Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What 5 turning tools you purchased that you wish you hadn't? (Read 2,562 times)

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
What 5 turning tools you purchased that you wish you hadn't?
Mar 20th, 2017 at 8:01am

We hear about a new tool and think its going to be the next great thing since the invention of wonder bread and we got to give it a try so we buy it. I think we as turners are all guilty of collecting tools, I have a least 8 skews. I know I have a bunch of tools that I haven't used in a long time and some I only used once to twice.

QOTW: What five turning tools you purchased that you wish you hadn't, that are collecting dust, or didn't really make you a better turner?  If you wish you may elaborate why.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: What 5 turning tools you purchased that you wish you hadn't?
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 8:38am

So, no one has bought a tool and regretted it, I find that a little hard to believe to say the least.

How many have the Skew attachment for the Wolverine system? (Nobody seems to like that thing)
How many have purchased a 'one use" tool, like a captive ring tool or Chinese ball tool?
How about the Sorby Spindlemaster (I had one and sold it)
Is there a set of chuck jaws you never use?
Drive centers, live centers, face-plates, chucks, tools rests?
I know there are some of you members out there with a pile of unused and/or unwanted tools. Why not tell your story and maybe help someone else from making the same mistake you did. Or maybe someone might want to buy your unwanted tool or tools.

IP Logged

StefanoBastianelli

WR Rocks!

Rochester, New York, USA
Rochester
New York
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 9:13am

I am a newbie in wood turning, but I am really cautious when I buy something. Even if I need to spend 1 dollar. That's a big discussion with my wife. She buys stuff just because "It is only 2 dollars with the coupon!" (She is American Smiley ). The deal is, it is not how much it is, it is about "Will I use it? How many times?".
I will be honest, but there is really not much. I can answer with a no to all Ed's questions. I made some of those special tools (captive rings tool, box scrapers, etc.) by myself and I am not a fun of DIY. I mean if it is worth it, ok, but I would rather spend X dollars than investing 4 hours for figuring out about it instead of turning. So if it is quick and easy..good, I will do it by myself. If it is not and it is something that I am not sure if I will use it, then I can live without.

But I can probably say, the detail spindle gouge. I use it, but not as much as I want. Mostly because I use a skew for the 50% of what I do, then is all scrapers, bowl gouges and parting tools.
Also, believe it or not, I get a lot of catches with that detail spindle gouge and I end up to ruin the piece or it is a"changing the design opportunity" scenario Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2017 at 9:15am by StefanoBastianelli »  

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 9:36am

Here is my list

Oval skew Too much chatter because its too light

Beading tool I use either a skew or a 1/4" fluteless gouge to make any size bead I need. A beading tool one gives you one size, unless you buy 4-5 different sizes.

Dovetail tool Thankfully I didn't buy this one, it was given to me. I find the a skew does as good if not better job at making dovetails.

1/4" spindle gouge Way to light and lacks rigidity which causes chatter. At least its useful as a seed dibber.

Mini pen turning set. I bought this when I first started turning thinking pens are small so I need small tools. Boy was I wrong.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 10:56am

StefanoBastianelli wrote on Mar 21st, 2017 at 9:13am:
I can answer with a no to all Ed's questions. I made some of those special tools (captive rings tool, box scrapers, etc.) by myself and I am not a fun of DIY. I mean if it is worth it, ok, but I would rather spend X dollars than investing 4 hours for figuring out about it instead of turning.

I think we're sort of on the same page with this. I can make the "usual tools" that many turners make (Parting tool comes to mind) and somehow convince themselves they saved money.  Roll Eyes, I just choose not to, it's simply not cost effective to me. I know what my time is worth.

Ron Sardo wrote on Mar 21st, 2017 at 9:36am:
Mini pen turning set. I bought this when I first started turning thinking pens are small so I need small tools. Boy was I wrong.

I'm an advocate for "FULL SIZE" tools
I can't believe they still sell those tiny things.

Sometimes it's difficult to tell what's going to "get you" (even if you've been buying tools for decades, you can still get caught from time to time)
In one sense I don't really regret buying any tools, although I did learn from my purchases and definitely know what I won't buy again.
1. Faceplate rings, I never like the way they seated on the chuck jaws.
2. Sorby spinflemaster, (sold it) IMO a good idea, executed poorly
3. Anything handled, I've found that most tool handles are either too short, too small in diameter, cheap wood or a combination of some kind.
4. Nova G3 (sold it) I know some people love them, I do not. IMO it's a good idea that remains unfinished.
5. MISC, there are tools that came as part of a kit that get seldom, if ever used (these are the tools that get reground for that "experimental" tool) and there are tools that are not strictly dedicated to turning, like bandsaw blades (I'll never buy Timberwolf again)

IP Logged

Steve nix

WR Rocks!

Iota, Louisiana, USA
Iota
Louisiana
USA

1642 Jet, RobustAB
Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 12:33pm

My list include:
Pen turning set, three tools,  can't sharpen on one way jig
Oval skew, should include all skews LOL
3/4 bowl gouge

IP Logged

Bill Rockwood

WR Rocks!

