Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nova Galaxi Lathe 1644 (Read 723 times)

Ken McLaughlin

For God, Family, Country,
and Auburn Football!

Nova Galaxi Lathe 1644
Apr 3rd, 2017 at 12:28pm

Hey, guys. I've been away from here for a while, but am getting back into turning some. I have a Jet 1221vs but like larger lathes for obvious reasons. My question is, does anyone here have first-hand experience or knowledge of the Nova? Some reviews online are good and some not as good. Thanks for your time and willingness to help. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Ken McLaughlin

and Auburn Football!

Re: Nova Galaxi Lathe 1644
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 7:28pm

I guess the Galaxi is not very popular. Has anyone heard anything about them? Looks like an ideal size and drive if as good as the older versions.

IP Logged

Mike Rocklin
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Arlington, Vermont, USA
Arlington
Vermont
USA

Turncrafter Commander
Nova Galaxi DVR
Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 11:47pm

I've had mine for a couple months now and am very pleased with it. I don't have much experience with other full size lathes, but the Galaxi hasn't disappointed me at all. I know some people have had trouble with Nova's customer service but that wasn't the case for me. The lathes control board had a small cosmetic flaw and they sent me a new one out right away. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll answer them to the best of my ability. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Mike Rocklin
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Arlington, Vermont, USA
Arlington
Vermont
USA

Turncrafter Commander
Nova Galaxi DVR
Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 11:49pm

Oh and the walnut log has them for $1999 all the time. Wink

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2017 at 9:43am

I think the problem may be that they are pretty new.  Just as they changed the 1624 to the 1624 II (different color and added a shut off switch).
The Galaxy appears to be the Nova DVR XP painted black and with a longer bed.  Lots of folks have the XP.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Ken McLaughlin

and Auburn Football!

Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2017 at 8:08pm

Mike Mills wrote on Apr 6th, 2017 at 9:43am:
I think the problem may be that they are pretty new.  Just as they changed the 1624 to the 1624 II (different color and added a shut off switch).
The Galaxy appears to be the Nova DVR XP painted black and with a longer bed.  Lots of folks have the XP.

Did the XP have the same size motor? Am I correct in thinking there are electronic upgrades in the galaxi, also?

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 10:07am

I think you will have to compare the two specs.  A real difference is the speed control; seems the XP is a button your push and the Galaxy is a knob you turn.
The XP list 1.75 hp/115 and 2 hp/ 220
The Galaxy list 1.75 /220 BUT in the same place 2.3 hp at 220.  So ?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2017 at 10:08am by Mike Mills »  

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Ken McLaughlin

and Auburn Football!

Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 8:00pm

Mike Mills wrote on Apr 7th, 2017 at 10:07am:
I think you will have to compare the two specs.  A real difference is the speed control; seems the XP is a button your push and the Galaxy is a knob you turn.
The XP list 1.75 hp/115 and 2 hp/ 220
The Galaxy list 1.75 /220 BUT in the same place 2.3 hp at 220.  So ?

I noticed the different ratings and don't see how they came up with them. I'm going to keep up with reviews, etc. of the Galaxi, with possible purchase later. Thanks for your help, Mike.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print