Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Beall polishing system (Read 827 times)

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Re: Beall polishing system
Reply #15 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 10:47am

Regarding the use of auto polishes, are they used in place of the tripoli and white diamond on the Beall buffs or do you just use other buffs?
Also, if these auto polishes are liquid how do you charge the buffs, just pour it on?
I realize the rotonstone an pumice are "old time" but I have been able to get the results i wanted, which is a not too much gloss and not a plastic look.
Thanks

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #16 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 11:02am

Bruce Kamp wrote on Mar 30th, 2017 at 10:47am:
Regarding the use of auto polishes,

There are so many products for the automotive paint industry it's unbelievable.
Some need to be buffed in, some need to be left to haze over, some are strictly polishing compounds (little or no abrasives) some are buffing compounds (abrasives in them) .
With literally hundreds of compounds all with different formulas and levels and/or sizes and shapes of abrasive particles, it's difficult to tell someone where to start.
Not to be a jerk, but you really need to figure out what you want your end result to be and then follow the directions on whatever product "says" it will give you that result.

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #17 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 4:16pm

Ed, thank. I think I understand that. I was just wondering how others use the auto polishers, liquid, paste, etc in conjunction with the buffing wheels.
I would think that is generally not a good idea to mix types of polish on a buff wheel, even if they are supposed to be the same grit. However, I may be wrong. That's why I asked.
What i am shooting for is a nice shine that is short of full gloss and leaves the piece feeling very smooth.
My Beall system is arriving early next week. I will just wait and play with that to see what I get and if it is close to what I want. Then go from there.
Thanks.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #18 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 4:55pm

Bruce, I think you'll be doing a bit of experimenting with different finishes until you're satisfied. I think you'll like it.

As a general rule,
IMO unless you've exhausted all the woodworking polishes and compounds, which s  highly unlikely, turning to the automotive products can just complicate things further.
These auto products are designed to work with automotive paints and clear coats. These auto finished are not the same as woodworking finishes so use an appropriate amount of caution (common sense) when using them.

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #19 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 7:57am

Bruce,
I will add my two cents even though you have been given good advice already. I still use my Beall buffing system on every utility bowl and most art pieces I make. The only change is I never use the carnauba wax anymore on anything that will be handled because of showing finger prints heaven forbid a drop of water hit a piece with C wax on it because it shows bad water spots. Since I have customers constantly handling my work it just makes since. I use Renaissance wax instead then buff it. (Problem solved) Every piece of wood IMHO looks better after buffing with the tripoli and white diamond.(except dark open grain wood with white diamond) 8" wheels are the best but I have the smaller ones also for smaller bowls. I agree the balls don't work as good as the wheels.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2017 at 7:59am by Breck Whitworth »  

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #20 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 10:02am

Thank you for reminding me Breck. I just ordered some R wax too.

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #21 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 10:49am

Early report on my Beall system. It is clearly better than the rotten stone /pumice routine. Easier, cleaner , and more consistent. You all said that but I had to learn for myself.   Smiley
Tried on both poly finished work and Danish oil finished work. On the poly it may give a little too much shine if I go through white diamond. May stop at Tripoli in the future. For cured oil it is great. Very smooth with a soft luster.
I have been following Dick Sing's method of a sanded in lacquer base with oil finish and that seems to polish the best so far.
Overall, very easy to work with and I love the results so far. Thanks for everyone's input. It certainly helped.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print