WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: Beal System
Reply #15 - May 3rd, 2017 at 8:06am

The Internet is a source of enormous volume of data, but of varying quality.  Some is from known sources that have extensive experience with the data being presented, some is from an unknown source with completely unknown experience.  It is important for the reader to thoroughly investigate their questions and experiment before making a commitment.

I have no experience with a beeswax/mineral oil finish.  I consider each individually to be a frequent maintenance item - waxes are relatively soft, mineral oil will be partially removed with each washing.  It is unlikely that any purchaser of a bowl with a beeswax/mineral oil finish would have a supply of same when reapplication is needed, and few purchasers would want a bowl needing regular reapplication.

Older writings sometimes suggest olive and other vegetable oils for wooden items, and occasionally they are still recommended; more often today though the comments suggest that vegetable oils may turn rancid with an off taste over time, implying a vegetable oil applied to a wooden item might do the same.

No doubt you will find some who will recommend for salad bowls  beeswax/mineral oil, some who will recommend vegetable oil, some who will recommend a hard finish, and so on.

The best recommendation I can offer is research thoroughly.  If you decide on a commercial product, use it as recommended by the manufacturer.  If you decide on a non-commercial product, test thoroughly in your own home before offering it to customers.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #16 - May 3rd, 2017 at 8:22am

For in service salad  bowls I provide a small jar of commercially available Claphams Salad bowl finish to the buyer, with instruction on re-applying the finish. So far it has been well received and response has been very positive.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #17 - May 3rd, 2017 at 8:40am

Don Stephan wrote on May 3rd, 2017 at 8:06am:
The best recommendation I can offer is research thoroughly.  If you decide on a commercial product, use it as recommended by the manufacturer.  If you decide on a non-commercial product, test thoroughly in your own home before offering it to customers.

I couldn't agree more  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print