now.

Windermere, British Columbia, Canada
Windermere
British Columbia
Canada

Oneway 2036
Coring systems
Apr 27th, 2017 at 6:31pm

Looking to buy a coring system. A good one but cheaper . Have a large pile of big logs for 20 inch bowls but dont want to waste all the middle wood. Woods expensive. Which system is recommended.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: Coring systems
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 6:51pm

If I remember correctly Bob Hamilton posted a video on this website demonstrating two or three coring systems.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 7:38pm

I prefer the McNaughton.
I like the fact that the user has more control over the shape of the bowl.

IP Logged

Dave Richards

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 9:16pm

Brendan Stemp recently did a YouTube review on the Woodcut Coring System if you want to check it out

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 6:16am

Glenn, cheap and coring are not especially compatible terms

Three systems are sold, and the market is not huge.

In Canada, the Oneway system may be most available, works well

I have the same gear as Ed, and it works well.   Robo Hippy put his video  on use of the system on youtube.  Good instruction.

IP Logged

Glenn lefley

Wish I was turning right
now.

Windermere, British Columbia, Canada
Windermere
British Columbia
Canada

Oneway 2036
Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 8:20am

Is there a big learning curve on the mcnaugton or should a person catch on easily ?and having a 20 inch lathe would the medium set do for wet bowl turning or would one need the large one also ?

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 8:37am

Glenn lefley wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 8:20am:
Is there a big learning curve on the mcnaugton or should a person catch on easily

Depends on the person. When I bought mine years ago, I heard all the rumblings about "steep learning curve", so I decided to purchase Robo's video.
For myself, I really didn't learn too much from the video but what it did was reinforce what I already suspected. My learning curve was minimal.
It really depends on your level of tool skill/knowledge, everyone is different.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 9:06am

Mcnaughton system all the way. I use the standard for 95% of my coring, largest bowl cored was 22". I also picked up one of the mini cutters (middle profile) for doing the small core jobs.
There are several YouTube Vids however there is nothing better than hands on or live demo. I was fortunate to have Richard Raffin show me how to use mine, and then I got to watch Mike Mahoney demonstrate live. Great confidence builder as they both were able to demonstrate what can happen, and being live one could hear the wood and lathe sounds as the transition to end grain happens while coring. Happy coring, it is really fun and saves good wood from the shavings pile.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 10:31am

Bert Delisle wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 9:06am:
I also picked up one of the mini cutters (middle profile) for doing the small core jobs.

+1
I also have one of the smaller size knife sets. (I believe there are 4 sizes, Jumbo, Standard, Mini and Micro)
These are great for small exotic and/or expensive blanks. Coring something as small as a 3" center can save a worth while amount of money (depending on the species).

IP Logged

Kevin Campbell

WR Rocks!

Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 3:04pm

You may want to look at the MagnusCore tool, from Hannes. I don't have one, and am not connected to them in any way. I saw it on a facebook turning group. It's interesting to me, to avoid the huge expense. I've never done coring, so I'm uneducated.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #10 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 4:42pm

I also had the complete McNaughton system and it was to much of a learning curve so I traded it for the Woodcut Coring System which is so easy to use.  You can buy it at Packard turning tools.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

James Saxinger

WR Rocks!

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
Canada

NOVA 2024
GI 25-200
Reply #11 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 9:33am

Hey Glenn, KMS tools carries the woodcut bowl saver, its not showing online right now , but I was in Calgary recently and they had one on the shelf. I bought one a little over a year ago, low learning curve and Im happy with mine.  I have not tried the mcnaughton or oneway, I can't control the shape of the bowl too much, not like the mcnaughton. There are a few members in our club that have the mcnaughton, they say the same, steep learning curve and they either have sold theirs or it is sitting collecting dust.

James

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2017 at 12:32pm

Any one who has used the McNaughton swears at it.... Those who know how to use it swear by it. I can core a bowl with the McNaughton faster than I can set up the Oneway system... Dale Bonertz has a video up on You Tube as well on using this system. It really helps to have some one walk you through it the first couple of times. Start with smaller blanks, like maybe 12 by 5 inch or so in a medium density type wood like cherry or apple. Work your way up.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2017 at 1:44pm

robo_hippy wrote on Apr 30th, 2017 at 12:32pm:
Any one who has used the McNaughton swears at it.... Those who know how to use it swear by it.

Good One  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #14 - May 1st, 2017 at 8:43am

robo_hippy wrote on Apr 30th, 2017 at 12:32pm:
Those who know how to use it swear by it.

Though possibly true, it does beg another question.  Based on comments both here and elsewhere, the McNaughton does seem to have the higher learning curve and there's the regular 'collecting dust' comments as well.  All that taken together and from what I've seen in the videos and how the unit works, the Oneway may be the better of the two systems for the turner who only uses it once every now and again.  If the McNaughton does require a learning curve, is it possible that the Oneway would serve the occasional user a better option?  Just a thought...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print