Buena Park, California, USA
Buena Park
California
USA

Grizzly G0838
Excelsior 10x18
HF 8x12 (95607)
Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 12:50pm

Wished I hadn't:
1.  When I first started turning:  Harbor Freight $19 set of 6 turning tools.  Yikes - lightweight, poor quality carbon steel, tool has almost no mass, construction is poor, not even good for re-purposing.
2. Set of 5 Wilton Minitools (thought these might be needed for small spindle details.  Maybe for doll furniture?)  Same problems as above.
3. Small expanding collet chuck (the one for pocket watches) - don't make that many pocket watches, and normally default to regular chucks.

Collecting dust:
4. Extension bed for my mini-lathe.  Its on there, gives me 38" spindle capacity, but I just don't use it.  Purchased just before I bought the larger lathe which has ~34inch capacity, which is generally sufficient.
5. Jury is still out: Woodcraft Woodriver 3/8in V-fluted bowl gouge.  I'm a U-flute guy, I guess, hard to adapt to the V-flute.

IP Logged

David Moeller

Old chiseler

Linden, Michigan, USA
Linden
Michigan
USA

LAGUNA REVO 15X24
CONOVER 15 x Infinity
Long gone: Shopsmith, Myford ML8, Homebuilt bowl lathe, NOVA benchtop, Delta 46-715 and a Unimat.

Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 7:57pm

Same 3 pc. mini set (can't sharpen, too flexible, and they grab).
Thread chasing specialty tools.
and - my rustiest chisels - 40 yrs ago I 'had to have' a 2" skew  and a 1 1/2" shallow flute gouge.

Everyone has 1 redeeming feature: they're biodegradable

IP Logged

Chris Neilan
WR Addict

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 9:02pm

Only 5???

1. Tormek- great, but unnecessary
2. Carter bandsaw circle jig- only good for flat stock, not bowl blanks
3. Varigrind 2 - prefer the original
4. bed extension of my Delta 46-460 - still in the box
5. Monster base for the aforementioned 46-460- what was I thinking? put it on the Powermatic for God's sake!

For what it's worth, I like the skew attachment for the Wolverine. Once figured out it works great for me!

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 11:17am

I must be very lucky as I can't think of any tool that I regret acquiring. I do have quite a few that get limited use but I never regret having them when I need them. I have small tools for ornaments and pens and large tools for bowls and platters, small hollowers and large bowl savers.
There are some purpose grind tools that could have been made DIY but by purchasing it already ground shortened my learning curve. The only tool that even remotely falls into this category are the round bar fine finishing scrapers by HT. They work excellent but only for very very light finishing cuts, where sandpaper seems to work just as good or better for blending.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2017 at 11:21am by Bert Delisle »  

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 11:39am

Bert Delisle wrote on Mar 22nd, 2017 at 11:17am:
I must be very lucky as I can't think of any tool that I regret acquiring.

"Lucky" isn't the word for it, I would call you an anomaly.

You never had a tool prematurely break?
Never had a tool that did not perform as it was "supposed to'?
Never purchased a tool only to find it really wasn't worth the purchase price?

I do my research on the tools I purchase but you can still get bit once in a while, not often but it happens.
If you have some "Luck" to spare I'll gladly take some.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 12:07pm

Thanks Ed, I have been called the "a" word before but never spelled that way.LOL
I too usually do some research before parting with hard earned funds. The one tool that was purpose ground that I could have made myself is the Wiedemann Christmas tree tool. I bought it from Germany, shipping was atrocious but the tool does exactly what it is designed to do, it will roll out flowers effortlessly and consistently, hence a very short learning curve and almost immediate success with repeatable results. The angles and fine finish polishing/honing make the tool. I would never have ground it like it is by myself. Sometimes it is just better to get the benefits of someone's research and developement by paying for it with cash rather than wasting time trying to re-invent it. Jump right to using the tools creatively instead of trying to build the tool. Don't get me wrong I do like making task specific tools but when a proven one exists already I like to support the creative toolmakers out there. JMNSHO. Smiley

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 1:51pm

Bert Delisle wrote on Mar 22nd, 2017 at 12:07pm:
Sometimes it is just better to get the benefits of someone's research and development by paying for it with cash rather than wasting time trying to re-invent it.

I can't argue with that statement. I can think of a few tools that people try to duplicate a commercially made product only to achieve dismal quality and at times it wound up costing more in the long run.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #13 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 2:16pm

I totally agree with the last two posts, as I said earlier.
Ed Weber wrote on Mar 21st, 2017 at 10:56am:
I think we're sort of on the same page with this. I can make the "usual tools" that many turners make (Parting tool comes to mind) and somehow convince themselves they saved money.  Roll Eyes, I just choose not to, it's simply not cost effective to me. I know what my time is worth.

I have seen more "Fred Flintstone" looking things made (and it didn't cost me a thing  Roll Eyes) that the person swore was just as good as buying one. 90% of the time, this is not the case.
There is a time and a place to decide whether to build or buy, everyone finds their own comfort zone.

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Robust AB
Grizzly 12x20 Midi Lathe
Delta 10x16 Mini Lathe
Reply #14 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 5:18pm

1. I have a Sorby continental spindle gouge that I haven't found a use for as of yet
2. I have the Wolverine skew attachment that goes unused
3. I have a set of pin jaws for the Easy Chuck - I like the chuck for most things, but the pin jaws have too much play in them
4. I bought an old Mongomery Wards (PowerKraft) lathe from a co-worker that just sits - I was going to make a disc sander from it but then I bought a disc sander.
5. ????????????????????? maybe I'll think of something later. Cry

Turnin' and learnin'

WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print