• Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Spinning wheel (Read 811 times)

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Spinning wheel
Apr 28th, 2017 at 11:03am

I'm starting a spinning wheel project out of Cherry and have finished assembling the main wheel with 12 spokes. What would you guys recommend as a finish that's not glossy and easy to apply and brings out the color in Cherry?
Thanks much in advance. Geo.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Spinning wheel
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 12:13pm

I prefer to use something like General Finishes Arm-R-Seal, it comes in Gloss, Semi-Gloss and Satin.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
ane-topcoat#.WQN3q8b_rb1

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 12:14pm

BLO (boiled linseed oil), French Polish.

Which style of wheel you making?

Glenn J.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 12:33pm

Its an old fashioned type not an upright. Bought the plans on the internet from Armor Crafts.
Geo.

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 7:28pm

Cherry will naturally darken with age and exposure to sunlight.
Is this spinning wheel going to be used, or just for decoration?
If it was to be used with raw wool, or cotton, maybe nothing but melted beeswax for lubrication on the moving parts. Anything else but a poly might get into the fibers.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 10:13pm

John, spent a couple months this spring rebuilding an old family wheel circa 1850s origin belonging to in laws.   It had been used and abused, and appeared to have  been finished/refinished with boiled linseed oil about in the '20s or '30s.   The boiled linseed oil had turned black and sticky. 

We could not restore the mother-of-all and maidens, but built a new set to fit the wheel.  The bobbin mandrel was hand forged, tapered including the orfices.  Neat piece of origional work

We found that a shellac friction polish worked well on both the old parts and the new maidens and mother-of-all.  There were some traces of shellac on the old wheel, but so compromised by the boiled linseed oil that they could not be recovered. 

If you are seeking to emulate old finish, shellac or shellac base friction polish (which worked well on the flat pieces too)

Sister in law has been spinning with the wneel for about 2 months now.

« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2017 at 10:17pm by Ken Vaughan »  

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Reply #6 - May 1st, 2017 at 12:51pm

Ken, Sounds like a Walking wheel. Most people today use a treadle style.

Glenn J.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #7 - May 1st, 2017 at 10:47pm

Glenn Jacobs wrote on May 1st, 2017 at 12:51pm:
Ken, Sounds like a Walking wheel. Most people today use a treadle style.

Glenn J.

Glenn, it is a single pedal double drive wheel.  We shifted it over to a single drive scotch tension with the new mother-of-all to make it easier to use for my SIL.   It makes yarn. 

My wife is a spinner/weaver and seeks to spread the practice.  Her last several pounds of fleece have gone through a 12 volt electric eel spinner, which is on the minature end of size from a walking wheel.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - May 3rd, 2017 at 6:06pm

Is leather for the spindle bearings the way to go because they used it in the past, or should a wheel that's going to be used  for spinning be better with something else such as making them out of Delrin plastic? Both sets of plans I,m using show leather bearings?

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #9 - May 3rd, 2017 at 11:19pm

George,

On the maidens we used delryn (acetal) to mount the flyer.  Thatx is the

Material used on my wife's Ashford wheel and is used on the bobbins on her Maficraft wheels (yes, plural). 

Leather is traditional, but was far more likely used because that was what was available.  Leather tends to be abrasive and it showed on the original mandrel with deep groves worn.   

Choice for this was the sister-in-law wanted a production use outcome for the wheel.  For a decorative wheel that is intended  to be a replica, leather would be more appropriate.

SIL wanted less drag and effort and she got the best we could reasonably do.

Pumping a treadle wheel is a lot of work, and extra drag makes it more work.

The Ashford wheel has done many pounds of wool with little sign of wear.  It is pretty much idle now and the Magicraft wheel with ball bearings get the use.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Reply #10 - May 4th, 2017 at 8:59am

Thanks on that Ken. I'll skip the leather and go with some Delrin bushings mounted in the hardwood. We molded a lot of Delrin and Celcon when I was working and most of it was for bearing use.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #11 - May 4th, 2017 at 10:58am

If you build your own bobbins, acetal is what I see as bearings on most of the bobbins.  The latest spinner is an Electric Eel and uses injection moulded bobbins and have no idea of the plastic used.

The spinner is trying some 3D printed bobbins that come appart for travel.  If interested drop a PM and I will get the source from her.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Reply #12 - May 12th, 2017 at 12:52pm

Getting back to the finishing part of this forum, ai put a finish on the main wheel, the flyer, and the table so far. I used a Minwax product called "Antique Oil Finish" and really like the results. Just brush it on wet, wait a few minutes and buff it to a dull sheen. Don't know whats actually in it but nice and easy to apply and hand buff with a soft cloth. I left it dry a little too long on 1 part and the buffing turned it too shiney for what i'm looking for.
Geo.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #13 - May 12th, 2017 at 2:56pm

Sounds like a good fit.  All the old wheel (unrefinished) and most newer traditional wheels have a matte finish. 

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #14 - May 14th, 2017 at 10:31am

You're much braver than I to use a product without researching it.  A quick Internet search found reference to a Popular Woodworking article suggesting that Minwax Antique Oil is a very thin oil-varnish blend.  Try to duplicate the too shiny look on some scrap wood and after a couple days try rubbing the sheen back with some very fine steel wood.  If it is in fact an oil-varnish blend, adding a second coat may build the dried varnish film, increasing the shine.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print