:
hi all
can anyone recamend a good face sheild and where i can buy one new to turning know nothing

I've been using a simple and cheap faceshield, cost about €20/$25. Saved me on a few occasions from flying knots at high speed  Shocked I used to use goggles, but can't now due to me needing glass's. Find the shield great, comfortable but does fog up a little sometimes.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

<a href="Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register">View my Gaelic Football Photos</a>
WWW MayoMicksPhotoBlog/  
IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #11 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 4:14pm

Let me tag on this thread and put a request out there.

Our "branch" of AAW now requires the demonstrator and all students and teachers to wear face shields.  I record (video and audio) the monthly demonstrations for the club.  These have become a video library that members can access.

The audio with wrap-around plastic visors in place is poor.  I have the demonstrator wear a wireless microphone, however the face shield reflects the sound around so much.. well, it sounds like we are using two cans and a string to listen through... Huh

Is there a face shield out there that offers eye protection and face protection without the plastic? Cool  I am thinking something like a catchers mask that will accommodate safety glasses.  Anyone seen a product like that??? Sad

Oh, it would be nice if it was less than $50... Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2017 at 4:15pm by Tom Coghill »  

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Devotee

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #12 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 4:38pm

Tom Coghill wrote on Mar 7th, 2017 at 4:14pm:
Is there a face shield out there that offers eye protection and face protection without the plastic? Cool  I am thinking something like a catchers mask that will accommodate safety glasses.  Anyone seen a product like that??? Sad

Harbor Freight has a face mask with a wire mesh shield instead of the solid plastic.  That might be what you need - - -

Louie

IP Logged

Michael Maye

Swinford, Ireland
Swinford
Ireland

Draper WTL12
Reply #13 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 5:23pm

Tom Coghill wrote on Mar 7th, 2017 at 4:14pm:
Let me tag on this thread and put a request out there.

Our "branch" of AAW now requires the demonstrator and all students and teachers to wear face shields.  I record (video and audio) the monthly demonstrations for the club.  These have become a video library that members can access.

The audio with wrap-around plastic visors in place is poor.  I have the demonstrator wear a wireless microphone, however the face shield reflects the sound around so much.. well, it sounds like we are using two cans and a string to listen through... Huh

I use one like that, mesh instead of the plastic visor, for when I'm strimming/brush cutting.

Something like this;

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

<a href="Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register">View my Gaelic Football Photos</a>
WWW MayoMicksPhotoBlog/  
IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #14 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 6:45pm

I use one like that, and it works well for chainsaw work which is what is is designed for. It will flex if hit with a lump, DAMHIKT, but it deflects shavings great. I don't use at the lathe though, face shield or my as400 shield and helmet.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register [/quote]
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2017 at 6:51pm by Bert Delisle »  

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #15 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 7:04pm

Hard to imagine how a screen could meet the standards for the high impact standard.  Wonderful if one does.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #16 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 8:02pm

Don Stephan wrote on Mar 7th, 2017 at 7:04pm:
Hard to imagine how a screen could meet the standards for the high impact standard.  Wonderful if one does.

They are available, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Reply #17 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 1:49pm

Change mic to one that clips over ear and comes around to the mouth. Like lecturer's use. (preacher too)

Glenn J.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #18 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 4:46pm

Glenn - good idea.  I have used the ear-hook mic in the past.

I have found these (below) but I want to test these before buying. From reviews, weight and comfort is a personal factor that one must experience.

The info below was clipped from a listing found on Amazon.

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #19 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 5:25pm

I had thought about using the mesh shields but to me they aren't very stout.  I have the equivalent of the one shown above with the ear muffs--it's great for chainsawing.  Doubt  I'd use it at the lathe---be ok for shavings but not the occasional chunk (which in my case would likely be bark). 
Now if you were away from the lathe danger area, then I 'd think that should suffice for a class situation.

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Bill Rockwood

WR Rocks!

Buena Park, California, USA
Buena Park
California
USA

HF 1236 (34706)
Excelsior 10x18
HF 8x12 (95607)
Reply #20 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 7:11pm

I got all giddy when I saw the hockey goalie masks!  I'm thinking, where's our Canadian friends, eh?  How about a mask like the one below!  A little pricey ($750), but beefy AND classy!  Cool

I was also looking at this Uvex shield/helmet combo, but can't seem to find a seller or a price: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Steve Kniffen

WR Rocks!

Clyde, Texas, USA
Clyde
Texas
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #21 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 7:41pm

Several of the vendors for the mesh face shields specifically say on their sites that these shields do not meet the criteria for a high impact.

Lynne Yamaguchi is using a police riot helmet like this one:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register .  Since we aren't dealing with bullets, a non-ballistic helmet with a face shield will do the trick.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #22 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 9:47am

Steve Kniffen wrote on Mar 8th, 2017 at 7:41pm:
Several of the vendors for the mesh face shields specifically say on their sites that these shields do not meet the criteria for a high impact.

Good point
If you're thinking about a safety product in the first place, you should probably get one that is safety rated for what you're doing.
The mesh shield I linked to states  "Meets ANSI Z87.1 standards for wire mesh"
The Uvex Bionic states "ANSI) rating of Z87.1-2003 for high impact protection"

On a side note, while I know unforeseen things happen (accidents), things flying off the lathe should not be the norm. Maybe some better work holding practices and methods may be in order. Always use caution (stop and inspect) when turning "suspect" wood.

Turn safe everyone.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #23 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 1:04am

As in the industrial world PPE (personal protective equipment) is a last line of defence, for when engineering and procedures fail. With Woodturning the line of fire avoidance is one of the most effective procedures.
Stay safe.

IP Logged

Steve Kniffen

WR Rocks!

