Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
WTB or Trade for Silver and Deming Drill Bits (Read 2,267 times)

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Re: WTB or Trade for Silver and Deming Drill Bits
Reply #15 - Apr 6th, 2017 at 5:00pm

Ken where are looking ?   a link ?

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #16 - Apr 6th, 2017 at 5:08pm

Ed I have a boring "box"...On the front of it is a 1 1/2" 4 bolt flange bearing On the back of the "box" is a guide bushing to line up the gundrill but really the drill I use to drill the pilot hole (the ones I am looking for ) pretty well lines everything up.The gundril's geometry on the bit is set up (according to what Ive read ) to help keep the bit on center once it starts...I would like to go a little a little deeper with the pilot hole.I am drilling a 36" blank usually.(I go 1/2 way then flip the blank and go the other 1/2 way.....Its looking like the way Ken is talking about ....a drill bit for MT2 might be the way to go.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #17 - Apr 6th, 2017 at 7:02pm

Mike

I was looking at

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

These are nothing fancy -  but handy.   Note I did not see 7/8 but 57/64 is very close

These folks sell long boy 12 inch bits also but the price goes way up fast.

by the way, the drill doctor does not care what the shank is like but mine does not go to 7/8 inch (have done 5/8 and 11/16 though)

Ken

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #18 - Apr 6th, 2017 at 7:41pm

Mike Turner wrote on Apr 6th, 2017 at 5:08pm:
I am drilling a 36" blank usually.(I go 1/2 way then flip the blank and go the other 1/2 way.....Its looking like the way Ken is talking about ....a drill bit for MT2 might be the way to go.

Half way would be 18" if my math is correct Roll Eyes Undecided
So I'm guessing this was a typo?

Mike Turner wrote on Apr 4th, 2017 at 6:44pm:
.If I had them 8" long that would be great ...

Or are you looking for half way of 18 inches?

MT bits are certainly an option but finding a 7/8' MT2 bit with 10" - 12" of cutting length will most likely cost more than a standard bit.
Machining costs money, reduced shank (silver & Deming) = money, Morse taper = money, extra length = money.
This is why I suggested something like Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
This can be used in a collet chuck (a useful tool IMO) and won't break the bank.
The bits that Ken linked to are a good price but with a flute length of 6-1/8", what are you gaining over what you currently have?

« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2017 at 7:42pm by Ed Weber »  

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #19 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 3:07am

Im not looking for 18". 10" would be sufficient. The bits I have have 6" but I lose a little of that by not being able to go past the guide bushing on the back of the box near the tailstock plus the blank cant be all the way up to the bushing on the inside of the box because chips have to be removed..I have a shop vac hooked to side of box pulling those out . (A gundril has a hole going through the bit's entire length for compressed air to blow chips out or it would bog down.) It works very good just once in a while it does drift a little but what I drill with the drills for the pilot hole is really accurate....Ive only lost one flute blank in the past.I would drill the pilot hole on both ends .I know it s probable hard to picture all this...Weekend I ll try to get a pic posted.
....I do like those bits and it takes the chuck out of the picture but I dont gain any length ..now if they were 10" that would be good
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2017 at 3:30am by Mike Turner »  

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #20 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 10:01am

Mike, this is all well and good.
I understand your process and how a gun drill works. Your comments about length of piece and drill bit have been a bit confusing.

You need to determine EXACTLY what length dill bit you need. (or at least the minimum length)
This means taking into account all of the bushings, bearings, chucks and fixtures the bit will encounter.
Add that length to
The depth of the pilot hole you want to dill.
Effective length and overall length are very different and probably about 3" apart from your description
Mike Turner wrote on Apr 7th, 2017 at 3:07am:
I do like those bits and it takes the chuck out of the picture but I dont gain any length ..now if they were 10" that would be good

You can get them in that length, for about $100 per bit

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #21 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 7:07pm

12 inch morse taper 7/8 bit with 8 inches flute.  You loose a couple of inches into the taper so effective length is less.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

They also come in longer formats at higher prices.

Long bits are a challenge on my lathe because the extension of the tail stock is limited to about 4 inches.   I can leave the lock loose and push the tailstock, but there is no pretext of fine control.

« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2017 at 7:08pm by Ken Vaughan »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #22 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 7:53pm

Ed I think Ill pass on the $100 bit. I saw some of those.

Ken my lathe is the same way.Go so fart and have to unlock tailstock and push forward.

I think if I redesign  or even remove the board on the back with the guide bushing I can get almost all the length out of my current drill bits minus whats in the chuck ....Box would be open and make a little more mess but its wood working.

Thanks guys for all your links, suggestions etc!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print