Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rikon vsr (Read 450 times)

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Rikon vsr
Apr 19th, 2017 at 10:13pm

Anyone out there  turning with the Rikon 220VSR that would like to share the good,bad or ugly? Looking at the variable speed midi lathes for a second lathe.
Thanks in advance
                                       Undecided

IP Logged

anthony liberati
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

newtown square pa, USA
newtown square pa
USA

Re: Rikon vsr
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 5:49am

Yes I just bought this lathe when it was on sale last Month.I went from Rikon 70-100.So far It has been great VS,works as it should. The 3 belt change if you have to use it is very convenient to access.Very quiet.And the 1HP motor does the job for me.Now I do not turn 12" bowls all day long with it.So far i can't find anything I do not like about it. But only time will tell how it holds up. Rikon has a very good warranty on it.That means a lot on any VS lathe.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2017 at 5:51am by anthony liberati »  

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Moderator

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 11:36am

Do not have one but have turned on one.  Was a good lathe for the size.  Motor was brushed dc variety and the torque drops off rapidly as the motor rpms drop below about 50 of full speed.  It did have three belt settings to mitigate the torque drop off by keeping motor rpm up when torque is needed.  Pretty good range of speeds on middle wheels.

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Supporter

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 7:11pm

I turned 2 small bowls on one at a class today. It is a nice lathe, but I find the on-off button to be in a bad place. Twice, when I was hollowing out the interior of the bowl, I turned the lathe off with my hip. Maybe it just takes some getting used to?

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

vicki hayden
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2017 at 10:20am

I have one and love it and their service. I don't do large bowls so it's perfect for me with thing 8-12 inches. I did make a flag pole for a boat in sections that came out good. It is steady, accurate, love the VS. I had 2 problems so far, one was a bent wrench which they quickly replaced free of charge. The second problem was that the VS readout went haywire with odd numbers. A quick call to tech support explained how to blow out the excess dust interfering with the sensor. I'd recommend it to anyone.

IP Logged

Buck Nemitt
WR Supporter

Lovin It

Toronto,Ohio, Ohio, USA
Toronto,Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2017 at 1:21pm

Nicely done Vicki

What the heck,Give it a try---