Clyde, Texas, USA
Clyde
Texas
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #24 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 7:50am

Bert Delisle wrote on Mar 10th, 2017 at 1:04am:
As in the industrial world PPE (personal protective equipment) is a last line of defence, for when engineering and procedures fail. With Woodturning the line of fire avoidance is one of the most effective procedures.
Stay safe.

Absolutely correct Bert!  If we work smarter, we'll be safer.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #25 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 8:12pm

My understanding is that the high impact rating compliance is indicated by Z87.1+ of Z87+.  The mesh faceshield, while no doubt more comfortable, only has a rating of Z87.1 on the linked web page which suggests it does not meet the high impact criteria.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #26 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 9:24pm

Thank you Don, I stand corrected.
"ANSI Z87.1 classifies eye protection as impact- or non-impact-rated. Impact-rated eye protection must pass certain high-mass and high-velocity tests, and provide eye protection from the side. Impact-rated eye protection will have a plus symbol (+). Impact-rated flat lenses, for instance, will be marked “Z87+.”"

Personally, I don't have objects coming off my lathe at ballistic speeds. I also always wear safety glasses that are impact rated with of without a face shield.

IP Logged

Glenn Roberts
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Reply #27 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 7:42am

Personally, I don't have objects coming off my lathe at ballistic speeds

I usually don't either.  Roll Eyes Shocked

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Michael Maye

Swinford, Ireland
Swinford
Ireland

Draper WTL12
Reply #28 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:19pm

Just an update on this. I had a good look at my faceshield when I was out in the workshop earlier (must admit I never looked at the small print on it before!). It says on the shield, ANSI Z87+ I assume that's the impact rating?

« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:21pm by Michael Maye »  

WWW MayoMicksPhotoBlog/  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #29 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:28pm

Michael Maye wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:19pm:
I assume that's the impact rating?

That's the confusing part.
Yes your is "high" impact rated indicated by the plus.
Without the plus sign it has an impact rating (not high) but did not pass the high impact test.
You can do a google search for this sort of thing but the ANSI high impact rating (+) states something like it will withstand a 1/4" steel ball moving at 150 feet per second.

IP Logged

Michael Maye

Swinford, Ireland
Swinford
Ireland

Draper WTL12
Reply #30 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 6:22pm

Ed Weber wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:28pm:
Michael Maye wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:19pm:
I assume that's the impact rating?

That's the confusing part.
Yes your is "high" impact rated indicated by the plus.
Without the plus sign it has an impact rating (not high) but did not pass the high impact test.
You can do a google search for this sort of thing but the ANSI high impact rating (+) states something like it will withstand a 1/4" steel ball moving at 150 feet per second.

Somehow I don't want to test that out  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Thanks for the info.

Trying my hand at some off centre turning at the moment, feel a little safer knowing this!

WWW MayoMicksPhotoBlog/  
IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #31 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 7:54pm

Here are the specs for the drop test.

The standard uses a 1" steel ball dropped from 50"
The + uses a 17.6 oz pointed projectile dropped from the same 50".

The standard must pass NO velocity test.
The + must withstand a 1/4" steel ball at roughly 100 mph.

"High Mass Impact Test
A TestResources Pointed Projectile Test Machine which drops a special weighted and pointed projectile, weighing 500grams (17.6 oz). The test machine has an adjustable dropping height for the recommended 127 cm (50 inch) drop. This is useful to adjust for future testing needs as well. The projectile is guided precisely within a plastic tube.

Drop Ball Impact Test
This test can be performed with the same Drop Test machine at the recommended test height of 127 cm (50 inch). The fixture suspends the ASNI Z87.1 1 inch (25.4mm) diameter steel ball with a magnetic hold, released with a touch of a button."
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2017 at 7:54pm by Mike Mills »  

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #32 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 8:35pm

Mike Mills wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 7:54pm:
The + must withstand a 1/4" steel ball at roughly 100 mph.

JMO
Some perspective
To have something come at you from your lathe at 100mph, you would need to be spinning a 10" diameter bowl at over 3300RPM and have that same 1/4" piece fly off the outer diameter.
And if the 10" bowl itself, with all it's mass comes at you at 100mph, it doesn't matter what you're wearing to protect your face.
That's not high velocity impact, that's blunt force trauma.
I don't worry about the +

IP Logged

Brian Lucas
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Butler, Wisconsin, USA
Butler
Wisconsin
USA

12/x16 Rikon
Reply #33 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 12:31pm

New to turning and use a UVEX like mask, but I have seriously considered using my extra Baseball Umpire Mask (hobby that funds my turning) with wrap around googles .  Twice I have had bowls come off the lathe after reversing them (broke off foot, apparently slightly punky wood was not as stable as I thought).  It has to more protection than the piece of plastic in front of my face.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #34 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 4:50pm

Face shields are PPE, and as such are the last line of defence, after staying out of the line of fire, inspection of project pieces for flaws and soundness. PPE is not intended to replace use of the grey matter between the ears. Woodturners have turned safely for hundreds of years without PPE, life is too short to turn bad wood. JMHO

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #35 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 5:35pm

Bert Delisle wrote on Mar 31st, 2017 at 4:50pm:
Face shields are PPE, and as such are the last line of defence, after staying out of the line of fire, inspection of project pieces for flaws and soundness. PPE is not intended to replace use of the grey matter between the ears. Woodturners have turned safely for hundreds of years without PPE, life is too short to turn bad wood. JMHO

Bert, again well said.

If you do turn "suspect" wood on occasion, be careful. Stop the lathe from time to time and check to see if it's still securely mounted. Turn at a lower/slower speed if possible. Change the way the piece is mounted to the lathe.
There are far too many stories floating around out there about pieces flying off the lathe, we don't need anymore.
Turn safely

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print