Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thompson Tools spindle gouges (Read 948 times)

StefanoBastianelli

WR Rocks!

Rochester, New York, USA
Rochester
New York
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Thompson Tools spindle gouges
Apr 25th, 2017 at 9:39am

Do you know the difference in shape/grind of the TT spindle gouges?
Unfortunately there are not specific pictures on the website. I tried to contact them a couple of weeks ago, but didn't get any answer.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Thompson Tools spindle gouges
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 9:54am

StefanoBastianelli wrote on Apr 25th, 2017 at 9:39am:
Do you know the difference in shape/grind of the TT spindle gouges?

I'm not really sure what you're asking.
As per the Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, he recommends a 40 degree angle on both the spindle & detail gouges.
Is there a style of grind you're specifically looking for?
Here is a photo of my 1/2" detail gouge (spindle gouge is sharpened the same)

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 11:37am

Doug Thompson has a section on sharpening on his web site which shows  the settings he uses with varigrind for sharpening.  He ships with a 40 degree nose and a "conventional" shape --  that is, neither pointy nor with swept back wings.

His prior web site indicated he uses the flute at 50% of diameter, so it can be used to drill into end grain.

My observation is that the sides of the flutes on the thompson spindle gouges are thicker than on some other brands of spindle gouges in the tool bucket.

My other observation is that the sharpening out of the tube is consistent.  Same thing every time.

I still have the freedom to grind them any way I want them.

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 12:22pm

I don't know if this is what you are asking but here is a pic of his gouges.  Two left are bowl, then spindle, then detail spindle, then shallow detail.
The spindle depth is 50% of diameter and the shallow detail is only 20% of diameter.  I did not find the detail but it would be somewhere between the two. The more shallow the depth in the diameter the more steel is left underneath.
Here is the link for the shallow detail gouge.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

StefanoBastianelli

WR Rocks!

Rochester, New York, USA
Rochester
New York
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 12:30pm

Thanks guys.
On the website I see there are spindle gouges, deep flute spindle gouges, shallow detail gouges and detail gouges.

This is the problem: as spindle gouges I only had the chance to used  a cheap (also not thick) 5/8 spindle gouge and a decent Crown 1/2 detail spindle gouge (I think it can be classified as shallow flute) and a cheap small 1/4 spindle gouge.
I do almost all my work with the skews, scrapers and bowl gouges and I have been not happy with my spindle gouges, except for the smaller one after I regrinded with a more pointy nose, but sometimes I feel the need of a larger one.
I also tried to regrind the the larger one, but still didn't like it. I was able to sold them and now I was looking for one that is more comfortable for me.
I found out that the cheap one was too large for me and also didn't like the too rounded point. The detail spindle gouge I think it is too limited for how I want to use it.
So essentially I am looking for a spindle gouge that is like the smaller one that I have with a more pointy nose.

IP Logged

StefanoBastianelli

WR Rocks!

Rochester, New York, USA
Rochester
New York
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 12:42pm

Let's see if I am able to load some pictures.
The first picture it is a gouge like the detail spindle gouge I had.
The second pictures is a gouge like the large regular spindle gouge I had.
The third picture is a gouge like I would like.
Now I assume I can exclude the shallow detail gouge from the TT site and I also assume that what I am looking for is something with deep flute.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 2:35pm

First of all, let's not get too confused. Anyone who sells a spindle gouge can call it whatever they want to. Many different names can point to the same thing.

The grind, not to sound like a broken record but if it's your gouge, grind it how ever you want to. I could easily grind my gouge I posted to the same grind as the one you like, which appears to be a straight pencil grind. The first two photos look to have a slight fingernail profile. IMO the grind is far more important than the flute depth and I never concern myself with how a gouge is sharpened when purchased.
If you are used to using a skew, I might lean toward the detail or shallow detail gouges, or any of those with less than 50% flute.

IP Logged

StefanoBastianelli

WR Rocks!

Rochester, New York, USA
Rochester
New York
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 3:04pm

Ed Weber wrote on Apr 25th, 2017 at 2:35pm:
First of all, let's not get too confused. Anyone who sells a spindle gouge can call it whatever they want to. Many different names can point to the same thing.

Yep, that's why it is confusing. I understood that a detail spindle gouge from a manufacturer can be completely different than a detail spindle gouge from another manufacturer. The best thing to do is seeing physically, but there is no chance.
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2017 at 3:04pm by StefanoBastianelli »  

IP Logged

StefanoBastianelli

WR Rocks!

Rochester, New York, USA
Rochester
New York
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Reply #8 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 3:19pm

Mike Mills wrote on Apr 25th, 2017 at 12:22pm:
I don't know if this is what you are asking but here is a pic of his gouges.  Two left are bowl, then spindle, then detail spindle, then shallow detail.
The spindle depth is 50% of diameter and the shallow detail is only 20% of diameter.  I did not find the detail but it would be somewhere between the two. The more shallow the depth in the diameter the more steel is left underneath.
Here is the link for the shallow detail gouge.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Thanks for the pic.
I know that I can regrind them, but just want to be sure what I am getting if I spend that money.
You can get a Ferrari, but if you are not comfortable driving in it, you are not going to like it.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 5:30pm

If you need/want pictures of other gouges or grinds, I'm sure myself or others here can post pics for you.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #10 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 7:28pm

Can't any spindle gouge be shaped to a more rounded or a more pointed tip, regardless of the thickness?  Somewhere I thought I read a "thinner" spindle gouge allowed narrower V groves and finer detail.  And a thicker spindle gouge should be useable farther off the tool rest (more reach).  Other than those points I'm not sure why spindle gouges would be offered in different thicknesses.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #11 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 8:07pm

Don Stephan wrote on Apr 25th, 2017 at 7:28pm:
Can't any spindle gouge be shaped to a more rounded or a more pointed tip, regardless of the thickness?

Yes,

Another reason for the different "thickness" of the flute as you referred to it, is really a byproduct of the shape.
A shallow flute (detail) gouge with a shallow curve in the flute cuts differently than a standard (beyond 50% of the diameter) gouge with a deep curve in the flute.
Detail gouges are also better at getting the tip of the tool into tight areas since the point is not in the center of the shaft, the smaller wings do not interfere nearly as much.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #12 - Apr 26th, 2017 at 1:17pm

Doug has been very busy getting ready for the AAW symposium.  If you send him an email he WILL answer back since he might not be at home and on the road.

Good thing with emails is they can be answered anywhere.

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

StefanoBastianelli

WR Rocks!

Rochester, New York, USA
Rochester
New York
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Reply #13 - Apr 26th, 2017 at 2:25pm

Arlin Eastman wrote on Apr 26th, 2017 at 1:17pm:
Doug has been very busy getting ready for the AAW symposium.  If you send him an email he WILL answer back since he might not be at home and on the road.

Good thing with emails is they can be answered anywhere.

That's what I did 2 weeks ago.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print