Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ornament embellishment project (Read 262 times)

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Ornament embellishment project
Mar 27th, 2017 at 9:40am

I have started to create my 2017 signature series of ornaments. This one is an apple wood hollow ball (<1/8"wall ) that has Lichtenburg Pyrography embellishment.
I found an electrolyte solution that does not stain the wood, (much better than baking soda) and my practice efforts on thin projects is paying off.
Initial response to the LP embellished items has been very positive, so it will be interesting to watch customer reaction to this product.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Ornament embellishment project
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 10:56am

Nice ornament Bert. I'm glad to see someone actually experiment and foundd the electrolyte solution that works for them.  Thumbs Up
As to the ornament, I wouldn't concern myself with wall thickness but rather weight.
I try to get my ornaments in the 2oz range (depending on size) if it's to be shown on a stand or artificial tree, it can be slightly heavier.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 12:44am

Thanks Ed, this one weighs in at 1.15 oz. I may try adding some piercing in future so that the hollow ball is readily apparent to the viewer.

IP Logged

Steve Bistritz
WR Supporter

Harrington Park, New Jersey, USA
Harrington Park
New Jersey
USA

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 8:22am

Bert Delisle wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 9:40am:
I have started to create my 2017 signature series of ornaments. This one is an apple wood hollow ball (<1/8"wall ) that has Lichtenburg Pyrography embellishment.
I found an electrolyte solution that does not stain the wood, (much better than baking soda) and my practice efforts on thin projects is paying off.
Initial response to the LP embellished items has been very positive, so it will be interesting to watch customer reaction to this product.

Would you mind sharing what solution you use????

So many interests,so little time.........

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 9:20am

I found that Magnesium Chloride (MgCl) ice melter works well. When mixing the solution I go for saturation strength, keep adding until the water won't dissolve any more. Warm water dissolves more than cold but the key for consistency in my mind is solution at saturation. I am still very new to this and every session reveals some new learnings, that's part of the fun, keeps the grey matter between the ears churning. Shocked

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print