Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Feather Boards
Mar 29th, 2017 at 9:43am

For those of you who do "flat" woodworking.
I've recently been using the Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register feather boards.
I was just wondering, if anyone else has used them and what were your thoughts.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Re: Feather Boards
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 12:12pm

They look nice. Do they hold up over time?

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 12:28pm

I'll be interested to read your impressions when you've used it for a while, Ed.

I can't say that I'm impressed by their promo videos. They seem to place a lot of emphasis on the anti-kickback features of the product. To demonstrate how poor a "standard" featherboard is, they push stock through a table saw backwards, they run a saw with no splitter or riving knife and they use a push stick incorrectly. I have to question any company that promotes their products by breaking pretty much every safety rule, and implying that their product will keep you save regardless.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 4:33pm

I have no stake in this company and I won't apologize for them but:
The video is intended to show the speed and force of an unrestrained piece of lumber. This is what can happen without using any feather board. THis is no different than scaring the (you know what) out of a hotdog.
JMO
As far as usage, they're straight forward. It "feels" like there is less resistance than a standard FB when feeding through, I like that.
I had gotten a pair (on sale) to see if I liked them, I only used them once or twice on my router table and decided to get the stacked set for a project I had. I was cutting a 1/4" x 1 1/2" rabbet, this required me to rip the stock on it's edge. The stacked kit worked fine for me (BTW, the stacked kit is a better deal than buying two individual ones)
I;ve only run about 250' of stock past them, so far no signs of wear. I have only used the standard inserts, I haven't had a need for the soft inserts yet.
So far so good.
Please don't just go out and buy them on my word, if you're interested ask at the other forums like sawmill creek and get more input.
I don't mind paying the price for them because It's a safety item that takes no more effort than standard methods of work and so far works as described.

I will try to post a proper thorough review after some more time and lumber has passed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print