WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Foam Jam Chucks
Apr 6th, 2017 at 7:00pm

Another member of Cincinnati's wood turning group was kind enough to share with the group styrofoam jam chucks he found useful.  Thought it was a great idea so I made some for myself.

The 2" thick high density styrofoam is about $30 at big box stores for a 4 x 8 sheet.  It can be cut into rough circles with a band saw or even a longish knife.  The base starts as a rough circle of 1" poplar mounted on a screw chuck, turned round, and a tenon formed.

The styrofoam rough circle was glued to the base using Titebond and a Bessey hand clamp.  The next day, the base was mounted in a four jaw chuck and the foam shaped with a spindle gouge.  The smoothest finish results from a high shear cut.

The photo shows a graduated set I made in a short period of time, with two wooden jam chucks I used to use.  Part of a sheet of styrofoam is in the background.   One of the wooden chucks had a layer of cork, the other closed cell foam from a hobby store.  I'd also tried thick shelf liner, and there always was some movement/slippage using the wooden chucks.  This left a shiny spot on the inside of the lathe I had to had sand.  To date I have only used foam jam chucks two or three times, but the grip seems stronger, there never was a shiny spot on the inside of the bowl, and I think they are a vast improvement.  Finally, the foam is rigid but still has enough give to conform slightly to the inside of the bowl if necessary.
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2017 at 1:45pm by Don Stephan »  
IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Re: Foam Jam Chucks
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2017 at 7:08pm

Thanks Don --  Looks like a good tip and the foam could be scraps from a construction job.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print