Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mystery Lathe (Read 516 times)

Ian Bohannon
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Mystery Lathe
Apr 12th, 2017 at 12:43pm

After doing a little bit of research for a few months I've finally decided to bite the bullet and get my very own lathe. Time to make some chips!

I managed to find a good deal on an 90's used lathe. After some not-so close inspection, the front plate says "EIC Model 1000 Copy Lathe". I've never heard of EIC before and I can't seem to find any info online. I assume its a pretty cheap import. The copy tool only kinda works. Not a big deal, I can get it working pretty easily and I don't plan on using it too much.

The thing that really surprised me is the headstock and tailstock tools. Unfortunately it doesn't have MT shafts and is threaded with non-standard threads. I measured it with my calipers and I measured the tailstock at 1"-8, the headstock OD at 1 1/8"-12 and the ID at 5/8"-11. Does this seem right to anyone? These seem like really odd threads to me.

If I wanted to attach chucks, arbors etc.. is there anything I can do aside from replacing the shafts or the entire head/tail stocks? I haven't had any luck finding threaded MT shaft adapters.

Thanks in advance. I'm excited to start learning everything I can about wood turning!

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Re: Mystery Lathe
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 1:32pm

Some pics may help.
For Nova chucks (G3 & SN2) they offer two inserts to fit a 1-1/8X12 spindle.  I'm not sure if you need the "J" or the "U".
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Others may know of a tailstock live center that will fit the 1X8. All the ones I have used take a MT or are smaller.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 1:34pm

Ian

That lathe may be a bit older than you are crediting it.

Some chuck vendors still offer a wider range of thread adapters.  Oneway still lists an adapter on thier web site for 1 1/8 by 12 threads.  That will allow you to fit a chuck to the headstock.

There were a number of lathes, before standardization to morse tapers in the '90s, that lack the ease of that tooling.  Those lathes require creativity or custom machining.  That is your situation at the tailstock.

One option could be to use a 1by8 ER collet holder as the mount and get straight shank machinist tooling to fit collets in the holder.  I used a Taig live center for several years with a Bonnie Klein lathe.   Just not as compact and tends towards more runout.

It can be fun bring old iron back to use.  It can also be frustrating and sometimes costly.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 2:04pm

Seems you found out why you got such a good deal!! Shocked

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 3:43pm

Ian Bohannon wrote on Apr 12th, 2017 at 12:43pm:
I managed to find a good deal on an 90's used lathe.  After some not-so close inspection, the front plate says "EIC Model 1000 Copy Lathe".  I've never heard of EIC before and I can't seem to find any info online.  I assume its a pretty cheap import.

If you could post a picture, it would help.
I'm only guessing about your lathe but there are some common "1000 copy lathes' out there.
The 1000 usually stands for 1000mm between centers and there are many of these floating around, many with the three letter prefix. (MCF) (WLF)

IP Logged

Ian Bohannon
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 3:57pm

Thanks everyone for the input. Here's some pictures of the lathe
https ://goo.gl/photos/kJtL3SjW1x9xHMfw9

With that adapter piece for the Nova chucks and a few custom parts I think I should be able to use the thread on the headstock no problem. For the tailstock the threaded collet holder seems like the way to go. I'm also looking into possibly getting another tailstock and making a spacer mount to the ways. Does that seem like a feasible idea?
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2017 at 3:59pm by Ian Bohannon »  

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 10:02am

Ian

You might consider having the tailstock ram bored and reamed for a morse taper.  1 by 8 threaded lathes have enough thickness to accommodate a mt2 taper successfully. 

Cost could be prohibitive, but it might be worth a discussion if you know a local machinist. 

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 8:17pm

I think this is the one you have and here is a link to a business that sells them

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It is always the right time; To do the right thing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print