Dick Bernard

WR Rocks!

Daytona Beach, Florida, USA
Daytona Beach
Florida
USA

Safe for a baby
Apr 24th, 2017 at 5:36am

Seven months ago I became a grandfather for the first time...what a great feeling.
I'm making my little guy a rattle out of walnut and maple.  My question is, is 2 or 3 coats of BLO a safe finish to use?

Thank you
Dick

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Tony Rozendaal
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Re: Safe for a baby
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 6:44am

BLO would not be my choice because of the metallic driers in the finish.  Unfortunately, I don't know of a good alternative.  I would probably used walnut oil (Mahoney's Utility Finish).

It would make a difference to me whether it was a captured ring type rattle (difficult to finish) or a smooth exterior with a hollow inside that contains beads/beans/peas/popcorn, etc. If it were a smooth exterior I might use General Finished Woodturners finish or another water based finish.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 8:17am

Without getting into the "all finishes are safe once cured" discussion.
You can either go with NO finish or use something like a toymakers finish.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register might also help you decide.

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 9:28am

I've used Mahoney's Walnut oil finish and then the oil/wax on top of that.  It's food safe and with walnut oil and beeswax, it's pretty "natural".

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 7:56am

IMO, I feel wooden rattles for babies are not a good thing at all. Once they start teething they will start to gnaw on the wood. The potential for the baby to get a splinter is to high to make this a good idea.

Instead how about a baby tooth keepsake box for the mom. As the child loses their baby teeth the mom can save them inside the box. Its the kind of thing that will be around for a very long time.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 8:39am

One could consider the product Osmo Topoil clear. It is certified suitable for children's toys. As mentioned already fully cured finishes have been discussed profusely however two schools of thought remain.
Osmo makes a number of wood finish products all of which could be dabated however the Topoil product has been specifically tested and certified for use on items to handled by children. I have been trying it and it does resul in a nice hard easy to clean wood surface.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 9:43am

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print